UK Walk-On awarded scholarship

Reaction score
For those of you who continue to discuss UK basketball/Calipari, here is the latest news.

LEXINGTON, Ky. – UK men's basketball senior Mark Krebs has been awarded the team's 13th and final scholarship for the 2009-10 season.

Krebs, who was a walk-on the previous two seasons, has seen action in 17 career games, including 13 games last year. The Newport, Ky., native averaged 7.5 minutes in UK's exhibition season last year. He went 2-2 from behind the three-point line against Ouachita Baptist and recorded a steal. He tallied a career high five minutes against Mississippi Valley State last year.

"I thought about this over the weekend," said head coach John Calipari. "And after I met with him and heard him say, 'Coach, all I want is to be a part of the Kentucky basketball program,' I knew what we had to do."

For those of you who continue to discuss UK basketball/Calipari, here is the latest news.

LEXINGTON, Ky. – UK men's basketball senior Mark Krebs has been awarded the team's 13th and final scholarship for the 2009-10 season.

Krebs, who was a walk-on the previous two seasons, has seen action in 17 career games, including 13 games last year. The Newport, Ky., native averaged 7.5 minutes in UK's exhibition season last year. He went 2-2 from behind the three-point line against Ouachita Baptist and recorded a steal. He tallied a career high five minutes against Mississippi Valley State last year.

"I thought about this over the weekend," said head coach John Calipari. "And after I met with him and heard him say, 'Coach, all I want is to be a part of the Kentucky basketball program,' I knew what we had to do."

Pretty commonplace for UK to award its (open) 13th scholarship to senior walk-ons. Steve Masiello and Junior Braddy come to mind.

Tubby brought Krebs to UK as walk-on but he sat out a year as a redshirt transfer.

I know Matt Painter has done this in the past. I wish it was a common thing in college sports.

I guess the way I look at it is that if, as a coach, I had an extra scholarship I would give it to the most senior walk on under the condition that it is good for one year. So every year you end up with the max amount of scholarship.

JMO ..but this message belongs in the Off Topic section of Gopherhole

I know Matt Painter has done this in the past. I wish it was a common thing in college sports.

I guess the way I look at it is that if, as a coach, I had an extra scholarship I would give it to the most senior walk on under the condition that it is good for one year. So every year you end up with the max amount of scholarship.

Painter has 5 walk-ons this year, including 1 senior (Wohlford) who will probably get a 'ship this year.

Top Bottom