US to pull out of Syria + Turkey to invade Syria?

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Where is the U.N.? If the total U.S. troops only numbered less than 1500, none of which were combat troops, why couldn't the U.N. replace them?

Cruze

Where is the U.N.? If the total U.S. troops only numbered less than 1500, none of which were combat troops, why couldn't the U.N. replace them?
LOL. Right Wingers in America have spent the last 25 years doing everything they can to destroy the UN and everything it represents. Now they are complaining when UN troops aren't there to bail America out of a no-win situation of its' own making. No one should ever forget that this entire fiasco in the Middle East wouldn't be happening if Bush and Cheney hadn't lied about WMD to start an unwinnable war in Iraq that has spread over almost the entire Middle East. Couple that with America's total abandonment of the Palestinians in favor of Israel and it now has become a war our grandchildren and their grandchildren will have to fight. American troops aren't leaving the Middle East anytime soon. Maybe not ever.

Last edited:

Tredwell

The President is tweeting about Joe Biden while he's watching him on TV in the middle of the afternoon.

How can anyone doubt this man's foreign policy decisions.

Tredwell

Fox News’ National Security Correspondent Jennifer Griffin reported on Wednesday that sources told her President Donald Trump “went off script” during his call with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and “essentially greenlighted” Turkey’s military operation in Northern Syria

Live from the Pentagon, Griffin declared, “I’m told by well-placed sources that the president ‘went off script’ from what his national security team gave him as talking points in his phone conversation with the Turkish president.”

“Shock continues to reverberate through the U.S. military that the White House essentially greenlighted this Turkish operation during that conversation. As one senior military source put it to me, ‘A lot of people will die. A complete withdrawal of U.S. forces from Syria is now all but assured,'” she continued, adding, “Sources also tell Fox the Turkish operation is much broader than originally believed, far wider, far deeper than expected.”

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/fox-news-correspondent-trump-went-off-script-during-call-with-turkey-shock-still-spreading-through-military/

howeda7

Fox News’ National Security Correspondent Jennifer Griffin reported on Wednesday that sources told her President Donald Trump “went off script” during his call with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and “essentially greenlighted” Turkey’s military operation in Northern Syria

Live from the Pentagon, Griffin declared, “I’m told by well-placed sources that the president ‘went off script’ from what his national security team gave him as talking points in his phone conversation with the Turkish president.”

“Shock continues to reverberate through the U.S. military that the White House essentially greenlighted this Turkish operation during that conversation. As one senior military source put it to me, ‘A lot of people will die. A complete withdrawal of U.S. forces from Syria is now all but assured,'” she continued, adding, “Sources also tell Fox the Turkish operation is much broader than originally believed, far wider, far deeper than expected.”

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/fox-news-correspondent-trump-went-off-script-during-call-with-turkey-shock-still-spreading-through-military/
Pretty much what we all knew. Done on a whim by a stable genius.

Section2

Don't care, I want to withdraw from the middle east. A lot of people will die regardless of our actions. If you support US military intervention in the region, that's fine, I just disagree.

Section2

Pretty much what we all knew. Done on a whim by a stable genius.
Most people would either agree with the decision or disagree. Howie does neither (because coward) and opposes that it was done on a whim. Of course, we don't know that.

Tredwell

“I have a little conflict of interest because I have a major, major building in Istanbul,” Trump said in 2015. “It’s a tremendously successful job. It’s called Trump Towers — two towers, instead of one, not the usual one, it’s two,” Trump said in an interview with Stephen Bannon, then chairman of Breitbart News.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jimmy Carter sold his peanut farm when he became President.

Dean S

Turkish artillery and aircraft

I’m willing to give Trump the benefit of the doubt on this move, but I also believe that it could end up with unintended consequences. Hopefully, Turkey will honor its commitment not to destroy the Kurds, and Trump has threatened to take it out on Turkey economically if they do. I do feel for the Kurds b/c they sacrificed many lives fighting ISIS, but it’s not like they haven’t benefited from the US at great costs to us either, primarily by defeating Saddam Hussein.

Honestly though, I think this is more about a campaign promise than strategic thinking, b/c Trump hasn’t had much to point at as far as reducing military presence in foreign conflicts. It may end up costing us more later if ISIS is reconstituted or greater turmoil drags us back into the region under more difficult circumstances.
Kurdish held towns are now subject to random bombardment by Turkish artillery. Non combatants are experiencing heavy casualties and major buildings are being crumbled. I'll tell you what is strategic about this type of attack: winter. Winter will end up killing thousands more as the Turks have crippled the shelters for thousands of people in Syria. It is genocide pure and simple.

Ignatius L Hoops

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/465098-trump-defends-syria-move-the-kurds-didnt-help-us-in-normandy

Logic abounds:

“The Kurds are fighting for their land,” Trump told reporters at the White House during an event in the Roosevelt Room.

“And as somebody wrote in a very, very powerful article today, they didn’t help us in the second World War, they didn’t help us with Normandy as an example. They mentioned names of different battles. But they’re there to help us with their land and that’s a different thing.”

KillerGopherFan

Haven’t read this thread the last couple days, but I have a queasy feeling about how this is going down.

I understand the desire to get out of the middle of these conflicts, but our departure may cost a lot of Kurds lives. I don’t trust Erdogan.

I do think that Congress should step up and authorize military actions if all they’re going to do is complain about Trump’s withdrawal.

It’s early yet, but I think Trump may have handled this departure wrong. I said before, I think it’s more about campaign promises than strategic thinking.

I’m very concern about what’s going to happen to these ISIS POWs. We might be back there fighting again without the support of Kurds next time.

JimmyJamesMD

Haven’t read this thread the last couple days, but I have a queasy feeling about how this is going down.

I understand the desire to get out of the middle of these conflicts, but our departure may cost a lot of Kurds lives. I don’t trust Erdogan.

I do think that Congress should step up and authorize military actions if all they’re going to do is complain about Trump’s withdrawal.

It’s early yet, but I think Trump may have handled this departure wrong. I said before, I think it’s more about campaign promises than strategic thinking.

I’m very concern about what’s going to happen to these ISIS POWs. We might be back there fighting again without the support of Kurds next time.
Lets not pretend the US had anything to do with taking out ISIS. That was all Russia, Syria, and Iran. Instead, we were propping up ISIS

Cruze

Nixon was the most corrupt president of the 20th Century. I think we already have a pretty good idea who the most corrupt president of the 21st Century is going to be.

Donald Trump's longtime business connections in Turkey back in the spotlight

A call Sunday between Trump and Erdogan, which NBC News reported was set up to ease Erdogan’s anger for not getting a one-on-one meeting with Trump at last month’s United Nations General Assembly gathering, was the latest chapter in a relationship that goes back to before the president’s election and marked yet another milestone Tuesday when Trump announced that he is inviting Erdogan to the White House in November.

Trump has appeared to side with Erdogan at times throughout his presidency. For example, when Republican senators sought to punish Turkey this summer for its purchase of a Russian missile defense system by pushing the president to impose congressionally mandated sanctions, Trump invited them to a White House meeting to ask for "flexibility" in dealing with the issue. Those sanctions have not been implemented.

And the fact that Trump made his decision to pull the U.S. troops out of Syria shortly after the phone call with Erdogan has raised alarm bells from policymakers, as well as government ethics watchdog groups who have long seen Trump’s extensive business interests as a potential area for conflicts of interest.

TRUMP TOWERS - ISTANBUL, TURKEY

Trump and his family have long had business ties in and with Turkey, the most visible example being the Trump Towers Istanbul, which licenses the Trump name. The Trump Organization describes the buildings on its website as “a landmark in the historic city of Istanbul” and it is the organization’s first and only office and residential tower in Europe, with offices, apartments and upscale shops. The Washington Post has reported that the organization was paid up to $10 million to put the Trump name on the two buildings.

Erdogan attended the opening ceremony of the office and residential towers in 2012 and Ivanka Trump tweeted a message thanking him for attending, although a photo of Erdogan at the ribbon cutting has been removed from his Facebook page.

In 2015, Trump acknowledged having a potential “conflict” when it came to issues involving Turkey. “I have a little conflict of interest because I have a major, major building in Istanbul,” Trump said in 2015. “It’s a tremendously successful job. It’s called Trump Towers — two towers, instead of one, not the usual one, it’s two,” Trump said in an interview with Stephen Bannon, then chairman of Breitbart News.

A lawsuit filed by 29 senators and 186 House Democrats — one of three lawsuits that have alleged that Trump is in violation of the Constitution’s emoluments clauses, which bar the president from receiving monetary or other benefits of value from foreign or U.S. state entities while in office — claims that Turkey has among the highest number of foreign business ventures in which Trump is at least a partial owner, with 119 listed. Others include China, with 115, and the Philippines, with 121.

Businesses linked to the Turkish government are also major patrons of the Trump Organization. Turkish officials have made 14 visits to Trump properties, more than any other country, according to an analysis performed for NBC News by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, or CREW.

In the summer of 2016, Erdogan called for the removal of the Trump name from the buildings after Trump called for a ban on individuals from certain Muslim countries traveling to the United States. Then, in November 2016, retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, soon to be Trump's first national security adviser, wrote an op-ed favorable to Erdogan, who has consolidated his power and locked up thousands of people after a failed 2016 military coup, including many who had nothing to do with it.

Flynn, who was paid $530,000 for consulting work in Turkey prior to the 2016 election, violated U.S. law in not registering with the U.S. government for the work until almost a month after he was fired as Trump’s national security adviser in February 2017.

Trump, at the time, said the U.S. shouldn’t criticize Erdogan for a crackdown that’s included taking over dozens of television and radio stations and arresting reporters, according to Human Rights Watch. He even told reporters he gave “great credit to him for turning it around."

Read complete article at: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/trump-impeachment-inquiry/donald-trump-s-longtime-business-connections-turkey-back-spotlight-n1064011

Last edited:

Latest profile posts

If you're going bear hunting, you better be prepared to go get the bear.
Reactions: Face The Facts
60's Guy
If you go bear hunting what’s the plan if you get one? (1) Heavy to get out of the woods? (2) Food value? (3) Expensive rug!
Just curious...obviously bear 🐻 hunting would be down on my list of things to do.