UNC fires Butch Davis

Crazy to do this weeks before practice begins.

I'm guessing Withers is out looking for a new DC gig. This stands out because he was the start of the Brewster Coordinator revolving door. IIRC Withers was one and done.

I am sure the rest of the coaching staff will remain in place for the season. I haven't read the article yet but it would be extremely difficult to bring in a new staff, especially if it were for only 1 year. I would expect an interim coach to be named with a full search after the season.

Withers is a real solid dc that simply wasn't ready to take over when he was the gophers dc. He wasn't prepared to adjust his schemes to having inferior talent. He was a close second behind roof as the best asst coach brewster had on staff during his tenure IMO.

No knock on Withers, it just popped in my head, that he was the first Coordinator to leave. Admittedly, Roof hurt more because the D was starting to come to form under his lead.

Talk about ripping the heart out of that fan base-doing something like this so soon before the season starts. What a waste to have waited so long only to pull the trigger at this time of the year. In the end though, Butch Davis is a clown and UNC knew the risks involved when making the hire.

It sounds like John Blake was a part of the problem. I lived in Dallas in the mid -90's when Blake was a Cowboy assistant. I remember one of the talk show guys say that Blake was one of the most fake people he had met in sports.

I think Withers was a good choice for the interim job. I know he wasn't very popular here when he was DC under Brewster, largely because his defenses were too complex for the talent he had and he did not make adjustments, but he built a hell of a D at UNC. I think he could get the job permanently but he is in for a rough time this season.

Top Bottom