Video: New Kid On The Block | Elijah Hawkins

career goals - a rapper, a psychologist or a chef. that's an interesting set of choices.

doesn't seem to be quite as outgoing or gabby as some of the other players they've talked to. nothing wrong with that. most teams have a mix of personalities.

In the Talk Gophers Bucket podcast episode from a few weeks ago, Ryan James said that the word out of summer workouts is that Hawkins is very impressive from a leadership, intensity, and hard-working perspective. So it seems like he might be the favorite to start at point to set the tone for the game.

Hard to pick, but Hawkins might be the one newcomer that I am most excited to see. We haven’t had a guard with his type of quickness since Diendre Matthieu.

Hard to pick, but Hawkins might be the one newcomer that I am most excited to see. We haven’t had a guard with his type of quickness since Diendre Matthieu.
I'm also pretty pumped to see Hawkins quickness and ability to get by people. And I would argue that quickness at the guard position will be the biggest factor in the Gophers improvement this coming season. We had one of the slowest backcourts in major college basketball last year, and it hurt in so many ways!

If Hawkins and Mitchell can improve our ability to defend on the perimeter, and if they can penetrate and kick out to open shooters, we'll be in much better shape. And it doesn't hurt that both of these guys have shown they can shoot it at a high level. It was also tiring to see us full court pressed by just about every team because of our lack of quickness.

My God, we'll be able to get the ball past mid-court in less than 9.5 seconds!

I like that he looks forward upcoming season mentioning that he is excited to play but most excited to win. Always a good attitude for your point guard.

Top Bottom