Tough Conversations in a Tough Sport with special guest P.J. Fleck

GopherLady

Reaction score

"We sometimes hide behind our titles and the job, and we don't want to deal with the things that come after that or be judged," Fleck explained. "But I think it's important for your platform to be real. Whether somebody wants to judge that or criticize that, there's so many more than the critics. And that's not who it's for. It's for the people who really need to hear that you've done it, you've been through it. That you're a human being.

Fleck has been battling that 'tough athlete' mentality since his own days as a pro, and as leader of the regime at the U. He encourages his players by sharing his own personal experiences and by holding weekly check-in meetings with his players to discuss how they are doing off the field. Those measures of success are always greater than the wins and losses anyway. "It's hard being vulnerable," Fleck concluded. "That's why a lot of people don't want to share, because it's hard. But a lot of things are really hard. And the things that are really hard are really worth it. Those are the things that make the biggest difference.
Love our coach.

Mental health/counseling/performance coaching - this was the last big area that had been left open for teams to gain an edge over their opponents who weren't doing it.

If it hasn't already, I think this stuff will all become as commonplace among top programs as strength & conditioning, nutrition, and training (re-hab/pre-hab) staffs.

Get your mind right, and your body will follow.

The "fans" that don't like P.J. pretty much don't understand Emotional IQ...because they don't have it.

Mental health/counseling/performance coaching - this was the last big area that had been left open for teams to gain an edge over their opponents who weren't doing it.

If it hasn't already, I think this stuff will all become as commonplace among top programs as strength & conditioning, nutrition, and training (re-hab/pre-hab) staffs.

Get your mind right, and your body will follow.
100% agree and this will become a major differentiator in recruiting; these are the type of messages that parents love hearing in their living roooms; that their sons’ mental health will be supported

100% agree and this will become a major differentiator in recruiting; these are the type of messages that parents love hearing in their living roooms; that their sons’ mental health will be supported
The program's reputation will only grow stronger. It is not only because three to five players get drafted into the NFL in any given season. They are fully committed to every player's development on and off the field.

It is no wonder that there is a feeling of love in the football program. PJ Fleck is a true mentor and father figure. Holding weekly one-on-ones with the players goes a long way to nurturing young men into great adults. Ask CrAB and his family about a caring program.

I don't know where PJ Fleck finds the energy to do all his daily tasks. The Gophers are lucky to have him.

I wonder if PJ walks by Ben Johnson’s office and wants to stop in a coach him up.

Top Bottom