Tim Brewster to join the Mississippi State coaching staff as WR Coach

Why don't we just all agree that Brewster is the anti-christ, creator of world wide famine, lead instigator of a plot to destroy the University of Minnesota, thee mastermind of 911, etc, etc..... and get it over with.

Go Coach Kill, Go Gophers!!!

anti-christ is a little far-fetched. A highfalutin, blowhard, used-car salesman who suffers from a bad case of Foot-in-mouth disease he is. :D

...a highfalutin, blowhard, used-car salesman who suffers from a bad case of Foot-in-mouth disease he is. :D

Can't argue with you, gopherinpain.

Reading thru these 7 pages brings back...ahem...a bunch of memories (mostly bad), which had been left dormant. I know for a fact Joel Maturi was NOT amused by the Brew publicizing his "overall coaching record." Wonder if Penn State's Bill O'Brien might be tempted to do the same. I doubt it, as I believe he has too much class to do such a thing.

Just out of curiosity, how many of Brewster's Gopher recruits have been (or will be) invited to the NFL Combine in Indianapolis?
And how well have the Longhorns recruited since the Brew left Austin?

Can't argue with you, gopherinpain.

Reading thru these 7 pages brings back...ahem...a bunch of memories (mostly bad), which had been left dormant. I know for a fact Joel Maturi was NOT amused by the Brew publicizing his "overall coaching record." Wonder if Penn State's Bill O'Brien might be tempted to do the same. I doubt it, as I believe he has too much class to do such a thing.

Just out of curiosity, how many of Brewster's Gopher recruits have been (or will be) invited to the NFL Combine in Indianapolis?
And how well have the Longhorns recruited since the Brew left Austin?

The last couple years have been the worst in Austin since before Mack Brown took over (6-11 Big XII). Within the Longhorn community, he is really popular and is often cited amongst them as part of the reason why they've lost some key recruiting battles (that have led to a drop in talent) on these teams.

The last couple years have been the worst in Austin since before Mack Brown took over (6-11 Big XII). Within the Longhorn community, he is really popular and is often cited amongst them as part of the reason why they've lost some key recruiting battles (that have led to a drop in talent) on these teams.

Huh?????????? Texas has been losing key recruiting battles?? When??? To whom??

Brewster left Austin in 2001.

Rivals maintains recruiting records back to 2002.

Let's have a look...

In six of the past seven years, Texas has finished in the Top 5 nationally in recruiting...

**#2 in 2012
**#3 in 2011
**#3 in 2010
**#5 in 2009
**#5 in 2007
**#5 in 2006

Texas finished with the best recruiting class in the nation once in the past decade:

**#1 in 2002

According to you, Bob_loblaw, Texas must have been quite the recruiting juggernaut if they've been sliding appreciably since the Brew left in 2001.:confused:

Huh?????????? Texas has been losing key recruiting battles?? When??? To whom??

Brewster left Austin in 2001.

Rivals maintains recruiting records back to 2002.

Let's have a look...

In six of the past seven years, Texas has finished in the Top 5 nationally in recruiting...

**#2 in 2012
**#3 in 2011
**#3 in 2010
**#5 in 2009
**#5 in 2007
**#5 in 2006

Texas finished with the best recruiting class in the nation once in the past decade:

**#1 in 2002

According to you, Bob_loblaw, Texas must have been quite the recruiting juggernaut if they've been sliding appreciably since the Brew left in 2001.:confused:

You don't read very carefully, I said "within the Longhorn community" and "he is often cited". So it's not "according to me", it's according to THEM.

I didn't say that I believed it, but a lot of people in Texas give Brew credit for helping to build their most dominant teams. If you're confused on these things, you can always use google yourself, but I'll do it for you.

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/archive/index.php/t-74424.html

There is a thread from their "Gopherhole" around the time when Brew was canned. It's titled "Tim Brewster PLz Come to Texas Again!"

Some of the posts:
"he's earned a lifetime job in my books"
"I would replace any offensive coach or any combo of offenses coaches to get him back here"
"Asking Tim Brewster to come back as a position coach would be a huge get"

There are about 20 replies in that thread and 15 of them are completely wanting Brew back, a couple are from a MN guy bashing brew, and a couple seem disinterested.

There are about 5 threads going on at the time of the Purdue game and right after Brew was fired and people are literally cheering for Purdue so they can get Brew back and it's followed by people begging for him to return to Austin.

So according to people in Austin who think they've lost some key recruiting battles over the last few years, many of them believe that Brew would change that trend.

I have no idea how true it is, I don't follow Texas recruiting. However, I don't think they have any issue with always being in the top 5 in recruiting rankings, it's about getting every single player they want. Fans of those kinds of programs are greedy like that.

So again, I have no idea if there is any validity in their opinions and I am fully aware that it might be a product of their last couple bad years, but many Longhorns' fans are still big fans of Brew.

Maybe a dozen or so gullible Longhorn fans bought the Brew's hogwash??:rolleyes:

But the evidence is in, Bob_Loblaw:

1. Texas recruited well when the Brew was down there...and they've recruited every bit as well, if not better, since he left in 2001...

2. The Brew recruited OK while in dinkytown, but not appreciably better than Mase before him, or Jerry Kill since...

The one thing Brew had us focusing on was his ability to reel in the big fish...well, I will wait to see how many of his Gopher recruits (i.e. the electrifying Harold Howell) get an invite to Indy.
But with the evidence presented so far, it is clear the Brew oversold himself to the Minnesota masses in a borderline criminal way.
He couldn't recruit...he couldn't coach...he wasn't "one of us"...glad he's in Starkville...good riddance:cool:

Maybe a dozen or so gullible Longhorn fans bought the Brew's hogwash??:rolleyes:

1. Texas recruited well when the Brew was down there...and they've recruited every bit as well, if not better, since he left in 2001...

2. The Brew recruited OK while in dinkytown, but not appreciably better than Mase before him, or Jerry Kill since...

The one thing Brew had us focusing on was his ability to reel in the big fish...well, I will wait to see how many of his Gopher recruits (i.e. the electrifying Harold Howell) get an invite to Indy.
But with the evidence presented so far, it is clear the Brew oversold himself to the Minnesota masses in a borderline criminal way.
He couldn't recruit...he couldn't coach...he wasn't "one of us"...glad he's in Starkville...good riddance:cool:

Why are you trying to convince me? I simply said what they think. It's like if I said that the Manson Family thought that if they killed a bunch of people in LA, it would start a race war and bring on the apocolypse and you responded to me by showing me reasons why that is absurd.

I was simply speaking to the tone of what I've heard from most of die hard Longhorns' fans. I wasn't speaking to the validity of their belief. If you have a problem with their belief, log on to their site and talk about it amongst them.

As far as the "dozens" comment, well, that's a bizarre way to look at that thread. It's a somewhat random sample of Longhorn die hards, if we started a thread about Brew and 30 people ripped on him out of 35 people in a thread, I don't think you'd come to the conclusion that just 30 Gopher fans disliked Brew. It's a sample of the larger population.

OK, on to the logical fallacy of your argument.

I'll start off by saying that I don't think it matters if Brew is in Austin, I think they'd always recruit really well. That said, I don't follow it closely enough to know about the key recruiting battles that some of them claim Brew could have helped on. I'm with you though, I doubt their classes would have been much better with Brew.

First, you claim that they've recruited better since Brew left than they recruited with Brew there. That's fine, the recruiting rankings show that exact thought.
However, Texas (with players who were recruited after Brew left) has been worse than they were while playing with players who were brought in while Brew was the coach. With players brought in while Brew was there, they won a Nat'l Championship. Texas was more succesful from 2000 - 2005 (teams dominated with players recruited while Brew was there) than they were before or after.
Therefore, if you judge recruiting by the product on the field, you're wrong. Those teams were better recruited than they've been since.

However, since you argue that recruiting is as good if not better now, you have to be using the first criteria to judge recruiting (rankings).

Now, oddly, you have flipped that criteria in your second bit of "evidence". You are now arguing that Brew didn't outrecruit Mason and Kill by much. That's a completely valid argument, but it's using the second criteria of judging recruiting (on field results).

It's illogical to use a different standard for judging different things to prove your point.

Either you judge recruiting by the recruiting rankings, and therefore Brew was a considerably better recruiter than Mason or Kill.

OR

You judge recruiting by the on-field results, in which case Texas recruited much better with Brew than without him.

I am bored with this. Let's talk about Mase's stellar recruiting classes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Brewster's first year in 2007 at various times he was forced to play six (6) true freshman and three (3) red shirt freshman who each were in the starting line-up for a minimum of 5 games and as many as 12 games. It should be understood by everyone that 7 of the 9 freshman players who had never before been on a college football field were in the starting line-up at one of the following positions during 2007:

- Quarterback
- Running Back
- Wide Receiver
- Defensive Back

In addition, Brewster played 11 sophomores who each started at least 1 game for the Gophers in 2007. And it is particularly interesting to focus on Mason's 2005 recruiting class and its contribution to the 2007 Gopher season.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gopher football players who started at least one game during the 2007 season (Brewster's first year when he was given all of three weeks to put together a coaching staff and recruit his first class):

2003 Recruits (out of 27)

- Neel Allen (RS Sr) (3 games)
- Tony Brinkhaus (RS Sr) (12 games)
- Jamal Harris (RS Sr) (8 games)
- Amir Pinnix (RS Sr) (4 games)
- John Shevlin (RS Sr) (9 games)
- Steve Shidell (RS Sr) (1 game)
- Desi Steib (RS Sr) (5 games)
- Justin Valentine (RS Sr) (1 game)
- Ernie Wheelright (RS Sr) (12 games)

2004 Recruits (out of 26)

- Dominique Barber (Sr) (12 games)
- Matt DeGeest (RS Jr) (7 games)
- Deon Hightower (RS Jr) (8 games)
- Jack Simmons (RS Jr) (7 games)
- Willie VanDeSteeg (RS Jr) (6 games)

*Transfers/Walk-ons

- Todd Meisel (Sr) (12 games)
- Mike Sherels (Sr) (7 games)

2005 Recruits (out of 20)

- Steve Davis (Jr) (8 games)
- Eric Decker (RS So) (12 games)
- Ryan Ruckdashel (RS So) (2 games)
- Ned Tavale (RS So) (7 games)
- Jay Thomas (RS So) (1 game)

*Transfers/Walk-ons

- Kevin Manion (Jr) (3 games)
- Nick Tow-Arnett (RS So) (2 games)
- Jeff Tow-Arnett (RS So) (1 game)

2006 Recruits (out of 26)

- Dominic Alford (RS Fr) (5 games)
- Garrett Brown (So) (3 games)
- D.J. Burris (RS Fr) (11 games)
- Lee Campbell (So) (12 games)
- Adam Weber (RS Fr) (12 games)

*Transfers/Walk-Ons

- Duran Cooley (Jr) (4 games)
- Ray Henderson (So) (1 game)
- Marcus Sherels (So) (1 game)

2007 Recruits (out of 24)

- Duane Bennett (Fr) (7 games)
- Ryan Collado (Fr) (9 games)
- Tray Herndon (Fr) (7 games)
- Ralph Spry (Fr) (6 games)
- Kyle Theret (Fr) (6 games)
- Curtis Thomas Fr) (5 games)

*Transfers/Walk-ons

- Eric Small (So) (6 games)
- D. Onwuachi (So) (5 games)

I wish Brewster luck irregardless of what happened at Minny... I think he really wanted to take Gopher Football to the next level, just couldn't...

This doesn't necessarily mean that Brewster wasn't a good recruiter. Perhaps Texas was able to hire another good recruiter.

His reputation as a good recruiter wasn't something that Brewster made up on his own. He wasn't a good head coach, but that doesn't in any way resemble criminal, even metaphorically.

Top Bottom