Tom Dienhart: These 'D' coaches are ready for next step

I was suprised that Cosgrove was not mentioned in this article.

Mark stoops, Bud Foster and Kirby Smart are really interesting names, more entrenched in the south but...

Not a lot of options as this article points out. Hire the best O mind in Leach.

Mark stoops, Bud Foster and Kirby Smart are really interesting names, more entrenched in the south but...

Bud Foster has been coaching at Frank Beamer's side for 30 years. He's not leaving to go to Minnesota, of all places.

Kirby Smart is Alabama's defensive coordinator. At 34 years old. He was born in Alabama and raised in Georgia. He's coached in SEC country his entire career. Why would he want to derail his promising upward ascent by going to a terrible team in a conference, recruiting area, culture, etc. with which he's not at all familiar? He's probably the most unrealistic candidate mentioned on the board recently, and that includes Harbaugh and Dungy.

Mark Stoops could be a reasonable candidate. But something tells me you don't leave your brother's side to go to a high-profile job at FSU unless you have something bigger than Minnesota in your sights.

This article shows that finding a quality D-Coordinator is tough, and finding a o-coordinator is fishing with dynamite in a bucket. (okay a bit over the top). But get the best D-guy and hire the leach's to run the offensive show.

Right now in college football, offense wins games. Game to watch this week: Oregon vs USC. Lets see how a highly regarded ex NFL coach in old man Kiffin does against a high powered college offense.

Good article. I'd be ok with Stoops, Beckman, Foster, most of these guys.

I keep trying to find a reason not to, but I always come back to Golden as my #2 choice (behind Harbaugh).

Big Ten roots and has absolutely gone 180 degrees with Temple.

I wonder why Oklahoma DC Brent Venables wasn't mentioned. Seems to have paid his dues at Kansas State and now Oklahoma, but maybe he's loyal to Stoops.

I wonder why Oklahoma DC Brent Venables wasn't mentioned. Seems to have paid his dues at Kansas State and now Oklahoma, but maybe he's loyal to Stoops.
His defense doesn't show up in big games. See last weekend for an example.

Top Bottom