Video Game Summary: Minnesota Defeats Michigan

SHGopher

Reaction score

Gophers celebrate big win!
1704893546166.png

Coaches shake hands after Gophers big victory.
1704893276160.png

Am I the only one who is bothered a bit by Coach P always saying "Young lady" when referring to her players? The male equivalent of "Young Lady" is "gentleman" and I can't imagine a coach referring to the male Gophers with that term. It's called "Women's basketball" not "Lady's basketball." By emphasizing their youth it is in a way demeaning. You wouldn't tell an 18-year-old male soldier, "Okay young men, let's go attack their flank." You would say "Okay, men, let's go attack their flank."

Am I the only one who is bothered a bit by Coach P always saying "Young lady" when referring to her players? The male equivalent of "Young Lady" is "gentleman" and I can't imagine a coach referring to the male Gophers with that term. It's called "Women's basketball" not "Lady's basketball." By emphasizing their youth it is in a way demeaning. You wouldn't tell an 18-year-old male soldier, "Okay young men, let's go attack their flank." You would say "Okay, men, let's go attack their flank."
Relax

I admit it has bugged me some too. Not as much as if a man said it but the vast majority of the time I have heard “young lady“ used is when parents or grandparents speak to very young girls. Bugs my wife too.💁

Probably cultural or colloquial as you grew up saying that from the area you are from. I'd say it is polite way of addressing everyone. Just acknowledging these are younger women especially on this team with not a lot of older players. Doesn't bother me, and the tone doesn't show disrespect. Rather a coach be authentic by saying "our" rather than some philosophical jibberish or coach speak.

Last edited:

Hey, anyone can call me young. Please do! ;)

It irritated me when I was young but now I relish the memory!

It surprised me more than bothered me, given today's PC climate. If she keeps elevating the program and getting results, I'm going to cut her some slack on this one.

Equating basketball to war seems a bit over the top.

Kindly....get a hobby.

Literally before we complained the team was bad. Now we have to dig to find something else to complain.

Seriously people stop watching if you are seeking reasons to be upset. Like shut up. there are so many other things in this world to worry about that Coach Dawn calling her players who are younger than her "young ladies"

Seriously... what the the hell is wrong with some fans.

Weird post! We have a coach who has had success everywhere and this is the shit you bring up? Enjoy good coaching and winning for a change!

Top Bottom