Time for change on offense

gold04

Reaction score
For three games I have seen our offense sputter and many people thought it would be the strength of our time. They did better today but change is needed.

1. O-line - Davis is in your face type of coach and he needs to do be that way with the O-line. No guy on the O-line shoud have a free pass as a starter. He needs to tell them if you can't block, then we will find someone else who will.

2. Running backs - It's time we try someone else. Even Griese mentioned how slow our running backs looked. It's time to give Whaley a shot. If your worried that Whaley can't block (he couldn't do much worse then the other running backs) then go out of the I-formation or put seven guys on the line on first and second down at times. If Whaley can run, it will set up play action. Right now play action is not fooling anyone.

3. Other guys besides Decker - We need to keeep getting other guys involved in the offense. Guys like Hayo, Gray, Green, Stoudlemire, maybe Allen.

4. Keep Gray open as a option at QB. I like Weber and he has been a warrior but sometimes I think we need to put Gray in there for a series or two and see what he can do. Gray does give you more mobility back there with the weak o-line. I'm not saying rotating qbs but let's see what Grey can do and if he does well then keep our options open.

You could go back to the spread. Or hire a new offensive coordinator. Or go back to the power running game and mix in the spread. Or...........

or........... play Wofford and not have anything to correct. Wisco looked like a team to be reckoned with that first quarter yesterday :). I was kind of embarrassed for both teams, Wofford had no business stepping onto a B10 football field. They looked like a JV team playing the Varsity, and Wisconsin was going turnover for turnover against them the first quarter..... glad to see they could put some breathing room in between them by the end.

Give it a rest on the RBs.

I am sorry people but all the hammering the RBs are taking right now is a joke. When the holes are open we have seen these guys hit them. Eskridge and Bennett have made some nice runs this year already but frankly they cant run through walls and neither can other RBs. The offensive line isnt opening up any holes to run through. Sure maybe if our RBs could fly we would see a big improvement in the running game but until the line starts opening the holes the running game is screwed. The key to every running game no matter who the running backs are is the line. If you have a line you will have a running game no matter who the back is. Does anyone really think Terry Jackson III was a great running back or was he simply a good talent playing behind a terrific line? I will be the first to say that a big time 4* running back would look great in the backfield running the ball but it wont mean anything if we dont block for them.

4. Keep Gray open as a option at QB. I like Weber and he has been a warrior but sometimes I think we need to put Gray in there for a series or two and see what he can do. Gray does give you more mobility back there with the weak o-line. I'm not saying rotating qbs but let's see what Grey can do and if he does well then keep our options open.

Maybe someone here can clear this up for me...it seems like when when we run a 'tricky' type play (like the Decker option yesterday, or when we line up in the wildcat) the ball is ending up in the backfield in the hands of someone like Decker or Stoudamire. Why do we do this? Why is Decker throwing touchdowns to Grey instead of vice-versa? I thought the point of the wildcat and things of that ilk was to keep the threat of a pass or a run until the last second. Why aren't Grey or even Pittman getting the ball in this situations? To be perfectly honest, I thought they were the reason we were working in plays like this in the first place. I absolutely cannot get my head around it...is it just that they still don't trust Grey with the football?

I agree with RedPoo. Scoring touchdowns suck!

I was trying to get an explanation for the strategy, not criticize the result. But good work bringing the conversation down to a more comfortable level for yourself.

Some of this is on the RBs as well - Bennett is way too tentative and needs to hit the hole harder. Eskridge does a slightly better job of this, but doesn't have any speed. Our offensive line needs to get off the ball quicker. They do not initiate the point of attack. They also need to stay lower and drive the defender. Air Force OL did a great job in this regard - they were smaller, but they stayed so low and drove with their legs. With his experience, I would hope Davis sees this too and will continue to work them to get better - even if that means demoting some players and playing smaller players who have better technique.

O-Line is not getting the job done. It's a new offense and (probably) a new blocking scheme. Coordination takes time.

"Adrian Peterson would get his yards" isn't an answer - there's only one of him & it shouldn't take that kind of talent to have a running game.

Give them some time & see how they develop.

O-Line is not getting the job done. It's a new offense and (probably) a new blocking scheme. Coordination takes time.

"Adrian Peterson would get his yards" isn't an answer - there's only one of him & it shouldn't take that kind of talent to have a running game.

Give them some time & see how they develop.

Davis, Wynn (injured), Tavale, Burris, Orton had about 40 starts between them last year. I think the only one to see the field thus far was Orton against Cal. Davis is going with a new look and certainly knows what and who he wants on the field.

This OL is inexperienced and my hope is by years end they will be more effective.

I am sorry people but all the hammering the RBs are taking right now is a joke. When the holes are open we have seen these guys hit them. Eskridge and Bennett have made some nice runs this year already but frankly they cant run through walls and neither can other RBs. The offensive line isnt opening up any holes to run through. Sure maybe if our RBs could fly we would see a big improvement in the running game but until the line starts opening the holes the running game is screwed. The key to every running game no matter who the running backs are is the line. If you have a line you will have a running game no matter who the back is. Does anyone really think Terry Jackson III was a great running back or was he simply a good talent playing behind a terrific line? I will be the first to say that a big time 4* running back would look great in the backfield running the ball but it wont mean anything if we dont block for them.

Yeah I have to agree. Ill admit I've taken some shots at the RB's on here and it really isnt just to say its their fault.

It's hard to believe Eskridge got an offer from Nebraska. He is not a Big 10 back. Move him to safety.

Top Bottom