US Bank Stadium needs $280M in maintenance through 2033

Per the article:

The $48MM is for upgraded perimeter security, not deferred maintenance, or "a host of other problems" as indicated. The OP is misleading at best, and disingenuous at worst.
What are your thoughts on the $280M figure, let’s say minus the $48M then?

I have no idea what similar structures are having to spend, but the obvious one to try to compare to would be the Cowboys stadium. I believe same architect (HKS), though not sure if same general contractor.

But then perhaps they’d blame substantial differences on the cold weather?

Regardless though, it seems like a lot??

I got a kick out of that the internal TV distribution system needs to be replaced after 7 years?? Really?? The TVs all look fine when I’ve gone to games there. Do they need to all be 4K now? I doubt the system has any physically worn out parts?

I wanna see them let it go into disrepair so badly that it begins to look akin to this guy

Attachments

• Star_Wars_Sandcrawler.png
    Star_Wars_Sandcrawler.png
    207.9 KB · Views: 2

When does the public get their share of the profits?

When then-Gov. Mark Dayton and state lawmakers approved the stadium's construction in 2012, they legalized electronic pull tabs and taxed the revenue to make $30 million yearly debt payments. After a slow start, electronic pull tabs have soared in popularity, leaving the reserve fund flush with cash...

...Walz's plan wouldn't eliminate the electronic pull tab tax once the stadium is paid off. Instead, the tax revenue would shift into the general fund, where it would pay for other state initiatives.

I believe there's been arguing over the latter part.

Say it was $537 per man-hour and it took 1000 total man-hours, from traveling up here with a team of 20 (made that up) to do the physical inspecting, documenting, and testing of systems, then analyzing the results and data, and finally coming up with the report and conclusions and presenting them to the USBS management board.

Reasonable or not?

Lawyers charge a lot per hour. I think here too, it is what it is.

Depending on whether they are using say, sophisticated imaging or seismic devices to gauge whether a structure is sound the cost could be legitimate, but my instincts are that it is not. I could be wrong. A couple structural engineers eyeballing things, knocking on walls for a few days is different.

HVAC has know estimated life cycle hours. Window and door seals. Screens have an estimated hourly life before they lose luminance. Appliances, computers all need to be replaced on a schedule. These are all mostly predictable. Some can be fixed as they break, should one decide it makes sense. But if it’s not your money anyway… well that always changes things.

Until proven otherwise I’ll assume the cost was inflated by a multiple of say, 10x, if than they used a third party engineering and systems analysis. But I concede I’m not an expert in inspecting this controversial landmark.

This is a really bizarre thread with zero relevance to college football or the gophers.
That is my ONLY complaint with the mods of this site. Please delete this thread as it has NOTHING to do with Gophers football. Even remotely.

It ends when the geese finally refuse to lay any more golden eggs.
Well, the goose is laying shit now when it comes to US Bank Stadium. I would hope in the future, the public be better aware of ongoing costs if this is the new trend as to repairs etc.

That is my ONLY complaint with the mods of this site. Please delete this thread as it has NOTHING to do with Gophers football. Even remotely.
Why do you care? Why do you click on it? Why do you read it?
It is relevant in lots of ways to Gopher football and Gopher sports. The baseball team plays games there. Some of the Gophers and some of some of their opponents go onto to play in the NFL and play there. The Final Four was there. It’s in Minnesota…it affects the taxpayers of Minnesota. It about sports including football. I’d prefer to be aware of what’s going on and make the decision on my own if I chose to ignore the thread rather than somebody else decide for me.

Then don't click on it, easy. Once again, it's the off-season.

What are your thoughts on the $280M figure, let’s say minus the $48M then?

I have no idea what similar structures are having to spend, but the obvious one to try to compare to would be the Cowboys stadium. I believe same architect (HKS), though not sure if same general contractor.

But then perhaps they’d blame substantial differences on the cold weather?

Regardless though, it seems like a lot??

I got a kick out of that the internal TV distribution system needs to be replaced after 7 years?? Really?? The TVs all look fine when I’ve gone to games there. Do they need to all be 4K now? I doubt the system has any physically worn out parts?
From article:

"U.S. Bank Stadium is not the only NFL venue that faces high maintenance costs. According to a 2019 report by Forbes, stadiums typically need about 2% of their construction cost per year for repairs and upgrades.

For example, MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, which opened in 2010 and hosts both the New York Giants and Jets, needs about $40 million per year for maintenance.

Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California, which opened in 2014 and hosts the San Francisco 49ers, needs about $28 million per year."

Why do you care? Why do you click on it? Why do you read it?
It is relevant in lots of ways to Gopher football and Gopher sports. The baseball team plays games there. Some of the Gophers and some of some of their opponents go onto to play in the NFL and play there. The Final Four was there. It’s in Minnesota…it affects the taxpayers of Minnesota. It about sports including football. I’d prefer to be aware of what’s going on and make the decision on my own if I chose to ignore the thread rather than somebody else decide for me.
Really? Waiting for the connection. OK 60's guy. Since some Gophers players go onto play in the NFL, please give us an update on every stadium they play in. I'll wait. This thread is very very unrelated to Gophers football. I come to this site to rad about Gophers football. Wish the mids would delete this thread or move it somewhere.

Really? Waiting for the connection. OK 60's guy. Since some Gophers players go onto play in the NFL, please give us an update on every stadium they play in. I'll wait. This thread is very very unrelated to Gophers football. I come to this site to rad about Gophers football. Wish the mids would delete this thread or move it somewhere.
Why even bother to click on the thread much less add multiple comments?

There's approximately 30 threads on page 1 that I don't bother with. Pretty easy to ignore any and all of them without fear of missing out.

Well, the goose is laying shit now when it comes to US Bank Stadium. I would hope in the future, the public be better aware of ongoing costs if this is the new trend as to repairs etc.

I doubt it. The money will be found. Right now, it's in your pockets (and mine). But it will soon find it's way to a chosen repair contractor's pockets.

Gotta keep the Taj MaZygi spruced up!

How about this for relevance? The Vikings used the Gopher stadium for games during construction of US Bank Stadium. Correct? (Seems like a connection?) AND, If the problems at US Bank become severe enough or someone determines that US Bank is a safety hazard, then the Vikings will be playing games again at Huntington Bank Stadium....home of the Gophers. Can't get too much more Gopher football topical than that.

Per the article:

The $48MM is for upgraded perimeter security, not deferred maintenance, or "a host of other problems" as indicated. The OP is misleading at best, and disingenuous at worst.
$48 MM to “upgrade security” is not a major problem? Geezus! That’s about as disingenuous as it gets. Go ahead, drink your koolaid.

Two random thoughts. One is that both teams were tied together at the Metrodome/ dump. Two the repair money is basically the cost of Huntington Bank Stadium. TCF/ Huntington Bank Stadium seems like a great bargin.

From article:

"U.S. Bank Stadium is not the only NFL venue that faces high maintenance costs. According to a 2019 report by Forbes, stadiums typically need about 2% of their construction cost per year for repairs and upgrades.

For example, MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, which opened in 2010 and hosts both the New York Giants and Jets, needs about $40 million per year for maintenance.

Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California, which opened in 2014 and hosts the San Francisco 49ers, needs about $28 million per year."
Fair enough.

I think the challenges are being made more along the lines of:

if you know you can get that 2% annual into the budget from the get-go, and you know you can find ways to spend that money ... why wouldn't you do that?

You can always "find" things that "need" to be replaced.

Planned obsolescence.

Like that system that distributes TV (I assumed they're talking about the closed-circuit network) throughout the stadium. Bull-friggin-s__t that that system has "reached the end of its life". BS! It has worked perfectly well for 7 years, and could go on exactly doing the same job for another 33 years.

More than likely, whatever company makes the system, offers a limited-term for support of the system, specifically the software, and that's why they want/need to replace it. You don't want to be caught with your pants around your ankles with a company that refuses to support you because the system is "too old".

They know they've got you. Bottom line.

Why anything that says "wedding" or "newborn" or a host of other things, which is exactly the same thing as when it's not for those things, gets a 1000% markup. They know they have you.

It is an odd building so you are gonna have odd costs. It’s like those multi gabled homes….enjoy the future roofing costs. I know I know - no one stays in their home for 20 years.

Top Bottom