Tobi Okuyemi talks recruiting

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from Monter:

Tobi Okuyemi, a 6-foot-3, 235-pound defensive end from Plymouth (MN) Wayzata, helped lead the Trojans to a 14-0 mark this pastseason and a Class AAAA Prpe Bowl championship. Okuyemi was named third team All-Metro by the Minneapolis Star Tribune. GoldenSports.Net caught up with Okuyemi after the Torjans first round playoff basketball win over Minneapolis Southwest to learn the latest.

"Right now, I have five offers," he said. "The "U of M" (Minnesota), Wisconsin, Iowa, Kentucky and Nebraska. Nebraska, most recently from last week."

Okuyemi has plans to make several visit in the next month.

"I am planing on going to the Nebraska spring game in April and possibly the Iowa and Wisconsin games, depending on how my schedule works out."

Okuyemi is not sure of his summer camp plans,

"I think that a couple of guys from my school are going to Iowa for their one-day camp," he said. "Other than that, I'm not sure. I want to figure out what is on my list for this summer."

Okuyemi also figures to visit the local school.

"I'll probably go to the spring game for sure," he said. "I'm not sure about the camp. It depends on my schedule."

Okuyemi said that he does not have a favorite school yet.

"It's still pretty early right now. I am trying to get my feel for things. Seeing the schools and and everything and what they have to offer. It's going pretty well right now."

Go Gophers!!

Okuyemi might as well be gone at this point. Once he gets to Nebraska for the spring and see's 80000+ there cheering for a SPRING GAME that could be the end of his recuitment. If I remember correctly Nebraska's Spring Game last year was an insanely huge deal. I think tickets were going for 1000's on the street. They are crazy about there Cornhuskers, I guess there isn't much else to do in Nebraska.

I guess now Nebrasa's a recruiting powerhouse again? Yea right. He may very well end up there but I don't worry about a Nebraska visit. I worry about an ND or OSU visit in the midwest

Iowa doesn't play a spring game and I wouldn't worry too much about Nebraska. Tobi will be coming to the Gopher's spring game along with many other future Gophers so hopefully Brewster can get a verbal next month. The Gophers have room for immediate playing time available at DE so he could see the field early at the U.

Okuyemi might as well be gone at this point. Once he gets to Nebraska for the spring and see's 80000+ there cheering for a SPRING GAME that could be the end of his recuitment. If I remember correctly Nebraska's Spring Game last year was an insanely huge deal. I think tickets were going for 1000's on the street. They are crazy about there Cornhuskers, I guess there isn't much else to do in Nebraska.
Yeah, but he'd be stuck in Lincoln.

Iowa doesn't play a spring game and I wouldn't worry too much about Nebraska. Tobi will be coming to the Gopher's spring game along with many other future Gophers so hopefully Brewster can get a verbal next month. The Gophers have room for immediate playing time available at DE so he could see the field early at the U.

Tough to recruit with a spring game of 5K fans compared to 80K. Would be an amazing get for us though.

By the logic being espoused here, Nebraska signs every player that comes to their spring game.

Nebraska's annual recruiting plan
1. Invite the top 25 players in the nation to the spring game
2. Sign every single one, because WHO can turn down 80,000!!1!11!!1!! fans at your spring game?!?
3. Profit

Who cares about the crowd at a spring game? Its Lincoln, NE! We also have Twins games to go to (a new stadium there as well), golf courses opening up after a long winter (not much warmer in Lincoln, as flat and windy as it is), ice coming off Lake Minnetonka (Maynards or Lord Fletcher's anyone?), etc, etc.

I don't care how many people are going to be at the spring game. When the real games begin in September, TCF will be full, loud, proud, and maroon and gold from top to bottom.

Come and join us, Tobi! You have an open invitation!

Question. Someone in the know here....how much potential does this guy have? Would he be a great get or will there be a lot players out there who fit his profile?

We can rip on Lincoln all we want.....

but the atmosphere not only in spring practice but especially on gamedays is what Brewster is striving to get to. When Nebraska shows recruits their facilities, hall of recent (last 20 years) All Americans and Heisman trophy winners and a stadium that holds around 75 - 80,000 and has been sold out for decades.....and then introduces the recruits to the athletic director that, as a coach, won multiple national titles, it is very impressive and something many want to be a part of.

By the logic being espoused here, Nebraska signs every player that comes to their spring game.

Nebraska's annual recruiting plan
1. Invite the top 25 players in the nation to the spring game
2. Sign every single one, because WHO can turn down 80,000!!1!11!!1!! fans at your spring game?!?
3. Profit

Classic...Minnesota should definately adopt this plan, especially the last part.

Agree, TWeber

but the atmosphere not only in spring practice but especially on gamedays is what Brewster is striving to get to. When Nebraska shows recruits their facilities, hall of recent (last 20 years) All Americans and Heisman trophy winners and a stadium that holds around 75 - 80,000 and has been sold out for decades.....and then introduces the recruits to the athletic director that, as a coach, won multiple national titles, it is very impressive and something many want to be a part of.

I lived in Lincoln for a few years. While some here like to trash the Husker program, Brewster would die for that kind of support. And it is not just the angle that NE has no top tier pro sports and Husker football is their pro sport. There are a host of programs around the country that mirror the Nebraska demographics....but it does not happen there. It is a combination of institutional support, fan support and a strong and stable coaching staff (well, until lately...Devaney and Osborne had great staffs who never left).

I hope we can get some of that support from our fans and Brew can lock into a stable staff. Make no mistake, Brew has a major challenge building a team and growing team support here. I think we have the strongest institutional support for football we have had from the U since the days of Bierman (could maybe argue we had it for a couple years when Holtz was here). The undertow of a cynical and resigned fan base cannot be overstated. It is tough to shake 40+ years of mediocrity. I hope we can do it.

The undertow of a cynical and resigned fan base cannot be overstated. It is tough to shake 40+ years of mediocrity. I hope we can do it.

Totally agree but this is why/how the only way it will change:

TCF Stadium+Winning

Wow this kid is sure playing it cool...Seemed like he really doesn't want to talk much about any of his plans (except going to Neb).

Come on. If this were true, Nebraska would get far better recruiting classes than it does.

Come on. If this were true, Nebraska would get far better recruiting classes than it does.

Agree. If this reasoning regarding Nebraska recruiting was carried on, it would be amazing if anyone who played football and visited the Cornhuskers ever even came home from the trip:eek:

Top Bottom