Video: Ben Johnson talks to media before practice

I like the talk about a more aggressive attitude on offense and defense.

now they have to make it happen.

I like the talk about a more aggressive attitude on offense and defense.

now they have to make it happen.
Agreed! You don't go up tempo unless you have the horses to do it. I like that he believes he does.
We have just gotten no cheap buckets the last couple of years so it would be nice to see them get up court fast as opportunities exist.

Claims they can be more ‘intensive’ offensively and defensively. Think that was the word he used. Seeing is believing on the defensive side. Sounds like Hawkins, Mitchell are the primary ball handlers (obviously) with Christie and Carrington as secondary. Seemed enthusiastic about Fox. Wish they could have gotten Charlie Pride, to handle the wing or at least reignite the musical connection.

Agreed! You don't go up tempo unless you have the horses to do it. I like that he believes he does.
We have just gotten no cheap buckets the last couple of years so it would be nice to see them get up court fast as opportunities exist.

One of my favorite quotes from a college basketball coach: "All players will say they want to play faster if you ask them, even the slow ones."

Fast break opportunities are welcome when you get them but the Big Ten is a slower-paced half court league. Only 3 conference teams (the three "I" schools) were in the top half of D1 teams in pace last season and none were in the Top 100 for that measure. Half of the league teams (including us, of course) were ranked below 300. It must be said that we weren't the slowest; Northwestern, Maryland, Penn State, Purdue, and Wisconsin (of course!) were ranked below us. Mich State was only one rank ahead of us.

Top Bottom