Tubby watches Austin Hollins score 22pts

This was a perfect game for Tubby to be at. Because in addition to seeing Hollins' suburban team, he was in the house for a White Station game. White Station has long been one of the top two or three programs year in and year out in Memphis public schools.

Three quality players who had their White Station numbers retired are Earnest Shelton (Alabama), Dane Bradshaw (Tennessee) and Robert O'Kelley (Wake).

I don't know tons about this Hollins kid, but I like the fact that he probably has a far better idea of how to actually play basketball rather than just being an athletic freak who is only good in the open floor. Big Ten basketball, as much as some coaches try to change this, is a half-court game and there are going to a good number of games each season in which the winning team scores between 55 and 65 points. Those kind of games require a different kind of player and one who understands how to be effective in the halfcourt.

This was a perfect game for Tubby to be at. Because in addition to seeing Hollins' suburban team, he was in the house for a White Station game. White Station has long been one of the top two or three programs year in and year out in Memphis public schools.

Three quality players who had their White Station numbers retired are Earnest Shelton (Alabama), Dane Bradshaw (Tennessee) and Robert O'Kelley (Wake).

I don't know tons about this Hollins kid, but I like the fact that he probably has a far better idea of how to actually play basketball rather than just being an athletic freak who is only good in the open floor. Big Ten basketball, as much as some coaches try to change this, is a half-court game and there are going to a good number of games each season in which the winning team scores between 55 and 65 points. Those kind of games require a different kind of player and one who understands how to be effective in the halfcourt.

Your thoughts on Rodney Williams?

My thoughts on Rodney Williams is that I have concerns on how successful he'll be in league play.

Considering who the Gophers have played, we really have no idea how good any of these guys are.

My thoughts on Rodney Williams is that I have concerns on how successful he'll be in league play.

Considering who the Gophers have played, we really have no idea how good any of these guys are.

Agree, but hoping for the best obviously.

Williams has the skills to do well regardless of the opponent. He'll be a star before he leaves The U.

FOT,

I think he has a chance to be a very good players for the Gophers. I do think that it is difficult for very many freshmen to have immediate success in the Big Ten because of the strength required. That's even more true for non-guards.

He has skill and tremendous athleticism, but some of that is rendered obsolete by the amount of hand-to-hand combat that goes on in the Big Ten. He's going to get stronger, but until that happens, I think he'll struggle.

Top Bottom