Too early to discuss, maybe, but it's in all our minds -

Rog

Reaction score
What is the Gopher football going to look like in 4 or 5 years? More than likely under Kill and staff? right up there with Michigan, Ohio State, present day Wisc? Or will we hit a plateau and settle in for 7 0r 8 wins a year? or worse no better than we are today? Damn, I hate to think of the latter.

One step at a time. Let's build and get to the point where we can consistently win 7-8 games as a baseline and then discuss how to get the program beyond that. Besides, there aren't many programs that have won at least 10 games every year for the past decade...

One step at a time. Let's build and get to the point where we can consistently win 7-8 games as a baseline and then discuss how to get the program beyond that. Besides, there aren't many programs that have won at least 10 games every year for the past decade...

+1 It may be interesting to speculate but nobody knows. Now if you could tell me what the top ten top performing stocks will be in 5 years that would have real value.

+1 It may be interesting to speculate but nobody knows. Now if you could tell me what the top ten top performing stocks will be in 5 years that would have real value.

Exactly. None of us has any clue what the future holds for this program. First we have to find out if Kill's systems and players can cut it in the Big Ten then we can start to project what their long term future looks like. Right now today I would say we will have a different coach in 5 years but the next few years will be key in determining if that will be the case of not.

+1

IF our program can average 7 or 8 wins a season that would mean that some years the program might fall a bit below BUT some years they will finish ABOVE 7or 8 wins. If you figure a 12 game regular season and MOST years a 13th game in the form of a bowl game and the fact that MORE of the games will be conference games, an average of 7 to 8 wins a year would make me a pretty darn happy fan. Because, to me that would mean that once in a while we might manage a 10 win season or if EVERYTHING broke our way even better. At least the chance might be there for a magical season.

To think that once we get competitive within the conference we WILL or we DESERVE to have the coach take us to a more dominating position I think is totally unrealistic and quite frankly probably is NOT going to happen. BUT, we really don't even have to worry about whether my attitude is a "loser's attitude or not..." We are SO FAR REMOVED from being there today that all we can do today is have our coach, his staff and players work...improve and KEEP winning enough games to be invited to bowl games most seasons.

Rog, I have been a real Gopher fan for about 60 years. You have been a fan longer than that. Sure, we all wish we would have had more wins...more bowl games...more glory years...but: would you TRADE your love of Golden Gopher Football for having been a fan of any other program? I can't answer for you, but I NEVER would. We have had some good. We have had some very bad...we older fans have had some very good. And we have had some "woulda...coulda...shoulda..." years. But, we have been there. We have been REAL fans...not fair-weathered fans. I have NO regrets. My guess might be that you would do it all over again...just as I would gladly do it all again! We have been along on the journey. And that's just exactly the way I see things going forward from here. I hope Coach Kill and his staff can regain being COMPETETIVE within the conference. And, lets remember that with the addition of Nebraska and the rise of the Badgers and the nice runs some other programs have had...it is not the same as it was for Stoll with the Big Two...little 8. That didn't last for so long in the context of time that we old-timers see time. And, things are changing very rapidly today. More additions and realignments within the conference.

Rog, you have been one of the GREAT fans that I have had the chance to meet. I know you are along on the journey for the LONG-HAUL. You have been very giving...very generous and have always BEEN THERE. That's as great a compliment as I can give a fellow Gopher Fan.

I don't know what the future will bring...BUT...I'm certainly going to be along on the journey for as long as I can. My hope right now is that we can get back to that 6 win to 8 win range on average. That means that some years will be better and some years not so much. But, IF we can be competitive in our conference I am not going to worry so much about national rankings or perceptions. This program has a long ways to go and if we can keep improving I think we will be doing well.

Right now I want the program to get back to the levels of competition we achieved a number of years ago...when we had players named to All-American Teams, All-Big Ten Teams, were invited to and bowl games on a fairly regular basis. That time WAS a good time. I enjoyed those days very much. We weren't where we wanted to be...BUT..we had it a HECK of a lot better than some of the other programs in our conference.

We have to be careful and we need to learn to appreciate what we do have and not fall into the trap of EXPECTING and feeling that we DESERVE anything. College football just doesn't work that way. It will tease you...it will fool you...it will thrill you and sometimes it will break your heart. It will plant unrealistic short-term goals in you head...yet it WILL leave you with good memories, appreciations for what you HAVE had...stark reality of what you DO have and dreams...ALWAYS dreams of what might be...what we might have. Those dreams are good dreams. We all must hang on to our dreams too....Good luck to our Gophers and good luck to we Gopher Fans too!

; 0 )

Assuming Kill is still our coach at that point, we should have a solid team. It just doesn't seem like Kill's style to miss on alot of recruits, and a full roster will aid in depth and overall success.

A few thoughts:
Will we get a transformative recruit in that timeframe? In state or out, a supertalented player can make a big difference to a program.

Will the conference remain as is? Not likely. I'll maintain that when Ferentz leaves Iowa, unless one of their savior coaching alums takes the gig, they will fall back a bit. Same with NW, though Fitz appears a lifer, it may change at some point for unforseen reasons.
wisky post alvarez? Who knows. OSU's likely to hit some sanctions with Meyer there. Etc Etc

I'll say this: If Kill continues to build, and is given resources and time, i do think he wins double digit games his contract is up. He may not keep the program at that level, but I haven't seen as many red flags as with Brewster or Mason, and he's not likely to leave for anything other than a helmet school, and no helmet school will likely hire him without a big season.

Anywho, it's fun to think about, but really I'm just hoping for another baby step this year and the next towards 7-8 wins, which IMO would be a really good sign that things are moving in the right direction.

Infollowing up to "imthewalrus" comments about how long I have been a Gopher fan. Yes, I have been a fan for at least 75 years. Starting out as a youngster listening to WCCO radio in the mid to late 30's when Bernie was bringing home many of those 7 national titles.

I had the opportunity to mention the following to Coach Kill. "I started my journey as a Gopher Fan when Minnesota was at the top nationally, but had many "bumps" along the road since. I told him I don't have many years left but I sure would like to end the journey at the same level that I started the journey at."

Being an optimist, I'm still hoping.

journey

Infollowing up to "imthewalrus" comments about how long I have been a Gopher fan. Yes, I have been a fan for at least 75 years. Starting out as a youngster listening to WCCO radio in the mid to late 30's when Bernie was bringing home many of those 7 national titles.

I had the opportunity to mention the following to Coach Kill. "I started my journey as a Gopher Fan when Minnesota was at the top nationally, but had many "bumps" along the road since. I told him I don't have many years left but I sure would like to end the journey at the same level that I started the journey at."

journey

I am with you Rog, but those younger than us have only one view...Immediate Gratification. We are a dying breed.

journey

Unbelievable! You've truly seen it all and been the consummate fan. Congrats!

I realize people are tired of hearing this and it becomes a cliche, but the 2013 Gophers will again be a young football team. If you look at this coming year's seniors who were significant contributors to last year's squad, I can count 5: Hageman, Hill, Vereen, Engel, and Olson. All the guys on the team are valuable and that's not to knock others that played and showed some promise who might be poised to breakout this year like Manuel, Shabazz, Baltazar, Henry, etc.; it's just my view on who the players were that we absolutely had to have to get to 6 wins last year.

For 2013, I want to see a team that is 4-0 and takes care of inferior opponents in the non-conference schedule. No more OT games against UNLV or close calls against Western Michigan. Beat the teams you are supposed to beat at home by 2-3 TDs. In the Big Ten season, show progress by winning 2-3 games and competing against the teams that we couldn't last season. MSU and Nebraska manhandled us at the end of the year. How do we respond this year with our entire O-line back and a year older, as well as our D-line (minus Wilhite)? I realize in the end it's all about wins and losses, but I really believe we do need to show some patience this year, as I could see us winning 6-7 games and being a significantly better team.

I realize people are tired of hearing this and it becomes a cliche, but the 2013 Gophers will again be a young football team. If you look at this coming year's seniors who were significant contributors to last year's squad, I can count 5: Hageman, Hill, Vereen, Engel, and Olson. All the guys on the team are valuable and that's not to knock others that played and showed some promise who might be poised to breakout this year like Manuel, Shabazz, Baltazar, Henry, etc.; it's just my view on who the players were that we absolutely had to have to get to 6 wins last year.

For 2013, I want to see a team that is 4-0 and takes care of inferior opponents in the non-conference schedule. No more OT games against UNLV or close calls against Western Michigan. Beat the teams you are supposed to beat at home by 2-3 TDs. In the Big Ten season, show progress by winning 2-3 games and competing against the teams that we couldn't last season. MSU and Nebraska manhandled us at the end of the year. How do we respond this year with our entire O-line back and a year older, as well as our D-line (minus Wilhite)? I realize in the end it's all about wins and losses, but I really believe we do need to show some patience this year, as I could see us winning 6-7 games and being a significantly better team.

+1

I don't think that hoping for 7-8 wins a year is setting the bar very high. Under the current scheduling policy (topic for another thread), the Gophs are going to go 4-0 or at worst 3-1 in the non-conference games (assuming 8 conf games). 7 or 8 wins means 4-0 in non-conf, 3-5 in conf, and a win or a loss in a mid-level bowl game.

IF the B1G goes to 9 conf games, then you're looking at 3-0 in non-conf, 4-5 in Conf and a win or a loss in the same mid-level bowl game for 7 or 8 wins.

If you're telling me that's as good as it's going to get, I can live with that. But, every now and then, it would be nice to have one of those break-out seasons where you win 9 or 10 games, and play in a "name' bowl game. Realistically, with a 9-game conf schedule, that means 3-0 in non-conf, 6-3 in conf, and a win or a loss in the bowl game. Six wins in the Conf will not be easy - but if you don't set high goals, you will never achieve them.

As far as the coach - if the Gophs are consistently winning 7-8 games, with some bowl victories mixed in, I think Kill can be the coach as long as he wants. (but, I'll make this prediction - if the Gophs settle in at 7-8 wins, there will be people on this board complaining that the team has hit a plateau, and they'll be calling for a new coach......)

Beat the skunks and chicken hawks in the same year and a corner has been turned. Beat them on the road and you start regaining fans who have ignored the program. Beat them 3 years running and TCF games will all be sold out. To me this would be a 7-8-9 win season
consecutively. You move on from there. To me, this is doable.

Yes

Yes, I agree with your perspective. Patience and 6 or 7 wins would be a significantly better team.
You gotta walk before you can run. The conference schedule is not easy. More would be awesome but patience is important.

If we could consistently win 7+ games a year and get a shot at a title every so often that would be awesome. I don't think people realize just how entrenched the top-tier teams are. They can falter from time to time bu they have the fan support to weather the storm. We do not. Unless we totally lay an egg this year, we'll be bowling. We might even be finish middle of the pack in conference if a few things go our way.

Top Bottom