Univ. of Ankle Injuries has a new member

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Myron's blog:

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs.../?location_refer=Homepage:PromoScroller:Blogs

Carter, Hoffarber likely out against SDSU Wednesday; Bostick hurts ankle, too
Posted on December 9th, 2008 – 11:32 AM
By Myron Medcalf
Two Minnesota sophomores, guard Blake Hoffarber and forward Paul Carter, will probably miss Wednesday’s home matchup against South Dakota State, the team’s last game until a Dec. 20 showdown against Louisville, according to head coach Tubby Smith. Both Hoffarber and Carter are nursing ankle sprains suffered in recent weeks.

They worked out today with trainers during and after practice. Hoffarber looked good, but Carter appeared to be in pain as he ran half-speed sprints and worked on various skills. Lawrence Westbrook will start against SDSU because of Hoffarber’s injury, Smith said.

Also, junior guard/forward Devron Bostick turned his ankle in Tuesday morning’s practice. Head coach Tubby Smith said he hopes the Wisconsin native’s injury isn’t severe enough to keep him out of Wednesday’s game.

-Former Star Tribune Metro Player of the Year Anthony Tucker, Iowa’s leading scorer at 13.1 points per game, was charged with public intoxication after registering a .194 blood-alcohol level over the weekend. Tucker, a freshman, was suspended indefinitely by Todd Lickliter Sunday. He will not play in Tuesday night’s game against Northern Iowa. The former Minnetonka star led his team to a state title last season.

-Randy Rosetta of the Baton Rouge Advocate ranked the Gophers No. 24 in this week’s AP poll.

-After Saturday’s win over Cornell, Westbrook, Minnesota’s leading scorer, said he wished the Gophers were playing Louisville “tomorrow” instead of next week. Smith said he doesn’t want the Gophers to overlook South Dakota State, a team that outrebounded Minnesota 41-26 in a 78-72 win last season. Junior Damian Johnson also said that he hoped all of the Gophers were focused on SDSU.

The Gophers clearly didn’t expect Cornell to pose some of the challenges it did Saturday. They only won because or a monster second half. We’ll see how prepared they are Wednesday.

Go Gophers!!

Bleed

As long as we don't become the University of ACL's, we'll survive it.

Now is when our new-found depth is kicking in. Would like to be full strength, obviously, but Gophers are much more equipped to handle injuries now than in the recent past.

I can't wait to see what this group can do when everyone is healthy... hopefully by Louisville or MSU!!

Injuries are a part of it. Now is when Tubby will show his coaching versatility too, as other members of the team need to pitch in. Our up and coming depth will prove valuable, as more players are needed to fill in for the injured PUPS. GO GOPHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully he gets Lickliter's message.

I can't wait to see what this group can do when everyone is healthy... hopefully by Louisville or MSU!!

Honestly, sometimes injuries actually help...I know that sounds backwards, but now other kids will get more playing time, and with less rotations in and out, the players should have extra time on the court, staying warm (as opposed to cooling on the bench).

As captain of a 10-player intramural team, you might be very surprised at our monster performances with 5-7 players compared to our mediocre performances with 9-10 players. I attribute it to players having more game time / mental satisfaction and comfort. I realize that intramural level sports are much different than D-1 sports, but the idea above should be applicable to all levels of sports.

If I'm Tubby, I'm not fretting about this much at all. Instead, you work a slightly different game plan, adjust, and the players will fill their roles and step up appropriately. It might be harder on us fans than the team.

Honestly, sometimes injuries actually help...I know that sounds backwards, but now other kids will get more playing time, and with less rotations in and out, the players should have extra time on the court, staying warm (as opposed to cooling on the bench).

I completely agree with this. If there's any upside to having this weak NC schedule, it's that players like DJ, Westbrook, Blake and PC can be injured, it doesn't hurt us now, because we're still pulling out wins. By having those other guys get some PT, it does nothing but make us more deep, and make our other guys better for BT season.

Btw - word on the street is IF Bostick does miss tomorrow's game, that will be the only game he will miss. His injury is not severe enough to keep him out longer than that, if it even keeps him out one game.

With Bostick, I say we should plan to keep him out and let him rest unless we absolutely need him. We want those guys healthy for Louisville (who I believe we have a good chance of beating).

Top Bottom