Tragic death at Notre Dame FB practice.

station19

Reaction score
I'm sure most everyone has already heard about this. Condolences to the family............................BUT who in the he!! instructed or allowed this young man to be up on that portable stand with 50-60 mph winds. This could get very interestin.

I'm not an attorney, but my gut feeling is legal action.....possible criminal charges???

Here is an article from Chicago Sun Times.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/notredame/2010/10/tragedy_at_notre_dame_football.html

Sullivan's own haunting and heart-wrenching twitter messages provide an all-too chilling confirmation of that. ''Gusts of wind up to 60 mph well today will be fun at work ... I guess I've lived long enough.'' And less than an hour prior to the accident: ''Holy (bleep). Holy (bleep) this is terrifying.''

Sadly prophetic. Very sad story.

The part of the article that made me shake my head was the note that the scissor lifts shouldn't be operated in anything over 25mph winds. I read in another article that Kelly had the team keep practicing after the accident. Just effed up overall.

The part of the article that made me shake my head was the note that the scissor lifts shouldn't be operated in anything over 25mph winds. I read in another article that Kelly had the team keep practicing after the accident. Just effed up overall.

According to this, they practiced for an additional 25 minutes after the accident. As if there needed to be another reason to hate Notre Dame.

If only Weis was still on the field this tragedy may have been averted.

I don't know the situation, so I'm going to reserve judgment. But seriously, what is the football team going to do? Stand around watching the paramedics work on the kid? Seriously? Chances are, Kelly had the team keep practicing while getting information on the situation. It's not like he ordered the execution.

Very sad story. Not much common sense was being used by the football staff. Kelly might not make it a full year at Notre Dame.

I don't know the situation, so I'm going to reserve judgment. But seriously, what is the football team going to do? Stand around watching the paramedics work on the kid? Seriously? Chances are, Kelly had the team keep practicing while getting information on the situation. It's not like he ordered the execution.

I'd misread the article originally and thought the kid died on the street. Keeping a practice going when someone is dead seemed wrong. In actuality, he died at the hospital. So less concerning. Also, if the 2nd article positively4thstreet posted indicates that practice still ended early. So the practice thing seems like maybe less of a deal. Some heads still need to roll for putting the kid up on the tower in the first place though.

I'd misread the article originally and thought the kid died on the street. Keeping a practice going when someone is dead seemed wrong. In actuality, he died at the hospital. So less concerning. Also, if the 2nd article positively4thstreet posted indicates that practice still ended early. So the practice thing seems like maybe less of a deal. Some heads still need to roll for putting the kid up on the tower in the first place though.

I am pretty sure he was filming from the top of the crane.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/10/28/notre-dame-student-death.ap/index.html

If someone allowed him or told him to get up and film when the wind was gusting up to 50 mph, then whomever was responsible, Kelly or otherwise, are idiots. However, if there were low wind speeds and then they suddenly picked up that is an entirely different situation.

Regardless, this is truly tragic.

I am pretty sure he was filming from the top of the crane.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/10/28/notre-dame-student-death.ap/index.html

If someone allowed him or told him to get up and film when the wind was gusting up to 50 mph, then whomever was responsible, Kelly or otherwise, are idiots. However, if there were low wind speeds and then they suddenly picked up that is an entirely different situation.

Regardless, this is truly tragic.

Well, since South Bend was under a wind advisory he shouldn't have been up there in the first place. The definition of that weather alert is "sustained winds of 30 mph (48 km/h) or greater or gusts to 45 mph (72 km/h) or greater for a duration of one hour or longer." Pair that with the fact that scissor lifts shouldn't be used in winds over 25mph and you've got trouble.

scissor-lift.jpg

I'm not an attorney, but my gut feeling is legal action.....possible criminal charges???

I am not an attorney either but a civil action is a given in this case for Notre Dame(both the university and the athletic department). They is going to be paying a large sum of money to this poor kids family. I would guess 7 figures. It is also very possible Kelly could get sued as well as anyone else who could have prevented this tragedy from happening.

But if I had anything to do with sending that poor manager up the scissor lift(or that persons boss or if I was person of authority at practice even) I would be getting myself a pretty good lawyer right now simply to be ready, because I don't think criminally negligent homicide is that big off a reach here.

Whitlock: Kelly must go
Jason Whitlock thinks Brian Kelly should be fired for his negligence, what do others think? We experienced the very same winds here in Minnesota- a couple large trees were uprooted in my neighborhood- and I cannot understand why the team was practicing outside much less allowing a student up on a lift in those conditions. I think the AD needs to be fired at minimum and maybe Kelly as well, this was utterly insane lack of perspective on both their parts.

I question whether Whitlock thinks so much as he reacts to stimulus.

And if ND fires Brian Kelly...Joel, Bob and the folks at Parker can shut down their coaching search immediately...

I agree that it was a terrible lack of judgment on the part of somebody. Glen Mason on the radio said yesterday that he would personally not practice outside in those conditions. However, we have no idea if Kelly was ultimately responsible. The comments by the AD tend to get me more upset.

Anyone who says this "We don’t need a thorough and exhaustive investigation to recognize Kelly’s negligence" wants to let you know that you can stop reading. I love the "lets fire someone without assessing whether the person is actually responsible" idea. Whitlock = FAIL.

To clarify, I'm not saying Kelly shouldn't go if ND determines its his fault. I actually think the argument that the coach is ultimately in charge of everything is a good one (Whitlock's Tressel quote is powerful). But I can't believe he actually suggested forgetting about figuring out what happened before firing someone. Sigh...

I am not an attorney either but a civil action is a given in this case for Notre Dame(both the university and the athletic department). They is going to be paying a large sum of money to this poor kids family. I would guess 7 figures. It is also very possible Kelly could get sued as well as anyone else who could have prevented this tragedy from happening.

But if I had anything to do with sending that poor manager up the scissor lift(or that persons boss or if I was person of authority at practice even) I would be getting myself a pretty good lawyer right now simply to be ready, because I don't think criminally negligent homicide is that big off a reach here.

I think your right, this will easily cost ND 7 figures, but I'd be more worried about jail time with the negligent homicide rap.

Anyone who says this "We don’t need a thorough and exhaustive investigation to recognize Kelly’s negligence" wants to let you know that you can stop reading. I love the "lets fire someone without assessing whether the person is actually responsible" idea. Whitlock = FAIL.

THIS.

Typical Catholicism. Use the little people and then throw them away.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gOvxmQ9Hze8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gOvxmQ9Hze8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This has touched the whole Irish family.

tasteless

Tasteless yet still a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#bag award goes to

Khaliq in a narrow video victory over the anti-Catholic bigot Kelly Leeks

Tasteless yet still a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#bag award goes to

Khaliq in a narrow video victory over the anti-Catholic bigot Kelly Leeks

I don't think you get what the video is making fun of.

Also bigot is a word that should not be thrown around so freely. That is tasteless.

Top Bottom