Transfer Portal

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Saw a report that Kansas State coach Kleiman expects to hold 10 of 25 spots each year for transfers. That can’t be good news for HS kids. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds and trickles down.

For Kansas State though ...

I think that signals "we can't recruit gud" more than anything else.

Some coaches take more JUCO and etc, but those are often seen as band-aids and not good long term solutions...

Still could be viable for Kansas State, or signals that they're just bad at something.

The whole transfer thing is a mystery how it plays out. Teams will still need to ingest fresh talent somewhere. The amount of edibility hasn't changed

That's what seems to be happening in basketball.

It means that there will be more open roster spots at lower levels, and kids will mainly be looking to move up (or move laterally in P5).

If you plan to do it, do it. Why advertise?

As Kliemann has already figured out .... places like Manhatten, Kansas (and Lincoln, Nebraska, for that matter) will just never be "sexy" locations, and they're relatively far away from Texas.

So getting Texas 4* and 5* kids to commit there, out of high school, is a tough sell.

But catching those same 4* and 5* kids a year or two after going to the helmet school and it not working out, that could be a different story.

Well ... yeah.

It's still a P5 team. Do you wanna play, or do you wanna sit on the bench?

Well ... yeah.

It's still a P5 team. Do you wanna play, or do you wanna sit on the bench?

My initial, knee-jerk reaction: this will be good for teams like Minnesota. If we can get more Benjamin St-Justes (Michigan), more Michah Dew-Treadways (Notre Dame), more Niles Pinckneys (Clemson), it can only help our program.

My initial, knee-jerk reaction: this will be good for teams like Minnesota. If we can get more Benjamin St-Justes (Michigan), more Michah Dew-Treadways (Notre Dame), more Niles Pinckneys (Clemson), it can only help our program.

It's possible but stuff like 'hey playing time here' ... it just doesn't seem to have the appeal in terms of bringing in the volume of players enough to make a difference...

And it certainly doesn't discourage your own overachievers from going to another team...

Can MN offer enough 'hey playing time' to offset the bama / tosu recruiting juggernauts?

I like to think so, but we've seen changes here and there and nothing is slowing down the blue bloods...

Keep in mind Benjamin was effectively pushed out, Michigan wouldn't medically clear him... that's kinda a rare case, not really a pure transfer example.

Players already could transfer, but they didn't care enough to sit out a year while on scholarship...

Last edited:

So, as I understand it, under the new rule, players get 1 "free" transfer without having to sit out a year.

My guess is that in the first year under the new rule, we will see the highest number of transfers. It's like a Black Friday sale at Best Buy - everybody wants to get in on the deals. Any player who isn't happy with their current situation and has been thinking about a transfer will want to take advantage.

but, as the 'new' wears off and it becomes just another rule, I suspect the number of transfers will settle down and become more manageable. it's not like every player is going to transfer every year.
A lot of guys will be happy where they're at. and other players - once they've used their "free" transfer, will be reluctant to transfer again and have to sit out a year.

So yes, there will be some turnover, but I think it will stabilize at a manageable level.

For Kansas State though ...

I think that signals "we can't recruit gud" more than anything else.

Some coaches take more JUCO and etc, but those are often seen as band-aids and not good long term solutions...

Still could be viable for Kansas State, or signals that they're just bad at something.

The whole transfer thing is a mystery how it plays out. Teams will still need to ingest fresh talent somewhere. The amount of edibility hasn't changed
K State under Synder was always very JUCO heavy because the "we can't recruit gud" that Slab mentioned and the robust JUCO system in Kansas. I think this is just a modern extension of that.

K State under Synder was always very JUCO heavy because the "we can't recruit gud" that Slab mentioned and the robust JUCO system in Kansas. I think this is just a modern extension of that.
Like I said: target those 4*/5* kids who think they want to go to a "sexy" program right out of high school, but then get there and realize it wasn't all that they thought it would be.

That's one side of the portal.

The other side is, you look at guys at lower levels who've proven to be great play makers and want to bring themselves up a level in competition.

We got both in this class here: the WR from Texas A&M, and the LB from Stephen F Austin.

The expansion of the transfer portal and especially the immediate eligibility aspect will certainly add a new wrinkle to recruiting. K-State is clearly embracing the idea of bringing in transfers where some other schools might be more resistant to it.

Fleck has had some good success to this point with the transfers he has brought in. I would expect him to be one who will embrace the shifting landscape and try and find a way to make it work to our advantage. Would not shock me to see us bringing in a handful of transfers with each class. Especially when you can find those guys who have a decent amount of eligibility left. Might not be 7 every year but somewhere in the area of 3-5 feels pretty likely.

We got both in this class here: the WR from Texas A&M, and the LB from Stephen F Austin.
Abilene Christian.

Anyway, I guess I'm not sure why this would a significant impact on HS recruiting other than the timeline (maybe?). Every scholarship player who transfers opens up a new roster spot on the team they are departing. I see three possible ways it could have an impact: 1) players at P5 schools will transfer down and take up non-P5 and FCS scholarships, when they otherwise would have retired, 2) coaches will want to wait for the transfer market, so will take high school commitments later than they otherwise would, or 3) the new qualifier rule will prevent schools from filling their roster as turnover increases. It's hard for me to see 3) being a big problem and there not being a rule change.

Abilene Christian.

Anyway, I guess I'm not sure why this would a significant impact on HS recruiting other than the timeline (maybe?). Every scholarship player who transfers opens up a new roster spot on the team they are departing. I see three possible ways it could have an impact: 1) players at P5 schools will transfer down and take up non-P5 and FCS scholarships, when they otherwise would have retired, 2) coaches will want to wait for the transfer market, so will take high school commitments later than they otherwise would, or 3) the new qualifier rule will prevent schools from filling their roster as turnover increases. It's hard for me to see 3) being a big problem and there not being a rule change.
If you have more top players from lower levels who are "moving up" (say Trey Lance at NDSU, decides to prove himself at Ohio State for a year), that could "take away" those roster spots from high school kids. Therefore forcing more (lower end) high school kids into lower end programs, to start.

And maybe this isn't a bad thing. Gives "diamonds in the rough" a chance to move up.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I feel like it makes transferring more attractive for the players that were highly rated recruits and for the kids that excelled at lower levels. But probably less attractive for the lower level players as the volume of transfers should increase I would think.

If you have more top players from lower levels who are "moving up" (say Trey Lance at NDSU, decides to prove himself at Ohio State for a year), that could "take away" those roster spots from high school kids. Therefore forcing more (lower end) high school kids into lower end programs, to start.

And maybe this isn't a bad thing. Gives "diamonds in the rough" a chance to move up.
and less spots at the top programs, so better ranked players will have to go to mid majors for playing time and prove themselves. Then the cycle starts over again. So essentially the mid majors become the farm system for the P5 schools, right?

and less spots at the top programs, so better ranked players will have to go to mid majors for playing time and prove themselves. Then the cycle starts over again. So essentially the mid majors become the farm system for the P5 schools, right?
Perhaps. We will see.

Even if coaches plan for 10 out of 25 in a class to be portal guys, that's still 15 high school kids getting a chance to go directly from high school into a helmet school program.

It appears to make recruiting a team easier. My recruits did not turn out, well I will just go pick up 10 guys from JC or another college. Look at the new QB for NDSU, I heard he got in some trouble in VT, he is now a sophomore and this will be his fourth year in college. What is the purpose move on. It is like having a 22 year old senior in HS.

Worked out alright for Chris Weinke

JCOS and Transfers to me are two different types of players.
JCOS are often there because of academic or character problems that precluded them from being recruited.
Transfers are mostly players that were not good enough to make the two deep where they are.
There are of course exceptions.

It appears to make recruiting a team easier. My recruits did not turn out, well I will just go pick up 10 guys from JC or another college. Look at the new QB for NDSU, I heard he got in some trouble in VT, he is now a sophomore and this will be his fourth year in college. What is the purpose move on. It is like having a 22 year old senior in HS.
Like mankato state hockey.

Top Bottom