To help prepare for the arrival of USC Football

I don’t know where you got the Minnesota gold…maybe it’s an optical illusion but it doesn’t look right…

I don’t know where you got the Minnesota gold…maybe it’s an optical illusion but it doesn’t look right…
Ya, UMNs gold is just a little off, but the maroon is really off (not enough MYK). But, I punched in some of the numbers below into a few different applications and it varied compared to what UMNs style guide shows visually, so who knows what's what?
USCs seems to be pretty spot on...and consistent. Their's always is. I remember a few years back when the powers that be at Michigan State laid down the law and said "this is the only green you can use!", or something like that, and it's worked. Everything is the same. I feel Minnesota is all over the board as far as marketing, literature, uniforms, etc. goes. They need to do what MSU did.

Anyhoo, from each school's official style guide*...
Screen Shot 2023-07-10 at 9.18.27 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2023-07-10 at 9.18.57 AM.jpg
* I used to be in prepress and this stuff has never left me (I wish it would). Style guides were the bible and any variance in color from that bible, no matter how minuscule, could and would send a client through the roof.

to be fair, the Gophers have tweaked the shades of maroon and gold over the years. I remain a fan of the more "metallic" gold - or at least a less yellow version of gold. last time I had my house painted, I went with something called "sunset gold" and I really like it. and yes, I have maroon accents around the windows and trim.

as far as uniforms, I think the gold pants should be worn with almost every combination.

Seems like a semi related place to share this thought: after next season USC will have made more visits to the bank than Indiana.
True. But Indiana played 14 consecutive games against Minnesota IN Minneapolis from 1928 to 1953. So maybe we are trying to even it up by them never coming here?

Will not USC as the visiting team wear white shirts with red markings and gold pants?

Aaaand how are these different from Florida State and Arizona State?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I am already feeling color-blind! You can't go wrong wearing maroon and gold.

Last edited:

Florida State and Arizona State have terrible colors.

USC's are great.

Ours are glorious.

Let’s bring bring last weeks winner at Canterbury to lead the Gophers out and have Goldy slam the sword into mid field. I was at the last USC game in LA. That’s the way they brought out the Trojans. Of course Kill kept the Gophers In the locker room to miss the ritual.

As long as the Song Girls come with the USC FB team I care not a whit about the costumes of the players.

not really color related, but... Does the USC band do Tusk? Will they travel and do that?

Top Bottom