Uh-oh! Maryland job might opening up soon

I'm sure Maryland fans are wondering if 2002 ever happened. I have a feeling that this break-up will get very messy before it is over. Any it would be a great time for Joel to start looking up Flip's phone number.

Does Flip get the practice facility too? j/k

Tubby - the winters here are usually not this bad - really!

Does Flip get the practice facility too? j/k

Flip's got enough money to build his own. :)

Why is it when a Minnesota coach is successful we expect him to take the next job out of here ? Lol.

Tubby's not going anywhere.

Why is it when a Minnesota coach is successful we expect him to take the next job out of here ? Lol.
Only because the word on the street is that Tubby wasn't going to really consider any job unless it was at Maryland (where he grew up and has family).

Sounds kind of like the Lou Holtz situation..."I won't take any coaching position, unless it's at Notre Dame." We all know how that turned out for the U.

What do you mean "Uh-oh!", Art? You and the rest of the resident trolls will be thrilled if Tubby leaves.

I guess you mean it in a "feigning concern and taunting the Gopher fans on the board" kind of way.

Thanks for the info, Richard.

What I know of the situation (which I've followed closely for the past 5 years)...

Gary Williams hates Debbie Yow (A.D.). Debbie Yow hates Gary Williams. "Hate" is the appropriate word to describe their feelings. Gary has been taking shots at the admin for Debbie's entire tenure as A.D. Debbie has publically stated her disdain for Gary as a person. Gary's saving grace has been his success on the court. As you all know, that success has been absent for the past 5 years. It also got ugly when it was reported that not a single player in a 4 year span graduated from Maryland earlier this decade. Maryland was the only D1 school that could make that dubious claim and Debbie relished in that fact to point to his faults.

It will end ugly with parting shots from both and I would be shocked if it doesn't end sometime shortly after this season ends. Make no mistake...there is a very good chance that the Maryland head coaching position will be available this offseason. Gary has lost many of his supporters(boosters, fans, others in the athletic department). He's now on an island alone and that's not a good place to be when the A.D. would love nothing more than to fire you.

I'm not going to speculate on Tubby's connection to all of this. Just letting it be known that the Maryland job will most likely be available sometime in March or April.

He's now on an island alone and that's not a good place to be when the A.D. would love nothing more than to fire you.

Yeah, this sounds like a great situation for any Head Coach. Having the AD/Assistant AD and your feud taken into the media so you can take shots at each other. Versus Maturi worshiping the ground that Tubby walks on and wants nothing more than to see him happy.

Life is good for Tubby. He's not going anywhere.

Personally, I think Maryland would be better off with a young up and coming coach that will be there for a long time. This opinion is in no way biased by the immense pain and anguish I would feel if Tubby left MN.

After a little research Maryland does NOT have a basketball practice building. It is worth noting though they openned the Comcast Center in 2002 as a brand new basketball arena with a capacity of 17950. From the few pictures I looked at for a practice area they are about to pull back the front X number of rows on each side to be able to fit a basketball court running the opposite direction than the main court(kinda like the Taylor Center at MSU-Mankato, if that helps). It also looked like a modern NBA arena(like the Kohl Center, Value City Arena, Bryce Jordan Center) meaning it has very little charater compared to the Barn. I just thought I would share.

Tubby Is Tellling Recruits

That he is definitely going to be here for their four years. He has no desire to coach elsewhere. That is why he has great recruiting success. I for one think the Tubster is a man of his word.

Maryland is the only one the worries me out of all the job openings because they can pull at the family connection and it's home, but Mn also has some strong family advantages with Saul on the staff and the other son coaching at Southwest. I don't think tubby is going anywhere, but in the college athletics world, never say never. The good news is it won't take long for Minnesota to name his replacement if he did leave, it's a pretty obvious choice and that person would Flip for the job and the timing would be perfect.

I love how all the haters are coming out hoping and praying Tuby leaves Minnesota, our success is eating them up inside, its quite hilarious.

Couldn't have said it any better, Herbs.

ESPN just reported during the gamebreak of the Duke - WF game that Tubby is staying. Forever.

Maryland is the only one the worries me out of all the job openings because they can pull at the family connection and it's home, but Mn also has some strong family advantages with Saul on the staff and the other son coaching at Southwest. I don't think tubby is going anywhere, but in the college athletics world, never say never. The good news is it won't take long for Minnesota to name his replacement if he did leave, it's a pretty obvious choice and that person would Flip for the job and the timing would be perfect.

Say never. He's not going to leave Minnesota until he retires.

Maryland might have made sense for both parties two years ago. I think Tubby might have looked at a ten year window to establish himself at a program when he left Kentucky. I wonder in hindsight if Maturi didn't want anything to do with Majerus and was relieved that he got someone to quiet his boosters (myself included).

Maryland's facilities and local recruiting pool would make it a vertical move for even some perennial top 25 teams. This would be the job for Sean Miller if thinks he might want to bolt Xavier at some point. Jamie Dixon could consider the job and tearing up his new extension if the money was considerably more.

Maryland is the only opening (if it becomes available) that concerns me. Not worried about Alabama or Arizona, but College Park has dynamics that are quite a bit more worrisome.

Art's right,

We should all start freaking out right now!!! The Maryland job could be open. And Arizona and Alabama too!!! And gee, maybe the NJIT, IUPUI, Prairie View A&M and Central Connecticut State jobs could be available!!!

Yep, the best thing for all us would be to freak out about losing Tubby...:rolleyes:

Who's freaking out? I'm certainly not. Sounds to me like the folks freaking out are the ones who won't even consider the possibility that Tubby would leave Minnesota.

Personally, I think Tubby is going to stay here and turn down other coaching overtures, but if the past has taught us anything about college coaches, it's "never say never," no matter what they say to the public. I'm going to enjoy his tenure at Minnesota, however long or short that may be.

Who's freaking out? I'm certainly not. Sounds to me like the folks freaking out are the ones who won't even consider the possibility that Tubby would leave Minnesota.

Personally, I think Tubby is going to stay here and turn down other coaching overtures, but if the past has taught us anything about college coaches, it's "never say never," no matter what they say to the public.

I'm not freaking out either. But if there are going to be posts about every single BCS job opening between now and the end of the season, things are going to get out of control for certain folks.

Frankly, I'm not losing any sleep over whether Tubby stays or not. I'm with you, I would be really surprised if he takes another job based on what other people have posted previously. But if everytime there is some kind of coaching turmoil at a big school and that info ends up being posted here along with the "Tubby is leaving" implication, things are going to be really sour around here...

Top Bottom