Trophy trifacta question

hungan1

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the Gophers ever had The Axe, The Pig, and The Jug in their possession in the same season?

Secondly, it is possible to accomplish this feat with Kill and company at the helm?

I'd like to see this happen in my lifetime.

GO GOPHERS! :cheer:

I believe the last time we had all three was 1960, or sometime during the 60's. And 1990 was the last time we had the pig and the ax.

I am 100% confident it won't happen this year.
I am 100% confident it's possible in the future.

Seriously though - that would be quite a season, but sure it's possible.

Anything is possible! It's not like Becky isn't beatable. We could do it this year, OR NEXT YEAR!

I believe the last time we had all three was 1960, or sometime during the 60's. And 1990 was the last time we had the pig and the ax.

That's right, the only BIG loss in '60 was to Purdue (as a bonus, they beat Nebraska that year, too....14-7 I believe).

http://brickhouse.lib.umn.edu/items/show/73

The Pig, the Axe, and the Jug are all in the picture.

Also from that site: Some truly great photos from the site:
http://brickhouse.lib.umn.edu/

una23195_8ac9d73aed.jpg

una23369_5ad691c413.jpg

I am 100% confident it won't happen this year.
I am 100% confident it's possible in the future.

Seriously though - that would be quite a season, but sure it's possible.

Thanks - It is nice to see a correct answer here once in a while. You have restored my faith in the gopherHole!

Wasnt Sandy Stephens the QB in 1960? Cannot find him in that pic, unless he has a different number?

Yes, Sandy Stephens is in the picture.

Wasnt Sandy Stephens the QB in 1960? Cannot find him in that pic, unless he has a different number?

Yep, he's in there. Number 15, last row, far right.

#20: Doc, my knee hurts. It hurts bad.

Doc: Well, rub some of this tonic on it and you'll be fine.

una42972_0f1ce5fb9f.jpg

The last time we had all three trophies at the same time was from 10/14/1978 through 10/28/1978. We lost to Iowa early in the 1977 season but beat Wisconsin and Michigan later that year. We beat Iowa on 10/14/1978, so we had all three trophies for two weeks until we lost to Michigan on 10/28/1978.

1977 results
1978 results

The last time we won all three trophies in the same season was 1967.

1967 results

NEXT YEAR at Camp Randall? Not happening! Maybe 2015???

Well, we will certainly be good enough next year to make it competitive. We may need you guys to have a bit of a "down" year too (think 2008, that was a great game that I was at....although when we kneeled before half I was pretty sure we were going to lose)

On Nov 8, 2014 we'll have all four trophies at the same time. ;)

The last time we had all three trophies at the same time was from 10/14/1978 through 10/28/1978. We lost to Iowa early in the 1977 season but beat Wisconsin and Michigan later that year. We beat Iowa on 10/14/1978, so we had all three trophies for two weeks until we lost to Michigan on 10/28/1978.

1977 results
1978 results

The last time we won all three trophies in the same season was 1967.

1967 results

How about a little love for the only trophy we currently have?? Obviously we have never had all four trophies since the Bell wasn't around in 1978. We have also never had the Bell at the same time as the Jug (missed each other by a week in '05). We have had the Bell and Floyd, we have had the Bell and the Axe, but we have not had the Bell, Floyd and the Axe at the same time. I even checked for season to season overlap (like '78) and unless I missed one, I don't think it happened.

Side note - Aflac trivia question from a game a couple weeks ago - the B1G has the most intra-conference trophy games with 13. Name the next highest conference (might have been AQ conference, can't remeber).

Answer: PAC-12 with.... 4!

Yes, the Gophers play for as many trophies as the entire PAC-12 combined! And more than the SEC, ACC, or Big12.

Top Bottom