Tim Brewster

Sorry STP but if that was the case why did he want a job in the AD as a "Liason". Kill's exit sucked because of the reasons but let's not pretend he didn't bring a lot of it on himself. And part of his anger is he wasn't handed the reigns to be in charge of football. (IIRC)

On Brew, if anyone was upset he was fired they were not Gopher Football fans. I have no personal issue with the guy but he should have never even been mentioned for the job let alone have it. His firing was almost universally applauded.

I knew people who were upset that Brewster was HIRED (which you seem to be one of those folks), I do not know anyone who was upset when he was FIRED. Even Brew's biggest supporters flipped after the USD game.
I was kind of neutral on the Brewster hire. Though I liked Mason, I was thinking that he may have plateaued. I thought he (Brewster) should have been given a chance which he was.

I wasn't disagreeing with you (actually was agreeing and adding on to your point(s)). I was just stating that I think there are some lessons that the Regents on down still have not fully learned. With TV revenue, etc. I have trouble believing that creative minds at the "U" can't secure more funding for top notch assistants amongst other things.

IMO if anyone has a right to be pissed off it's Claeys way more than Jerry. Claeys absolutely had his name dragged through the mud in a totally unfair manner. Yet he has found a way to not trash the university both on his way out and many years later.
There isn’t an AD in the country who would’ve been allowed to keep Claeys with the way Claeys publicly was insubordinate to the university’s position. Claeys has no one to blame but himself.

There isn’t an AD in the country who would’ve been allowed to keep Claeys with the way Claeys publicly was insubordinate to the university’s position. Claeys has no one to blame but himself.
He was put in a bad spot, and he chose to support his players. I can't really hold that against him. He needed to be fired because he's not a B10 head coach, but the way it was handled by Coyle and friends was not right. TC will always have my respect and appreciation.

He was put in a bad spot, and he chose to support his players. I can't really hold that against him. He needed to be fired because he's not a B10 head coach, but the way it was handled by Coyle and friends was not right. TC will always have my respect and appreciation.
Disagree

Sorry STP but if that was the case why did he want a job in the AD as a "Liason". Kill's exit sucked because of the reasons but let's not pretend he didn't bring a lot of it on himself. And part of his anger is he wasn't handed the reigns to be in charge of football. (IIRC)

On Brew, if anyone was upset he was fired they were not Gopher Football fans. I have no personal issue with the guy but he should have never even been mentioned for the job let alone have it. His firing was almost universally applauded.
I stand down. You most likely know the situation much better than myself. I was really into supporting the program at a deeper level during the Mason era because life allowed me to. I stopped going to GLC events etc. because I couldn't anymore. By the time Kill came on board, I really only went to games and crashed other peoples tailgates.

Regarding Brewster, agreed. I think that many bought the whole Johnnys and Joes beats X's and O's deal. Even the best of the best recruiters would have had trouble recruiting players across the board that could simply out talent the rest of the BigTen conference.

I just wish we would learn that if we are going to hire a coach in training, we'd better have the resources to go very heavy on seasoned assistants, etc. Going cheap is often more expensive.

Regarding Brewster, agreed. I think that many bought the whole Johnnys and Joes beats X's and O's deal. Even the best of the best recruiters would have had trouble recruiting players across the board that could simply out talent the rest of the BigTen conference.

I just wish we would learn that if we are going to hire a coach in training, we'd better have the resources to go very heavy on seasoned assistants, etc. Going cheap is often more expensive.
I liked the coaches Brew hired...problem is he didn't and that was his biggest flaw. If he had kept Dunbar around a few years I think he could have built something.

Brewster had the right idea...the fanbase needed someone who was juicing them up. I love Glen Mason (I was a student during much of his success) but he was never one to really rile up the troops. When the fans grew apathetic because of his bad losses he had no way to combat that. Brew was able to get people amped up. (I met him at the Fair after he was hired...the guy could sell)

By the end though it was obvious he was in way over his head. He had no vision for the team, no formula. He switched offenses multiple times and he had no ability to adapt. He kind of reminded me of Mike Tice...when the team is rolling they can be tough to beat but once the momentum shifts its over. A good, consistent staff can help weather the storm.

That was what made Kill so attractive, his coaches stayed. They knew each other so well they didn't need worry about anything they were all on the same page. Kill's Achilles Heel was that he never knew how to step back, he had to control everything. (not an uncommon trait in head coaches) That caused his health issues to be exasperated. It is one thing to be the CEO at Northern Illinois, it is another at a Big Ten school. When that finally caught up with him his ego wrote checks his body couldn't cash and he burned every bridge he had. I can understand his taking the "culture" deal as a shot in the moment...but he has been a coach long enough to know the score. It was just crappy to watch because I honestly loved the guy.

Top Bottom