Trevor Delayed Again

Blizzard

Reaction score
Delayed again till March-

98 02/08/2010 REPORT RE: TRIAL DATE SET FOR 03/08/2010 AT 09:00
97 02/08/2010 REPORT RE: STATUS SET FOR 03/08/2010 AT 09:00

On the bright side that will ensure a redshirt year for him and hopefully he'll be here for two years. How frustrating for him though.

Speaking of which doesn't Royce White have an appearance today for his trespassing charges?

IIRC, last time the trial date was extended was because Trevor's attorney had a conflict with a federal case he was trying. Does anyone know if this latest continuance was at the request of the defense or a mutual request from both the defense and prosecution? I doubt it was only at the request of the prosecution unless the defense consented to the postponement (given the defendant's "right to speedy trial.")

While Trevor is out of custody (and in-custody defendants tend to get quicker trial dates if requested) his attorney could press for a faster trial date if he felt that was in Trevor's best interests. Longer time between an alleged offense and the trial testimony by eyewitnesses of the alleged offense is generally thought to be more helpful to the defense than the prosecution

One factor not usually considered by the court is the angst of the defendant's fans over a delay in athletic competition (or having to take a red-shirt)

While he obviously won't play this year, I still hope they actually have the trial in March. It also effects recruiting. To proceed as though you'll have him and then find out in May/June that you won't makes it almost impossible to replace him.

IIRC, last time the trial date was extended was because Trevor's attorney had a conflict with a federal case he was trying. Does anyone know if this latest continuance was at the request of the defense or a mutual request from both the defense and prosecution? I doubt it was only at the request of the prosecution unless the defense consented to the postponement (given the defendant's "right to speedy trial.")

While Trevor is out of custody (and in-custody defendants tend to get quicker trial dates if requested) his attorney could press for a faster trial date if he felt that was in Trevor's best interests. Longer time between an alleged offense and the trial testimony by eyewitnesses of the alleged offense is generally thought to be more helpful to the defense than the prosecution

One factor not usually considered by the court is the angst of the defendant's fans over a delay in athletic competition (or having to take a red-shirt)

Trevor's attorney had another case and wasn't in court to touch base that day, but it wasn't the reason for the trial being pushed back. The last trial date (and this one) was extended largely due to the defense wanting to get a bunch of his former teammates on the witness stand. An argument is that the witnesses are currently busy (i.e., in school) and he can't get them to Miami right now due to their other commitments and thus there is a reason to continue to the trial for a later date.

Samms said long, long ago that he wouldn't let it go to trial until at least the spring. If Trevor wanted the trial to occur, he could have had it happen long ago (within 180 days of the charges). Also, the longer it drags out, the more time there is for the prosecution's case to fall apart (i.e., unwilling witnesses).

Top Bottom