To spur a rural rebound, one Minnesota county is paying college athletes to promote it.

Inventive. All of rural Minnesota is experiencing a workforce shortage, but a lot of those jobs are entry-level hourly work. The need is especially keen outside the Rochester-to-St. Cloud corridor.

It's really hard to calculate the cost/benefit on lower compensation/lower cost-of-living compared with the opposite. I think the big difference comes in terms of wealth generation, which is largely tied to home values. I have worked with a lot of people who come to the metropolitan area from rural (and deep rural) areas who find it difficult to find housing comparable to what they had at a price they can afford and often have difficulty selling their rural property.

Advantages to both ways of living. I grew up somewhat rural in the 1950s and 1960s (on a farm near a small town about an hour from the Twin Cities). Farm economy has changed so much that there is a hollowing out of the middle class in a lot of these communities unless the community can re-invent itself to some extent.

Top Bottom