Updated Big Ten Tournament Bracket (Feb. 23)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Gophers improved 3 spots over the weekend, thanks to a "super Sunday" in the Big 10.

Thursday, March 12 (1st Round)
11 a.m. -- #8 Michigan (7-8) vs. #9 Northwestern (5-9)
1:30 p.m. -- #7 Ohio State (7-7) vs. #10 Iowa (4-10)
4 p.m. -- #6 Wisconsin (8-7) vs. #11 Indiana (1-13)

Friday, March 13 (Quarterfinals)
11 a.m. -- #1 Michigan State (11-3) vs. Michigan/Northwestern winner
1:30 p.m. -- #4 Penn State (8-6) vs. #5 GOPHERS (8-7)
5:30 p.m. -- #2 Purdue (10-4) vs. Ohio State/Iowa winner
8 p.m. -- #3 Illinois (10-5) vs. Wisconsin/Indiana winner

This is making the March 4 tilt against the Badgers look huge for reasons other than bragging and recruiting.

Not to get to far ahead of ourselves but I think the likely outcome for our competition is mixed leading up to the T. If we pull out a victory thursday, we might squeek out a third seed.

Good point Holy Man.

All 3 results will be significant, obviously, but the Badger game is the most important one remaining on our schedule. If we complete the sweep, IMO it would be nearly impossible for the Badgers to get selected ahead of us, though it's still entirely possible both of us will make it.

The only advantage the Badgers have over us is their strength of schedule; that's it. But that doesn't mean as much when you consider they went 1-3 with their most significant nonconference games (losses at Marquette, UConn on a neutral floor & Texas at home, win at Va Tech). A sweep would give us an obvious advantage, not to mention as we speak we have more top-50 wins (4 to 2) and less bad losses (1 to 0). What's kinda' crazy is that our win at Iowa is looking better & better by the minute. We avoided a "bad loss", while other Big 10 bubble teams (Badgers & Michigan) lost in Iowa City.

Now if you asked me if I think the Gophers will beat the Badgers in Round 2, that's another story. Minus their late-game meltdown against MSU, the Badgers are playing well lately. Nevertheless, it's nice to know if we can complete the sweep (a big if), the Badgers will have little reason to complain if we got selected & they didn't.

I would just like to point out a sweep is a likely third place finish as Illinois also plays MSU. We'll be tied in the B10, beat them twice heads up, and have a half game edge overall. Similar fate for Wisconsin. Seems odd to talk about given the last couple of weeks, but it's the likley outcome...if we sweep.

I think a victory @ IL Thurs is highly unlikely. Champaign is one of the toughest places to play, and we rarely win there - even with our best teams.

Unlikely? Yes. All road games against quality opponents are likely losses. Highly? No. Simply because of our first meeting.

Certainly a sweep of the Badgers would make the Gophers a lock if the Badgers were selected. I don't see how both teams would not go at 10-8, but if they were to split them, the sweep would have to be the deciding factor, even though the Badgers schedule has been much tougher.

The problem for the Gophers would be losing to the Badgers, which is certainly a possibility. If the Gophers lose to Illinois and the Badgers, would they make it at 9-9?

The Badgers will have a similar home game against Michigan. If we were to lose and then lose to Minnesota, would we make it at 9-9? I am not sure about that either.

It will be a very interesting last two weeks, that is for sure.

I know the Badgers will certainly want some payback on March 4th, but I certainly would not want that game to be a must win.

GV,

10-8 should do it for both teams, no matter what happens in Indy. 9-9 and both/either of us should go into Indy thinking we need to win 1 or perhaps 2 to seal the deal.

Penn State is the only Big 10 team I do not think would be a lock heading to Indy with a 10-8 regular-season mark. Simply a horrific nonconference schedule (currently #321 of 343 in the nation) & no nonconference wins of note, so the Nitts might need an extra win.

There is a very real chance there could be a 4 way tie for fourth at 10-8 with Minnesota, Wisconsin, Penn State and Ohio State.

Any idea how the tie breaking scenario would go?

Combined records against each other is the first tie breaker I believe.

If UW wins at Minny they should have any 4 way tie breakers.
Start with the split of Minny and having already beaten PSU twice and beating OSU last week.

Top Bottom