Toby Durham says Minnesota leads

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per SuperPrep.com:

Toby Durham says five schools are still calling him on a regular basis.

"They are Middle Tennessee, Minnesota, East Carolina, Colorado State, and Toledo," Durham said. "Right now, I don't have any official visits scheduled."

Durham, 5-foot-11 and 175 pounds, said he hasn't received any in-home visits yet and named a leader of the group.

"I like Minnesota a lot because that’s the only school I visited," He said. "It feels like home, I bonded a lot with the coaches. The biggest things I'm looking for are education and how the coaches are."

The standout RB talked about his senior season that recently ended.

"It went pretty good," he said. "I finished with 1,121 yards on 95 carries. We played hard and came together as a team but just came up short."

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=2&c=926736

Go Gophers!!

Good news I had kinda hoped he would have committed by now there was some talk him and his cousin Tyrone Bouie are a package deal. It could be that he waited until his season ended. Also he's listed on Rivals as a WR I think that's the position were recruiting him as.

I wonder what type of competition he plays where he averages 11.8 yards per carry.

We're in the running with the power houses Middle Tennessee, East Carolina, Colorado State, and Toledo? We're sure making progress!

And btw, East Carolina? WTF?

per SuperPrep.com:

Toby Durham says five schools are still calling him on a regular basis.

"They are Middle Tennessee, Minnesota, East Carolina, Colorado State, and Toledo," Durham said. "Right now, I don't have any official visits scheduled."

Durham, 5-foot-11 and 175 pounds, said he hasn't received any in-home visits yet and named a leader of the group.

"I like Minnesota a lot because that’s the only school I visited," He said. "It feels like home, I bonded a lot with the coaches. The biggest things I'm looking for are education and how the coaches are."

The standout RB talked about his senior season that recently ended.

"It went pretty good," he said. "I finished with 1,121 yards on 95 carries. We played hard and came together as a team but just came up short."

Can never have too many good running backs.

We're in the running with the power houses Middle Tennessee, East Carolina, Colorado State, and Toledo? We're sure making progress!

And btw, East Carolina? WTF?

Just because someone isn't heavily recruited by the elite schools doesn't mean they can't be a great player.

East Carolina won the Conference USA championship this year and are going to play Arkansas in the Liberty Bowl. Also, in 2004, East Carolina signed a two-star recruit out of Florida by the name of Chris Johnson. I'd say that one worked out pretty well for ECU.

Just because someone isn't heavily recruited by the elite schools doesn't mean they can't be a great player.

East Carolina won the Conference USA championship this year and are going to play Arkansas in the Liberty Bowl. Also, in 2004, East Carolina signed a two-star recruit out of Florida by the name of Chris Johnson. I'd say that one worked out pretty well for ECU.

Word. Nobody will dispute that CJ is pretty good, right? Rankings and who recruits who are not the end-all decision maker of player talent. Granted, they are usually a good indicator but that does not mean they always work or never let anyone slip through the cracks...

the point is that Brew is not competing and winning with the recruits "perceived" to be the best by the elite programs...who actually turns out to be a great player is another matter altogether...clearly his ability to "coach up" players is in question, so hence the concerns

really? he cant coach up players? i would hate to see what our record would have been with our previous coach. campbell, our best LB, was a LB, DL and a FB under mase. brew helped coach him up and now he should be a late round draft pick in the NFL as a LB and i could go on and on about different players. i think we are recruiting players that fit the system that we are going to be running and most importantly we are recruiting speed

really? he cant coach up players? i would hate to see what our record would have been with our previous coach. campbell, our best LB, was a LB, DL and a FB under mase. brew helped coach him up and now he should be a late round draft pick in the NFL as a LB and i could go on and on about different players. i think we are recruiting players that fit the system that we are going to be running and most importantly we are recruiting speed

Good call Sotakid! How are things buddy?

East Carolina is a good school if I remember they were ranked in the top 15 last year...

competition

I wonder what type of competition he plays where he averages 11.8 yards per carry.

Sanford Seminole HS play against the top teams in Florida. They beat Miami NorthWestern in last years Florida State Championship. Tyrone and Toby both started and had good numbers as Juniors on a stacked seminole HS team some of the notables from that team were

Ray Ray Armstrong - (started as a Freshman this year at Miami)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsrmCMJzJ5Q

Andre Debose- (Freshman Florida Gators) was supose to take over for Percy Harvin this year before blowing out his knee http://www.gatorcountry.com/football_recruiting/article/andre_debose_calls_it_for_the_gators/5351

Dyron Dye- (Freshman for Miami Hurricanes)http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/dye_dyron00.html

As far as competition goes they played the best in the state of Florida. I might be partial because I live here in Sanford Florida but I think you all will be happy with them. Its my personal opinion that one of the big reasons they both were so underrated and not as highly recruited was because last year they were a bit over shadowed by the big three.

Just my two cents not being a Minnessota fan perse but will start watching them next year :-D think they are both talented football players and good kids.

You have all seen Tyrones highlights but havent seen Toby's posted so going to post them here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRk1V1thpiA

Who's that defender at 2:00? #25. Big guy was moving pretty good.

good athlete. seems a little short on burst. wondering if he'll get enough of that from a D1 strength program. seems he's better once he's moving, maybe a WR? Good vision and smart. Good to have him.

Great leg drive, acceleration and vision. Looks like he isn't afraid to lay a block when needed too. He will look good in maroon/gold and even white for that matter.

At this point I can't see Toby as being anything but a plan B recruit. We have 24 commits and 2 grayshirts. We are allowed 25 scholarships with the ability to over sign by 3. That makes for 28 available slots, with 26 spoken for, with Henderson and Allen still in play as plan A players everyone else becomes a plan B.

If he's averaging over 11 yards a pop against some of Florida's best competition, he definitely deserves a serious look. I liked what I saw on the highlight tape and I think ESPN has actually given him a nice rating (a 77 if I remember correctly). I guess I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a pretty darn good player at the next level.

the point is that Brew is not competing and winning with the recruits "perceived" to be the best by the elite programs...who actually turns out to be a great player is another matter altogether...clearly his ability to "coach up" players is in question, so hence the concerns

I take issue with both your talking pointss....

1) "Not competing and winning with recruits perceived to be the best by the lite programs." If, by that you mean we're not consistently beating USC, LSU, Florida and Ohio St for their most sought after 5* recruits you're right and we probably never will. However, the facts are we've competed against and beat out Oklahoma, Notre Dame, West Virginia, Michigan, Michigan St, Miami Fla, Texas Tech, Nebraska, Utah, BYU, TCU, Oregon, Rutgers, Wisconsin, Iowa, Florida, Cal, Ohio St, et al (Off the top of my head) over the past few years. It's not like MOST players have offer lists like Durham. I'd say he's he exception to the rule and it appears he's a plan B guy anyhow, so let's not get too down about the guy's offer list that isn't even coming to the U.

2) "clearly his ability to "coach up" players is in question". Clearly? Tell that to Marcus Sherrels, Eric Small, Willie Van DeSteeg, Garret Brown, Ryan Collado, Lee Campbell, Nate Triplett, Eric Decker, Erick Ellested & Blake Hauden. Those are just players Brew inherited (Again off the top of my head) who've "clearly" been "coached up" quite a bit. You could also look at recruits like Tinsley, Cooper, Brandon Green, Mike Carter, Kirksey, Edwards, Stoudermire, McKnight & others and say they've progressed quite a bit since stepping foot on campus and that doesn't include transfers and Jucos like Royston and Wills who both played much better as the season went on.

ECU is no joke of a football program. You may consider them a "mid-major" type program, but they have a solid schedule (this year included WVU, UNC, UCF, VT, Southern Miss, and Houston), and they are playing Arkansas in their bowl game. That is good exposure for their players.

I have to imagine there is some advantage for playing for a top-flight mid-major program as opposed to a mediocre Big 10 school.

Top Bottom