Tubby's Efficiency Chart ?

rrjackIII

Reaction score
Last night on Tubby's post-game interview I heard him talking about the 'efficiency chart' they keep for the team.

IIRC

He started out talking about RSIII

Ralph is number 4
Colton is number 2
Damian number 3
Al Nolen number 1
Westbrook number 5

I know Tubby is a big numbers guy and keeps track of tipped balls etc. but does anyone know how they calculate the team efficiency chart?

I'm not sure but I imagine it would be something along the lines our High School team used in Monticello when I went to school there. I was team manager/stats guy and I kept track of various things for each player like:
points, steals, rebounds, forced turnovers, assists, blocks, etc... Each one of those stats had a point ranking and at the end of each night a player would have a "point total" Then throughout the season each player was kind of ranked based on their point total, showing that even though you might not be the leading scorer on the team, you could still be at the top in overall points because of a combination of your other stats. It's possibly something along the lines of Tubby might use. Who knows?

Those 5 were the starting lineup last night, I believe. Hmmm. A way to earn a starting position?

Those 5 were the starting lineup last night, I believe. Hmmm. A way to earn a starting position?

Up to a point, myabe, but I'd bet that if none of the point guards were ranked in the top five, or none of the big men, Tubby would still start a point guard and a big guy.

Here are Pomroy's O ratings.

Player Info - GP - %Minutes - Offensive Efficiency

0 Al Nolen 6-1 180 So 11 76.4 114.1
24 Blake Hoffarber 6-4 200 So 10 56.6 111.8
20 Lawrence Westbrook 6-0 195 Jr 10 51.8 104.4
34 Damian Johnson 6-7 195 Jr 8 48.4 114.4
45 Colton Iverson 6-10 235 Fr 11 48.0 119.5
33 Jamal Abu-Shamala 6-5 210 Sr 11 43.4 108.6
50 Ralph Sampson 6-11 220 Fr 11 42.7 111.1
4 Travis Busch 6-4 220 Jr 11 37.0 112.7
5 Devoe Joseph 6-3 170 Fr 11 35.7 83.3
22 Devron Bostick 6-5 210 Jr 11 24.8 96.2
1 Paul Carter 6-8 185 So 6 21.6 80.3

Top Five would be:

Iverson
Johnson
Nolen
Busch
Hoffarber

But similar. If I understand correctly it is calculated as points/100possessions when extracted by the actual minutes each player is in the game. In other words the team is most efficient when Iverson is in the game.

As you noted, those are offensive efficiency statistics that, AFAIK, relate to team scoring while you're in the game. I think Tubby places just as much emphasis in his efficiency calcs on defense and making the individual little plays that add up to making a big difference.

I'm not sure but I imagine it would be something along the lines our High School team used in Monticello when I went to school there. I was team manager/stats guy and I kept track of various things for each player like:
points, steals, rebounds, forced turnovers, assists, blocks, etc... Each one of those stats had a point ranking and at the end of each night a player would have a "point total" Then throughout the season each player was kind of ranked based on their point total, showing that even though you might not be the leading scorer on the team, you could still be at the top in overall points because of a combination of your other stats. It's possibly something along the lines of Tubby might use. Who knows?

Exact same thing we had in Chisholm. Mr. McDonald was all about efficiencies when it came to the A team. The one quirk he had is that he didn't want us to count blocks unless we got the ball because in his terms, a block was almost useless unless we got the ball. I thought it was kinda dumb and counted blocks the right way regardless. I remember a good night would have a guy anywhere from +10 to +20. Turnovers and fouls counted negatively, and I want to say you were penalized for certain mistakes. It's been 10 years since I did it so I might be wrong.

I think McDonald should hit 1000 wins this year. He was at 988 when the season began.

Top Bottom