U should model its program after Northwestern's

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per David Shama:

Guess What School Provides U Football Model?

The Gopher football program begins its 126th season on Saturday at Syracuse. The program that produced six national championships hasn’t won any since 1960 and during the last 40 years or so has struggled to be anything other than a Big Ten cupcake.

So who can the Gophers emulate to improve their results? Yes, the Hawkeyes and Badgers are easy guesses. Our neighboring states of Iowa and Wisconsin are similar to Minnesota in various ways including so-so high school football talent. In the last 20 years the programs at Iowa and Wisconsin have each won three Big Ten titles. But there’s probably even a better model to stir the hope of long patient Gopher fans. Northwestern, for decades a sorry excuse for a football program, is no longer the “Mildcats,” and may even provide any anti-sports folks at the U something to think about.

At Minnesota the leadership wants to emphasize academics, and also honesty in recruiting. Winning, they will tell you, is important, too. To all of that Northwestern says: check, check and check.

Since 1995 the Wildcats have won three Big Ten championships. Only Ohio State and Penn State have won more titles during that time. The Gophers' last championship was in 1967. Northwestern went to the Rose Bowl in 2006. Minnesota was there in 1962, the longest absence of any conference school. Since 1993 when Penn State joined the Big Ten and made the conference an 11 team league the Gophers have the 10th worst winning percentage in Big Ten games, with only Indiana doing worse, according to http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2008/10/alltime_big_ten_standings_and.html

Northwestern, the Big Ten’s only private school, overcame an embarrassing football reputation with smart coaching and recruiting. First Gary Barnett, then Randy Walker and now 34-year-old Pat Fitzgerald have shown that winning can be accomplished almost any place.

Educational mission? Apparently NU is still on track there. Northwestern was the top ranked school from a BCS conference in America, according to a 2008 Forbes listing of colleges. The criterion included impact of a school’s degree on a career, how much student debt is incurred, quality of the professors, and also national and international reputation of the institution. Northwestern ranked No. 11 among all schools in the listing and Minnesota was the lowest among Big Ten schools at 554.

Last season Northwestern finished 9-4 overall, 5-3 in the Big Ten (last time the Gophers did that was 2003, 10-3, 5-3) and went to the Alamo Bowl. What have the Wildcats done since? Well, at the top of Fitzgerald’s list of talking points at a Big Ten media gathering this summer was academics. Collectively, his players had a 3.0 grade point average for spring semester.

Fitzgerald, who played on the teams that started the Northwestern renaissance in the mid 1990s, has a 10 player leadership council to help make everyone accountable. That and a whole lot of other things seem to be working at Northwestern.

Northwestern won the first of its recent three conference titles in 1995, ending a title drought dating back to 1936. The nine wins last year happened for only the fifth time in school history. “I think we’re just scratching the surface,” Fitzgerald said.

As the Gophers begin a season that has them opening a magnificent new stadium with a third year leader in coach Tim Brewster, scratching the surface and looking to Northwestern for inspiration seems like good advice.

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

"Northwestern went to the Rose Bowl in 2006"

Did he mean 96?

Umm..fact check. Northwestern did not go to the Rose Bowl in 2006, last appearance was 1996. And we didn't go to the Alamo Bowl in 2003, we got snubbed and went to the Sun Bowl.

Umm..fact check. Northwestern did not go to the Rose Bowl in 2006, last appearance was 1996. And we didn't go to the Alamo Bowl in 2003, we got snubbed and went to the Sun Bowl.

He said that Northwestern went to the Alamo Bowl last year, not the Gophers.

Lol, and he was using Forbes' college rankings as if they actually hold water?

Obviously he was just pulling sources that furthered his agenda, poor journalism.

Obviously, a number of facts are wrong and I think he managed a few numbers (like why pick '93 to present to view BT records, just because of PSU? If you change that to '99 (past 10 years) we are ahead of Illinois and Indiana and nearly dead-even with Northwestern and Michigan State).

But I still think his point is a good one. The goal NEEDS TO BE a Big Ten Title. Nobody understands that better than Brewster. Illinois, Northwestern and Purdue did a good job during the past 15 years or so of sneeking into the title position either because their schedules were weak or because the "Big Boys" were having a bit of a down year. In other words, they were not necessarily great, they were very good and a little bit lucky. You can't always prepare for the luck side of things, so you just have to field a very good team on a frequent basis and wait for the luck to happen (or field a great team like Ohio State often does).

So yes, I think we should emulate the paths of those who aren't members of "The Big Three" that have won confenerce championships in the past 3 years.

Wow - what a revelation. Someone should write an article about that.

I have an idea. Let's have a new Minnesota model that everyone else in the conference can start following in the future. I'm tired of hearing about trying to do things the way other programs have.

We are a different school with, frankly, a lot of advantages over schools like Wisky, Iowa, NW, etc now that we have top-flight facilities on top of an awesome campus in a fantastic large metro area. It's a matter of having a great recruiter sell those things to great athletes and implement a system that allows them to thrive on and off the field.

We ARE the "sleeping giant" that is just starting to wake up and I don't think we should settle for emulating other schools.

EDIT: Can you tell I'm ready for some football? If I could, I'd get out there and do some hitting myself.

Lol, and he was using Forbes' college rankings as if they actually hold water?

Obviously he was just pulling sources that furthered his agenda, poor journalism.

Your are right... and here is another source/model for the "world's best colleges":

http://www.usnews.com/articles/educ.../2009/06/18/worlds-best-colleges-top-400.html

1 Harvard
2 Yale
3 Cambridge UK
4 Oxford UK

blah blah blah

18 Michigan
33 NW
55 Wisconsin
71 Illinois
87 Minnesota
99 Purdue

Six in the top 100, not bad for the Big Ten:)

105 PSU
121 OSU

168 Notre Dame
170 Indiana
203 MSU
219 Iowa

You know, based on what, when, according to who, etc., etc. Certainly, NW is a great school. However, according to this model, ND, OSU, PSU, and Iowa, should not be doing so well...depends how it is sliced and diced:confused:

a few omissions

Didn't Gary Barnett leave just ahead of some trouble regarding his tenure at Northwestern? I don't remember if there were recruiting or academic irregularities but I do remember some allegations of point shaving and gambling involving a running back.

According to GopherGod we should model everything we do after Nebraska.

Now now, I have been trying to reign it in a little bit of late to not compare the gophers to other programs as I understand it can agitate some others but then you go and do this. I do not think that Minnesota should try and model everything they do after Nebraska, for instance I didn't want Minnesota to make the same mistake by hiring Cosgrove, but that is done now so I wish him well. There is room for nearly every program to improve and Minnesota definitely falls into the category and could definitely benefit from trying to emulate some aspects of successful programs around the country because sadly trying to invent our own path has not worked the best the last 40 plus years. Minnesota could do a lot worse than to try and model some things after a program like Nebraska. Both schools are similar in that they are midwestern schools whose states do not produce a ton of D-1 talent, yet the on the field results have differed greatly between the two programs. I would think that Minnesota could definitely benefit by emulating a program with 47 years and counting of consecutive home sellouts, more academic all-americans than any other program, 5 national championships and 3 heisman trophy winners since Minnesota's last title, as well as a successful walk-on program that becomes even more important due to the reduced number of scholarship available these days. I know crazy to want to emulate some of those things.

Top Bottom