two key plays results in loss

Reaction score
1. Interception returned for a TD...NOT a smart throw but happens to the best of them

2. Play action on the 1 yard line....REAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLY

ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

Those two plays were the two biggest contributers to the loss, followed by the two kickoffs out of bounds.

what was the reason for those kickoffs?? just that bad or trying to do pin them in the corners??

One was on the ON-side Kick

I have neither kicked nor attempted to teach kicking. But it did not seem as though the kicker was striking the ball well.

There was also a punt that went out of Bounds with very little distance added.

what was the reason for those kickoffs?? just that bad or trying to do pin them in the corners??

It was tough to tell from where I was sitting but was the second kick (that lame duck job that went about 20 yards before bouncing out) an attempt at a surprise on sides?

I used to kick in high school... he just made bad contact with the ball. He intended to kick the ball down field, but just miss hit the ball both times. Very pathetic for a D-1 fb player.

1. Weber pick 6

2. Benn offensive pass interference on TD catch that was called defensive pass interference. Benn rode Sherels into the endzone and then pushed off him to catch the ball.

2 Out of bounds ko + onside

I believe we actually had 2 out of bounds kick offs + the onside. Also that punt was bad. Our kicking game really hurt us today.

I agree that those were the two huge plays of the game, but I will add two more.

1. Weber missing McKnight for a would be TD on the opening drive. If we answer the initial score by Illinois, I think the game progresses differently.

2. The "touchdown" to end the first half. I don't believe that was a td, and holding them to a fg there would have ended up being huge.

Worse than the interception was the eight sacks. Something was just not right. The O line gave him terrific time and he couldn't find anyone to throw the ball to. This means that the Illini D Backs are all going to be first round picks or Weber cannot go through his progressions, or the young receivers cannot get open even with time. I don't think the first or third possibility is the one. Then to compound the problem, the clock that's supposed to be in a QB's brain seemed to be dis- functioning and he took at least 6 sacks that should have been thrown away.

Even worse, a lot of the passes he actually threw were tentative and poorly thrown. No zip, often over the wrong shoulder, long or out of bounds.

This is correct

There were two longer kicks OOBs, and the Onside kick also out of bounds.

I believe we actually had 2 out of bounds kick offs + the onside. Also that punt was bad. Our kicking game really hurt us today.

all phases of the game were extremely poor yesterday

unfortunately we are not a good enough team to overcome any significant mistakes in one phase much less all three

still no run game

I remain perplexed why weber refuses to throw the ball away instead of taking the sacks-is there some field iq missing here?

Our defense in general and the secondary specifically was beyond poor yesterday-all season really

team fought hard but the same old same old is still there-the team seems to be unable to find an identity and rythym

good athletes do not a good team make-we've got real issues people

We still had a chance at the end, but the missed tackle on the last Illini drive was the nail in the coffin. The missed call where the quarterback was over the line of scrimmage didn't help.

We all see our teams from one side. Ours. Illinois tried to give you the game yesterday. imo Illinois had a big lead and was ready to run away, then allowed Weber to complete a third and 24 that led to a touchdown. Stop Minnesota there, and it is a blowout. imo

Juice started great, then was gone after the first quarter. Minnesota got a break there.

Jeff Cumberland dropped three perfect Charest passes that would have put Illinois deep into Minnesota territory.

And allowing a punt block when all he has to do is get it off and the game is over was inexcusable. He took forever to get it off and it cost Illinois.

There were other things, too, but I am just pointing out that the excuses can come from both sides and we only notice our own flaws.

If Illinois had lost, it would have been a shame. Illinois outgained Minnesota in yards, had the turnover advantage, and overcame an injury to its starting quarterback. Also, I watched the replay, and in slow motion Charest releases the ball before he steps over the line. You were watching with your heart. imo

all phases of the game were extremely poor yesterday

unfortunately we are not a good enough team to overcome any significant mistakes in one phase much less all three

I guess the bright side is that they actually almost DID overcome all those significant maistakes in all three phases of the game. It's tough to win those games where it seems most things are going wrong or not bouncing the teams way. At least the team showed toughness being down 28-7 and making a game of it.

Just too damn cute on the goal line.

2nd and goal, against the Big 10's worst rush defense and ..............
But maybe go back to the week of practice and get inside Coach Fisch's head. Again the worst rush defense and we plan, and come out going deep. If anyone knows if the Pound The Rock sign is still up, let me know. I have a chain saw, heat gun, heck I'll bring a flame thrower. Its not rock science, its blocking, tackling, beating the man in front of you, and on the goal line you run directly at them. We didn't, couldn't, wouldn't that's your ballgame folks.

1. Interception returned for a TD...NOT a smart throw but happens to the best of them

2. Play action on the 1 yard line....REAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLY

Apparently we did not learn from the same call from the 1 yd line during the game with Becky (remember chop block). Hoese had a super drive with a couple of catches and runs. Why not give it to him twice if needed. That pass call really ticked me off. Get rid of the ball already.

On the onside kick, maybe it would have been wiser to kick deep after seeing the IL return man was on the 25. Why not kick it through the end zone and hope (pray) for a D stop?

I am so frustrated right now, even 24 hours later.

Top Bottom