Tom Dienhart: Chuck Neinas has been hired to conduct the coaching search

Dungy will not be working with Neinas. Neinas has his own shop and runs things his way by all accounts. If TD is involved in any way I suspect it would be to recommend candidates or advise when the hiring decision is made.

Dungy's job will be to convince that prospective coach that he is not throwing his career away by coming to the U.

...all while he refuses to throw his career away by coming to the U.

JK.

I think Dungy will actually be part of both situations. I think he'll be part of the interviewing process and the "recruitment" process.

It also adds Dungy's integrity and celebrity to the process, which can't hurt. I mean, who is better known in coaching circles - Tony Dungy or Joel Maturi.

I had never heard of Neinas before, but it sounds like he can talk to any coaching candidate without having to get permission from his AD. I know that is uaually a formality is searches, but certainly increases the possibility of a leak. Since Neinas doesn't reveal for whom he is working, he doesn't need permission.

Consulting Firm Used When Brew Was Hired

What was the search firm who brought us Brew?

Bologna Productions!

They tend to favor enthusiastic non-stop talking positive candidates!

They've got a classy corporate office building located in "Resume Speed" Minnesota.

LOL :clap:

When I first read this, I thought you were being a d1ck and telling me to just Google it. Then it hit me a few seconds later.

Well played, sir. Well played.

Neinas has been hired for a coversation to be had with 3 major college football coaches that cannot be done by anyone else. Once these 3 discussion are completed IMO it will be settled.

I for one would like to see Dungy sitting at the podium table with the AD, president, and the eventual hire at the news conference. Putting his 'neck on the line' as Maturi once famously said! Then we'd know we got his best and it wasn't just JM trying to appease angry fans and boosters by saying he was going to help.

I think TD will be asked for his opinion about potential coaches and that is it.

I for one would like to see Dungy sitting at the podium table with the AD, president, and the eventual hire at the news conference. Putting his 'neck on the line' as Maturi once famously said! Then we'd know we got his best and it wasn't just JM trying to appease angry fans and boosters by saying he was going to help.

No. Unless he signs on to represent the U in some fashion he shouldn't be up there.

Will Neinas be searching exclusively for the U doing this time period? I assume that is the way these things work but don't know for sure.

I read that quote and just about fell off my chair laughing.

Yep. When I read the quotes about AD's doing the job all I could think was "These guys haven't met Joel Maturi."

Andrew Zimbalist - typical academic economist, can crunch the "numbers" but has no idea relating to the real world execution or sensitivity to these situations.

Andrew Zimbalist - typical academic economist, can crunch the "numbers" but has no idea relating to the real world execution or sensitivity to these situations.

Funny, I read a lot of Zimbalist in college, most of his stadium research would tick the average sports fan off as well.

My point is that Zimbalist has missed the mark in his comment. Neinas is being paid to approach candidates (especially those under contract) about the opportunity in a discrete manner about their interest level for this job. Is it worth $40,000 to keep it from your fans (and potential hire) that he was really your 6th favorite candidate, but only one who wanted anything to do with your school? You don't think information like that wouldn't be used during recruiting. Brewster may have blown Maturi away in the interview (the claim) or he may have been the best interview that said yes, we don't really know.

"Smith College" - hehe, hard to imagine Smith as a source of sports wisdom. (was a great place for my Early Music lessons tho)

question for the lawyers on the board

He won't even submit a written report to the U at the end of the process...it'll be verbal to Maturi and anyone else they decide needs to hear it (assume Prez, legal) so that the MN papers can't use open records laws to find out about the search.

This is a good sign. Neinas is the guy the big boys use. It guarantees nothing (while Neinas has plenty of hits, his misses include Willingham, Franchione, etc) but it shows that the U is serious. It may also show that the U doesn't trust Maturi to do it alone, but that is good and also shows that they're serious.

I'm not a lawyer, but I work with them all the time on patent apps, contracts, and CDA's. I can see why Neinas is adverse to seeing his correspondence splashed all over the sports section, but I would think if the U routed all their communications to him through general counsel or better yet an outside law firm (cue Tom Moe) it would be covered by attorney client privilege? That would at least slow down any FIA requests. And once the coach is hired the whole thing becomes moot.

Still, the less in writing the less the chance for a leak. Like GoAUpher said, if we want to sit at the big boy table, this is a good first step.

"Smith College" - hehe, hard to imagine Smith as a source of sports wisdom. (was a great place for my Early Music lessons tho)

Did you grow up or at least spend time in Northampton? I spent most of my high school years there. For people unfamiliar with Smith, it is solidly on the Macalester end of the academic, and political spectrum.

I was in grad school at Massachusetts (i.e. UMass) after my undergrad at the U. The Five College system was nice.

I don't care what they do. I just want a guy that knows what he's doing.

Top Bottom