Udoibok to Transfer

Thanks for being part of the team. Good luck to you.

Don't know the numbers, but so much of seeing the field at this level is speed. Some of our bigger WR's are struggling to find the field. Hope he gets good run where he lands.

I know some gnash teeth about the portal, but it’s a chance to continually reset your roster. With a couple exceptions, the guys leaving didn’t appear likely to help the Gophers much going forward.

Not that every incoming transfer will set the world on fire. But better to bring in someone who has a better chance of contributing than the guy he’s replacing.

Don't know the numbers, but so much of seeing the field at this level is speed. Some of our bigger WR's are struggling to find the field. Hope he gets good run where he lands.
Kill years were a prime example of that. Had a run of big WR who never saw the field. Now speed might not have been the only issue there but would be willing to bet it was a big part of it.

I know some gnash teeth about the portal, but it’s a chance to continually reset your roster. With a couple exceptions, the guys leaving didn’t appear likely to help the Gophers much going forward.

Not that every incoming transfer will set the world on fire. But better to bring in someone who has a better chance of contributing than the guy he’s replacing.
Gophers currently sitting in the sweet spot for the portal with a natural attrition of guys not in line to play here being replaced by guys likely to play and contribute.

Kill years were a prime example of that. Had a run of big WR who never saw the field. Now speed might not have been the only issue there but would be willing to bet it was a big part of it.
The infamous video at 2014 Citrus bowl: "look at the redshirts, they look like legit WRs"....and then none of them panned out

I think he could end up at St. Johns. He was recruited there out of high school -- his brother went there. Might be more fun to compete for a DIII national title than for the Pioneer League title.
Probably equal chance at the pros, from either place frankly, as well.

Low, of course, but more than zero. Wasn't there just a QB or OL (can't remember) from St John's that was drafted?

EDIT: Ben Bartch 5th round 2020 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Bartch

Other then Ohio, what Big 10 teams throws the ball? Why would a QB or WR want to play on a team that does not throw the ball?

Last edited:

Other then Ohio, what Big 10 teams throw the ball? Why would a QB or WR want to play on a team that does not throw the ball?
Maryland, Purdue?

Other then Ohio, what Big 10 teams throw the ball? Why would a QB or WR want to play on a team that does not throw the ball?
Every big ten team throws the ball. Purdue throws the ball a lot. I can think of a few reasons why a QB or WR would want to play in the Big Ten....hell your kid apparently did.

Every big ten team throws the ball. Purdue throws the ball a lot. I can think of a few reasons why a QB or WR would want to play in the Big Ten....hell your kid apparently did.
I do not have a kid yet, yes Purdue throws the ball, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, the Chicago team is like Minnesota HS teams.

Good luck to Peter. The tough part of college football is that competition for a roster spot is intense. Some players may never have playing time. He has three plus years of good education and the experience a lot of kids who dreamed of becoming a Gopher player never had.

Watching all of the guys, the best recruiting tip for these guys is to get a good education, find a program that needs their skill set and the coaches hopefully are honest with their recruits. The portal is great for athletes, before they would be forced to stay in unhealthy situations for them. It holds the coaches more responsible. Like Covid, there are help wanted signs everywhere.

Watching all of the guys, the best recruiting tip for these guys is to get a good education, find a program that needs their skill set and the coaches hopefully are honest with their recruits. The portal is great for athletes, before they would be forced to stay in unhealthy situations for them. It holds the coaches more responsible. Like Covid, there are help wanted signs everywhere.
I don't really know if it does hold the coaches more accountable. Back in the day, if you recruited a kid and missed on him, you'd be stuck with that person eating up a scholarship for 4-5 years. I realize that there was some turnover/attrition/people pushed out, but no where like it is now. Because there is only a finite number of scholarships and there was considerably less movement, the coaches had to be more committed to players.

Now, I think coaches might be more willing to take a "flyer" on a player and pushing people out is less looked down upon. Yes, athletes have more power to go where they want and that does hold coaches more accountable. However, that means an athlete who may have been a "flyer" also has transfer schools, start new friend groups, find another situation, etc. A large number of people who transfer out of P5 schools downgrade

Top Bottom