Two things

Doc1001

Reaction score
I cant for the life of me figure out why some people say the offensive line played well. Maybe because the few times Weber did have time he had lots of time. But most of the time Weber was fighting for his life ---and did you see all of the sacks? Time and again. Thats not good offensive line play.
Secondly--Ellestad on kickoffs--have you noticed that all year long they fade to the left corner---luckily most of them stayed in bounds or were touchbacks. But most were close. Not sure why they have faded like that all year. They barely make it in bounds. That needs to be ironed out and fast. No problem with his field goal kicking this year though---although he hasnt had many chances.

Why do people think our OL played well?
Whaley - 8 carries - 41 yards - 5.1 avg
Eskridge - 9 carries - 39 yards - 4.3 avg
Hoese - 5 carries - 17 yards - 3.4 avg
Bennett - 4 carries - 15 yards - 3.8 avg
All RB's - 25 carries - 112 yards - 4.5 avg

That is a pretty good job of run blocking. I'm pretty sure if we would have run 35-40 times in this game (like our game plan should have called for) we would have won the game.

The sacks that Weber took were consistently because he took too much time to throw the ball. I recorded the game and watched it on replay and Weber consistently took sacks when he had 4-5 seconds to throw the ball. If the OL holds the rush back for 3-4 seconds they have done their job and it is up to the WR's to get open and the QB to get rid of the ball.

IMO this loss was on Weber more than anyone else. It was the decisions he made (throwing late in to the flat without stepping in to the throw) as well as the decisions he didn't make (not throwing the ball away) that cost us the game.

Some instances that killed us:
-We faced 1st and 20 from our own 10 with 5:00 to go in the first half. We rolled Weber out of the pocket. He had time and started to get pressured while looking for a WR. Instead of throwing the ball away (he was out of the pocked) he tried scrambling and took a sack at the 1 or 2 yard line. It put is in a bad position (on our goal line) and we ended up punting and giving Illinois field position to score a TD.
-2nd and goal from the 1 foot line. We called a play-action pass and Illinois blitzed. Weber didn't have a lot of time but he should have seen immediately that there wasn't anything there and fired the ball out the back of the end zone. Instead he tried to break a tackle and got sacked at the 10. We ended up kicking a FG.

There are more but those are the two that hurt the most.

Why do people think our OL played well?
Whaley - 8 carries - 41 yards - 5.1 avg
Eskridge - 9 carries - 39 yards - 4.3 avg
Hoese - 5 carries - 17 yards - 3.4 avg
Bennett - 4 carries - 15 yards - 3.8 avg
All RB's - 25 carries - 112 yards - 4.5 avg

That is a pretty good job of run blocking. I'm pretty sure if we would have run 35-40 times in this game (like our game plan should have called for) we would have won the game.

The sacks that Weber took were consistently because he took too much time to throw the ball. I recorded the game and watched it on replay and Weber consistently took sacks when he had 4-5 seconds to throw the ball. If the OL holds the rush back for 3-4 seconds they have done their job and it is up to the WR's to get open and the QB to get rid of the ball.

IMO this loss was on Weber more than anyone else. It was the decisions he made (throwing late in to the flat without stepping in to the throw) as well as the decisions he didn't make (not throwing the ball away) that cost us the game.

Some instances that killed us:
-We faced 1st and 20 from our own 10 with 5:00 to go in the first half. We rolled Weber out of the pocket. He had time and started to get pressured while looking for a WR. Instead of throwing the ball away (he was out of the pocked) he tried scrambling and took a sack at the 1 or 2 yard line. It put is in a bad position (on our goal line) and we ended up punting and giving Illinois field position to score a TD.
-2nd and goal from the 1 foot line. We called a play-action pass and Illinois blitzed. Weber didn't have a lot of time but he should have seen immediately that there wasn't anything there and fired the ball out the back of the end zone. Instead he tried to break a tackle and got sacked at the 10. We ended up kicking a FG.

There are more but those are the two that hurt the most.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't this type of qb problem coaching correctable and if so, why hasn't something been done about it at the coaching level so deep into the season?

To the credit of our qb gurus, GHers have been venting about this type of qb performance all season...maybe they need a direct line to Brew/JF.

What makes you think something hasn't? Weber is completely aware that he should have thrown it away.

Because it keeps happening game after game as is documented here weekly by frustrated GHers.

Somehow there seems to be a complete disconnect between knowing something should be done...throwing it away...and actually doing it. Maybe that isn't coaching correctable.

Not a QB expert here but I did play the position in high school. Every QB knows to try and get rid of the ball to avoid a sack but it's one thing to know that and it's another to be able to do so when you have defensive players lining you up... Cut the kid some slack. Weber is a very solid quarterback but he hasn't been put into a position to succeed during his first 3 years. He was asked to navigate a spread offense in years 1 and 2 without the right set of complimentary players. In year 3 he's asked to change his throwing style, learn a new offense, and put up with two coaches who seem to have little idea of what they want to accomplish from week to week. For those of you who put this loss on Weber and think he had all the time in the world, go back to your DVR and look to see what kind of routes the WRs were running on the plays he was sacked. I would hazard a guess that on at least 3 or 4 of the them, the WRs were running deep routes that took too much time to develop. There were at least 4 straight fly patterns in the 1st quarter alone. Those take a lot of time to open up. The line has to execute for at least 5 seconds for those to work. The rest of the sacks were a combo of good coverage on some and bad decisions by Weber (but like that doesn't happen to all QBs). It's pretty easy for all of us in the peanut gallery to see the one wide open receiver or act befuddled when the QB doesn't do something that seems so obvious. No, this one wasn't on Weber. It was on the game plan and the play calling in the 1st half. No real attempt to run the ball. Too many home run attempts without setting them up. It was a JV coaching effort from the top down.

Not a QB expert here but I did play the position in high school. Every QB knows to try and get rid of the ball to avoid a sack but it's one thing to know that and it's another to be able to do so when you have defensive players lining you up... Cut the kid some slack. Weber is a very solid quarterback but he hasn't been put into a position to succeed during his first 3 years. He was asked to navigate a spread offense in years 1 and 2 without the right set of complimentary players. In year 3 he's asked to change his throwing style, learn a new offense, and put up with two coaches who seem to have little idea of what they want to accomplish from week to week. For those of you who put this loss on Weber and think he had all the time in the world, go back to your DVR and look to see what kind of routes the WRs were running on the plays he was sacked. I would hazard a guess that on at least 3 or 4 of the them, the WRs were running deep routes that took too much time to develop. There were at least 4 straight fly patterns in the 1st quarter alone. Those take a lot of time to open up. The line has to execute for at least 5 seconds for those to work. The rest of the sacks were a combo of good coverage on some and bad decisions by Weber (but like that doesn't happen to all QBs). It's pretty easy for all of us in the peanut gallery to see the one wide open receiver or act befuddled when the QB doesn't do something that seems so obvious. No, this one wasn't on Weber. It was on the game plan and the play calling in the 1st half. No real attempt to run the ball. Too many home run attempts without setting them up. It was a JV coaching effort from the top down.

Interesting perspective from a former qb...maybe some of our other qb gurus can help us out as well...I can't, played qb in hs so fleetingly its all an ancient blur!

Top Bottom