Top 25 Best/Worst College Football Fight Songs (Worst: #22. Minnesota Rouser)

We should really stop with the Big Game Boomer stuff, the guy just posts random lists with zero research and purposely makes them controversial for clicks. Rocky Top isn't even Tennessee's fight song.

Telling myself to take a deep breath.......
Telling myself to permanently ignore the Big Game Boomer crapola.......

But....
The notion that "Rocky Top Tennessee" is the #1 rated song is beyond comprehension

First off - it is not their "official fight song" - the official UT song is "Down the Field" (most of the rest of the songs listed on this "pathetic attempt at a ranking" are the official school songs)

Secondly, I am old enough to have attended the MN-TN Liberty Bowl game in 1986. "Rocky Top" was played incessantly by their band - if TN got a first down it was played, if the Gophers were stopped on first down (resulting in a second and long), it was played. On and on and on..... It became so obnoxious that to this day, will turn off the radio if it is playing. I have rooted against Tennessee in every sport - regardless of the opponent, regardless of the venue - since that game, largely because of "Rocky Top." I would think that the #1 fight song would not generate such venom in their opponents.

Hard to believe that something occurring 36 years ago could continue to instill in me such a response, but there you go.

Last edited:

The Rouser is not our fight song, Minnesota Fight is. The Rouser is our cheer or pep song.

Minnesota has the distinction of having six school songs:
The Minnesota Rouser
Minnesota Fight
Minnesota March
Our Minnesota
Hail Minnesota (University alma mater and official song of the state of Minnesota)
Go Gopher Victory

All six are great songs.

I was there for TN vs GA this year. Rocky top is played... A LOT... But I've never been to a game atmosphere like that... It didn't matter how much I heard that song

But....
The notion that "Rocky Top Tennessee" is the #1 rated song is beyond comprehension

First off - it is not their "official fight song" - the official UT song is "Down the Field" (most of the rest of the songs listed on this "pathetic attempt at a ranking" are the official school songs)

Secondly, I am old enough to have attended the MN-TN Liberty Bowl game in 1986. "Rocky Top" was played incessantly by their band - if TN got a first down it was played, if the Gophers were stopped on first down (resulting in a second and long), it was played. On and on and on..... It became so obnoxious that to this day, will turn off the radio if it is playing. I have rooted against Tennessee in every sport - regardless of the opponent, regardless of the venue - since that game, largely because of "Rocky Top." I would think that the #1 fight song would not generate such venom in their opponents.

Hard to believe that something occurring 36 years ago could continue to instill in me such a response, but there you go.

Pfffttt. Still haven't heard a better jingle at other stadiums. Ours sounds pretty unique.

I was there for TN vs GA this year. Rocky top is played... A LOT... But I've never been to a game atmosphere like that... It didn't matter how much I heard that song

I will admit that when Tennessee is winning in a big game (rare as of late) and Rocky Top is blasting, I think it's pretty cool.

The Rouser being on a bottom list is a disgrace though!

But....

OHMYGOSH. SAME! I was also at that bowl game. The WORST. Awful fans. Hated everything except Beale Street. Tennessee is up there with wisconsin in my hatred of a team. I can just barely tolerate Lee Greenwood "God Bless the USA" because of that game.

I will admit that when Tennessee is winning in a big game (rare as of late) and Rocky Top is blasting, I think it's pretty cool.

The Rouser being on a bottom list is a disgrace though!

As a gopher homer I agree.. the Rouser is in my blood

The “salute to the hill” is impressive and worthwhile for any college football fan to see live. Not to mention the Vol Navy, historic Neyland, and the city of Knoxville itself. I will definitely be back for a game at some point.

The Rouser is not our fight song, Minnesota Fight is. The Rouser is our cheer or pep song.

Minnesota has the distinction of having six school songs:
The Minnesota Rouser
Minnesota Fight
Minnesota March
Our Minnesota
Hail Minnesota (University alma mater and official song of the state of Minnesota)
Go Gopher Victory

All six are great songs.

Minnesota March > The Rouser > Minnesota Fight in my opinion. I get chills during the crescendo near the end of the March. I've always thought that lick should be the main song after TDs.

Last edited:

I don't think I've cheered for USC to win one single game ever, but they have the best fight song. It's iconic. Same with Boomer Sooner. Rocky Top could be a great drunk song after a game, but that damn song gets annoying as hell.

The top ten seem very reasonable to me except I would replace the Navy's fight song with Army's.
After the top ten, the rest are also run so their actual rankings are meaningless.

I always thought that Arizona State looked more burgundy than maroon.

Top Bottom