Troy Calhoun from Air Force should be next coach

Reaction score
Here are the reasons Calhoun would be a great fit. 1. Academics. He currently has the 2nd ranked APR nationally. Obviously academics must be important to him and are for the gophers. 2. Discipline. He will not stand for off the field issues and players not buying in. 3 If he can win at Air Force which is now ranked #25 he can win at Minnesota. 4. When he came to Minn last year he came into a tough environment and gave the gophers a very tough game. He shows amazing poise on the sidelines which is something the Gophers sidelines lacks at very important times.

Points 1 and 2 are a given at USAFA. He might be a good coach, but I don't know if Service Academy coaches readily transfer to BCS conferences. I'm not saying he can't, but it a very different environment, player, schedule, etc. Plus, he would need to ditch that option offense.

And the academics have nothing to do with the fact that it's...ummm...a military academy? Those guys go to school there to be part of the US Air Force. Playing football is a secondary thing.

I agree with much of your post (though not convinced Calhoun is the right choice), but the academics thing is reflective of more than the head coach.

Supposedly he's not looking---
He was reportedly offered the Tennessee job last January and considered it--- eventually turning it down.

You'll get no arguments here. I think he's among the dream candidates often discussed on this board. The question is, can we lure him away from his alma mater?

I think we offer the right price the majority of coaches unless they are already at a destination school then they will come to Minn. Majority of coaches will take on any challenge especially when large amounts of money are pulling them.

I didn't know that, interesting.

I only said that because he was the Texans OC and obviously didn't run the option there. I suppose if he came here he could run the option, but it seems to be more a product of the service academies (see Navy). Either way, he has the capability to run a pro-style offense.

Remember

He couldnt even beat the gophers.

He's not leaving the AFA. Isn't he a grad?

He's not leaving the AFA. Isn't he a grad?

Yes. And Rich Rodriguez was a WVU grad. While Minnesota doesn't have the allure of Michigan, we can probably significantly increase Calhoun's current salary if the reported numbers are true.

Here are the reasons Calhoun would be a great fit. 1. Academics. He currently has the 2nd ranked APR nationally. Obviously academics must be important to him and are for the gophers. 2. Discipline. He will not stand for off the field issues and players not buying in. 3 If he can win at Air Force which is now ranked #25 he can win at Minnesota. 4. When he came to Minn last year he came into a tough environment and gave the gophers a very tough game. He shows amazing poise on the sidelines which is something the Gophers sidelines lacks at very important times.

Your entire post makes little sense, and #3 in particular makes no sense whatsoever. You obviously have some kind of agenda.

I didn't know that, interesting.

http://www.goairforcefalcons.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/afa-m-footbl-mtt.html

Look at the weights of the Air Force offensive linemen. That's why they run the option there, Air Force Academy fitness requirements prevent them from having a line made up of 300 pound guys which means they would have trouble running a pro style offense. Prior to arriving at Air Force Calhoun coached pro style multiple set offenses and he's adapted some elements of them into the Air Force option attack.

I have no idea what kind of offense Calhoun would run, but he inherited the triple option at Air Force.

As far as the OP's main points, those really aren't Brew's weaknesses. We've been a pretty solid to average Big 10 program in academics and off the field issues.

I think we offer the right price the majority of coaches unless they are already at a destination school then they will come to Minn. Majority of coaches will take on any challenge especially when large amounts of money are pulling them.

Maybe. We have been a well-known coach's graveyard for a long time.

He wouldn't have to ditch the triple option, it got Georgia Tech to an ACC championship last year.

Top Bottom