TODD BLACKLEDGE, NOAH EAGLE & KATHRYN TAPPEN TO CALL NBC SPORTS’ NEW BIG TEN SATURDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL PACKAGE

MisterGopher

Reaction score
NBC Sports today announced its Big Ten Saturday Night college football announce team, featuring Todd Blackledge (analyst) and Noah Eagle (play-by-play) in the booth and Kathryn Tappen as sideline reporter.

Every weekend from Sept. 2 through Nov. 25, the trio will call a Big Ten Football game, which will be broadcast on NBC and simulstreamed on Peacock. Big Ten Saturday Night highlights an NBC Sports-record 33 college football games in Fall 2023.

Loud-noises_large.jpg

I saw a game once many years ago where they had some mixup and the announcers weren't getting fed to the broadcast. It was just crowd noise, band, ref's mic, and sounds of the game. It was the best broadcast I ever watched.

I saw a game once many years ago where they had some mixup and the announcers weren't getting fed to the broadcast. It was just crowd noise, band, ref's mic, and sounds of the game. It was the best broadcast I ever watched.
Getting / hearing the crowd’s response really enhances a game for me.

I enjoy ESPN’s overhead, behind the QB broadcast they sometimes have for big games when it’s on multiple channels. No announcers, just crowd noise and it gives you something close to the QB’s POV.

My general opinion based off last season was that any ABC/ESPN crew/production was pretty bad (not just for Gopher games). Other networks were fine.
Even the last couple years. ESPN cost cutting has been really apparent.

It was so bad that the PAC12 complained publicly after a couple games had repeated missed plays, really weirdly dark video, off sound, and just generally crap production values, like bad cable access quality. IIRC ESPN actually apologized and promised to do better.

One of the best things about the B1G is the conference is part owner and seems to have an interest in quality production values. Commentators often actually know the teams! Before BTN we sometimes weren't on TV or being on ESPNU meant you got garbage production quality.

BTN actually seems to put a lot of effort into games that aren't even top viewership games.

I wish pro sports would start to take more of an interest in how good their production values are and so on. Rather they're happy to take a paycheck from Bally ... or whatever streaming service there is who often does a poor job ... but the team got paid up front so I think they care a hell of a lot less / don't put themselves in the process as much.

Was that Aggie Vision?

I watch the games on mute so it makes no difference to me who the talking heads are.
Same, except I usually play music versus announcers. Having said that, I do like Todd Blackledge. I liked Brad Nessler matched up with him.

I watch the games on mute so it makes no difference to me who the talking heads are.
I started to turn off the sound because my teenage sons know it all and give their perspective, so I can't hear the announcers anyway.

Top Bottom