Treyton Thompson

The hell are you smoking? Have you ever seen either of these people? Thompson shows more skill in this video than EE did in his career as a gopher. Maybe I missed the jab step 3s from Eliason?

I'm thinking a good comp, just based on his size and athletism, might be Kevin Loge former Gopher from Morris. IIRC he got homesick and ended up leaving after a year or two

It may have turned out he would have stayed 5. to his credit and the staff his improvement in all areas, specifically strength, ball handling. He would have played maybe 2 minutes as a true frosh but this way he was able to focus nearly all his practice time on strength and skills. It paid of huge for all involved with a ACC title, a National Title and being the 4th pick in the draft. Not for cover, UVA was planning on two more redshirts and will continue to do so. So will Villanova and UW. I think it is a fantastic tool for those coaches and players who actually talk it over with a honest assessment and a deep trust of a much larger picture. Takes a certain kind of kid and a certain kind of coaching staff including the strength coach as well as a awesome start on academics. Often it is used on the best prospect in Bennett class. This has been talked about and planned carefully and that will continue.

True about the value of redshirts, but the original point remains: It will become a much less used tool in college basketball going forward. I have no idea what the trend line has been over the last five years or so, but it is difficult to not see the trajectory on a steep decline in the immediate future. Perhaps to the detriment of college basketball, programs, and players, but it will be used less and less for reasons already on the thread.

Not to change this thread into a redshirting debate, but Deandre Hunter only played two seasons at Virginia. That didn't pay off for Virginia at all - unless you think for some strange reason that Hunter would have been harmed playing his freshman year, then Virginia only got two years out of a great player instead of three.

Redshirting pays off only if the player stays five years AND he has enough talent that the team wouldn't want to trade him in for his scholarship. For example, it would have been awful to redshirt Hurt or Konate or Diedhiou (the list could go on and on) and use up a fifth year of scholarship.

The list of successful redshirts is small and growing smaller, and ignores the many, many, many, many instances where players redshirted and then transferred or went pro early or simply weren't good enough to justify the extra year. Modern college basketball, and the relentless inter-team movement of players, suggests that redshirting is just a very poor bet.

Remember when we had people arguing that it would be a great idea to redshirt David Mutaf?
A national championship wasn't worth it?

The hell are you smoking? Have you ever seen either of these people? Thompson shows more skill in this video than EE did in his career as a gopher. Maybe I missed the jab step 3s from Eliason?

I definitely was high. He looks like a skinny Laettner. His stroke looks better than EE's and he is probably much quicker. Obviously needs to gain size and muscle.

I can help but compare Treyton with Elliot Eliason in my head. Big white guys with no grace. Hopefully he develops into a post threat.

Terrible comparison, they're totally different players.

Not saying Treyton will be awesome (although I have hope), but he has an entirely different skill set.

True about the value of redshirts, but the original point remains: It will become a much less used tool in college basketball going forward. I have no idea what the trend line has been over the last five years or so, but it is difficult to not see the trajectory on a steep decline in the immediate future. Perhaps to the detriment of college basketball, programs, and players, but it will be used less and less for reasons already on the thread.
There is no doubt that it will be used less but that will benefit those programs that built it into how they do things because they will continue to due so. Identifying it during recruiting, laying out a more intense strength and skill development is huge. What the guys got done on a weak skill (for programs that highlight skill) or strength , what they got academically is far greater under the plan then a straight go. This is not some made up exercise they talk about. This is a deep trust that they coach has a great trust with the players and parents. the Shedricks loved the plan last year, the Rahim's loved it pre cover even as a highly sought recruit and the DAD being a NBA guy still. Pre Covid changed that but he can not get minutes to be a expert at the Pack Line, to add strength. It is not about leaving early, it is about maximizing the players and the programs success. No one can possibly know that Hunter would get that good that quickly and that strong. He is still scratching the surface of what he can be. He lost a year in high school and badly needed the work. He played 19 minutes per game in his 2nd year on campus and these guys know what it takes. Covid also took it off McCorkle but he was going that way and they are targeting the next recruits as well. Two kids are factoring into their recruiting with the appeal of being there 5 years and with summers, getting masters degrees. These are kids whose parents always stressed academics. So be it if it gets used less in college basketball. The programs using it love the result. Fans can choose to think Hunter would have got that far playing three years but someone who knows a great deal more about all the facts is helping with the decisions and baked it into the culture. That strength and individual skill work is way more intensive during that year than regular practice and games. Pack Line alone takes so much time and if your A 2,3,4 and playing Swiss army as a versatile defender guarding 3 or 4 body types you best be strong, especially if you lost a year of high school. On the other side, imagine how sloppy some of these guys cut of screens to shoot or pass or drive , all three refined skills that need intensive drill work with people that are great teaching it. Players improving, teams being great, not blue blood talent are built by design with specific details. The development of these players is off the charts. Ones usually have great handles and heady games so they are less likely. Also players are not forced to due this. Murphy choose UVA for Bennett and academics and wanted to redshirt but again Covid sent him to a waiver that he eventually would not need and now is soaring into the 1st round because those NBA watches development more than before. They love young guys obviously but are not going to miss on the next Brogdon type and Hunter would have never gone 4th after 3 regular years because when they saw him devour players at three positions they knew had had transformed himself.

How about a prep school Liam Robbins comparison?

Awesome. Truck drivers are vital to everyone. Not everyone can do it.

I don’t think many people realize the importance of truck drivers and the pending driver shortage. We’re going to see an insane increase in cost of goods as this continues.

I don’t think many people realize the importance of truck drivers and the pending driver shortage. We’re going to see an insane increase in cost of goods as this continues.
$4000 a week without the hassle of owning equipment.

Self driving trucks will eliminate any pending driver shortage. Possibly the opposite effect...unemployed truck drivers looking for new jobs.

Self driving trucks will eliminate any pending driver shortage. Possibly the opposite effect...unemployed truck drivers looking for new jobs.

Long ways away from self driving trucks. Will happen eventually but likely years.

Back on topic—the highlight video I shared of Treyton is just that—a highlight video. But he shows skills and we haven’t seen from a lot of bigs here

We don’t even have real hoverboards yet so I have zero faith in this.

I'm thinking a good comp, just based on his size and athletism, might be Kevin Loge former Gopher from Morris. IIRC he got homesick and ended up leaving after a year or two

Ah Loge. I was friends with a bunch of guys from Morris in my freshman dorm (Territorial). My best buddy was on that Morris state runner-up team with him.

Kevin didn't like the city action much. I think he transferred to St. Cloud State, but I believe he didn't even end up sticking there. Pretty sure he ended up working on the family farm. Can't recall which, but pretty sure either he or his younger brother ended up shooting a finger off in a hunting accident

Top Bottom