Tobi Okuyemi talks recruiting

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this article from SuperPrep.com:

Despite only playing defensive end for the last two seasons, Plymouth (Minn.) Wayzata's Tobi Okuyemi has still managed to turn himself into a top prospect. Currently with six offers, he filled us in on the possibility of the seventh.

Plymouth Wayzata returns several key players from their state championship team from a year ago. Several of those athletes have already earned FBS scholarship offers.
One of the team's top prospects is defensive end Tobi Okuyemi, who currently holds six offers. The first came way back in December and the 6'4, 240-lb junior has not forgotten.

"It was surprising getting the first offer form Iowa," he admitted, "It came out of nowhere. I wasn’t expecting that. That was the middle of December and since then. everything started falling into place."

Other offers followed, from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Nebraska and Vanderbilt. He has interest coming from a number of other schools and believes the seventh offer could be around the corner.

"I think Notre Dame was really excited about me," he reported, "They wanted me to come to camp. They were saying they like to see a guy before they offer, so hopefully I can go to their camp and see."

Okuyemi has additional interest from Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State and others. Summer time is when recruts from across the country head to camps in hopes of earning new offers, but he is taking a different approach.

"I’m not doing too many," he explained, "I'm thinking about doing Notre Dame, I think Minnesota and maybe Iowa."

Okuyemi was born in Atlanta, but lived in Kansas City for 13 years. As a result, he says distance is not a factor.

As a junior, he recorded 58 tackles (17 for loss) and nine sacks.

Go Gophers!!

Just a hunch but my gut tells me this kid wont be a Gopher come next year. Looks like really nice player and at a position of need for the Gophs but I think he goes elsewhere. He has lived in other places so this isnt really "home" for him and he seems to like all the recruiting attention and offers coming in.

I'll make a call. He ends up in the Big 12.

I'll make a call. He ends up in the Big 12.

I agre with you, I bet he ends up at Nebraska as they are recruiting him pretty hard from everything I have heard and he attended their spring game and was supposedly pretty impressed.

Top Bottom