USC: Drug Addicted Coach

Iceland12

Reaction score
It just keeps getting weirder:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/01/11/usc.watson/index.html?eref=sihp

Watson was a Bloomington kid who went to the U, end-up working for Pete Carroll, got in a car accident in a company car while under the influence and is now the target of a lawsuit against himself and USC.

"Dave Watson met Lane Kiffin, now the head coach at the University of Tennessee, when they were 8-year-old Pop Warner players in suburban Minneapolis. Watson went on to become a star lineman at Jefferson High in Bloomington, where Kiffin was the starting quarterback.

After being named Minnesota's Gatorade Player of the Year in 1993, Watson signed to play with the University of Minnesota, where he suffered a serious knee injury his sophomore year. That injury and a coaching change led him to transfer to Western Illinois, where he willed himself into becoming a Division I-AA honorable mention All-America in 1997 while playing on a broken foot. That was when his addiction to painkillers began, Watson said at his deposition. He was 21.

Three years later (while "waiting to start my college coaching career") Watson was hanging rain gutters for a living in Minnesota when he fell 25 feet off a ladder. The permanent damage to his spine, however, did not prevent Watson from pursuing the physical demands of college coaching, mainly because of his use of painkillers. His abuse of them led to a rehab stint in 2000, after which he took a coaching job at Southwest Minnesota State, then Michigan State, before his boyhood friend Kiffin -- USC's offensive play-caller at the time -- put him in touch with Pete Carroll."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/01/11/usc.watson/1.html#ixzz0cLT1EPNo
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

apologies, thought the OP was linking to the year old story.

it's my team...i'm in turmoil. feels like piling on...buy hey, when it rains it pours.

again, my apologies for not clicking on the link.

I had a chance to play for Coach Watson at SMSU. Too bad to hear this. I thought he was an excellent coach (I can see where people would say he's too hard on players though). He knew his x's and o's though and techniques. I had no idea of that injury or his addiction. I wish him the best.

Watson and Kiffin

I grew in Bloomington and knew both Watson and Kiffin.

Watson was a decent baseball player as well and he was on my team each Summer from the time we were 13-15 years old. Let's just say none of this is surprising at all.

Top Bottom