This Team

RememberMurray

Reaction score
This team can beat you running the ball; they have a big, powerful offensive line and a deep, talented stable of running backs.

This team can beat you throwing the ball; they have a smart, tough winner at QB and he is throwing to a deep, talented stable of receivers.

This team can beat you with a scrappy defense. They have an excellent mix of veterans and young players. They are tenacious and hard-hitting. They cover well. They are having fun out there.

This team is well-coached.

This team could do some great things this season.

Yeah, but we only beat SDSU by seven and Georgia Southern by three. My understanding is that means we cannot beat Big Ten teams.

This team can beat you running the ball; they have a big, powerful offensive line and a deep, talented stable of running backs.

This team can beat you throwing the ball; they have a smart, tough winner at QB and he is throwing to a deep, talented stable of receivers.

This team can beat you with a scrappy defense. They have an excellent mix of veterans and young players. They are tenacious and hard-hitting. They cover well. They are having fun out there.

This team is well-coached.

This team could do some great things this season.

I agree with all of this, but I don't think they have the overall talent (yet) to do those great things. I think they'll win enough to have what should be considered a really really good season, but I don't think they get past 9 wins. I'd be absolutely delighted with a 9-3 record going to a bowl game. 8-4 would still be good.

I'm enjoying the ride though! Beating Nebraska next week would be a really really good step.

I agree with all of this, but I don't think they have the overall talent (yet) to do those great things. I think they'll win enough to have what should be considered a really really good season, but I don't think they get past 9 wins. I'd be absolutely delighted with a 9-3 record going to a bowl game. 8-4 would still be good.

I'm enjoying the ride though! Beating Nebraska next week would be a really really good step.

Well... they are currently 5-0.

To end up 9-3, they'd have to go 4-3 the rest of the way.

To end up 8-4, they'd have to finish 3-4 in their last 7 games.

I really can't see this team losing 4 of their last 7 games. They just seem too solid to me. Of course, if they have major injuries, all bets are off. I mean, if Tanner Morgan went down, then... yikes.

Looking at our remaining schedule I think 10 wins is still a possibility this season as only Wisconsin and Penn State look really tough. That said we are inconsistent enough that we will most likely drop a game or two that we shouldn't and Big Ten road games are always a challenge. 8-9 regular season wins and hopefully a bowl win seems pretty likely at this point. That would definitely be a step in the right direction and hopefully be a good launching point to 2020 where the vast majority of the team returns again.

Looking at our remaining schedule I think 10 wins is still a possibility this season as only Wisconsin and Penn State look really tough. That said we are inconsistent enough that we will most likely drop a game or two that we shouldn't and Big Ten road games are always a challenge. 8-9 regular season wins and hopefully a bowl win seems pretty likely at this point. That would definitely be a step in the right direction and hopefully be a good launching point to 2020 where the vast majority of the team returns again.

Trust me, I hope I'm dead wrong. But they'll be underdogs in the last 4, I'm almost certain. The only upside right now, compared to a month ago, is that Northwestern looks to be struggling right now. I actually think they could go in there an win later this year.

But I can't say for sure that they'll beat Nebraska next week (I think/hope they will) and who knows what Maryland team comes to TCF a few weeks later; the one that lost to PSU 59-0 or the one that beat Ruttgers 48-7 and Syracuse 63-20.

Totally agree, the 8-9 regular wins and a bowl win would be a BIG springboard to next year, when I DO think they'll have the talent to do some damage, although with a more difficult schedule it seems.

Yeah, but we only beat SDSU by seven and Georgia Southern by three. My understanding is that means we cannot beat Big Ten teams.

This would be such a great post if only someone, anyone, had said such things. But please, continue.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would be such a great post if only someone, anyone, had said such things. But please, continue.....

I took it as sarcasm, but who knows he might have been serious.

Trust me, I hope I'm dead wrong. But they'll be underdogs in the last 4, I'm almost certain. The only upside right now, compared to a month ago, is that Northwestern looks to be struggling right now. I actually think they could go in there an win later this year.

But I can't say for sure that they'll beat Nebraska next week (I think/hope they will) and who knows what Maryland team comes to TCF a few weeks later; the one that lost to PSU 59-0 or the one that beat Ruttgers 48-7 and Syracuse 63-20.

Totally agree, the 8-9 regular wins and a bowl win would be a BIG springboard to next year, when I DO think they'll have the talent to do some damage, although with a more difficult schedule it seems.

Nah... there's no way the Gophers will be underdogs to Northwestern. Absolutely not going to happen.

Nah... there's no way the Gophers will be underdogs to Northwestern. Absolutely not going to happen.

Its not that hard to imagine if we were to lose to Nebraska, Maryland, Penn State, and Iowa. But if we go 8-0 and then lose our next two I'd agree that we would be favored against the cats

I took it as sarcasm, but who knows he might have been serious.

I’ve never understood sarcasm. The Devil’s orgasm IMO.

But you never believed that did you? In the face of the onslaught of naysayers after those games, you stood up against the unknowing hordes and held back them back with your confidence and reason. Bravo sir.

We are not in a position to take any team for granted but these next 3 are all very winnable. Agree that we will be an underdog in at least 3 of our last 4 and probably a pretty sizable underdog against Penn State and Wisconsin.

Northwestern looks very beatable and I have yet to be all that impressed by Iowa as well. Both seem solid on defense but their offenses are nothing special. Of course we get them both on the road which ups the degree of difficulty.

It feels like we are on the verge of something special, agree that it might not happen this year but for the first time in a while it seems like we are truly moving in the right direction to take that next step and become legit contenders in the BIG.

The next group of three are pivotal - Nebraska (H), Rutgers (A), and Maryland (H). If they can put Ws against all three, you have to believe that the Gophers have arrived at that pinnacle where there is limitless possibilities.

The key is they have to stay healthy. The Offensive show signs of getting better and better however slight game after game. Tanner Morgan and the Offensive Line need to stay healthy.

The final group of four - Penn State (H), Iowa (A), Northwestern (A), and Wisconsin (H), I can see possibility of upsets in the making. It is hard to tell how good NW will be by the time they face them. It is all about timing and momentum.

Trust me, I hope I'm dead wrong. But they'll be underdogs in the last 4, I'm almost certain.

Right now, I wouldn't expect them to be underdogs vs. Northwestern and they are one of the last 4. I agree on the remaining 3.

I agree they will be under dogs in the last four games. Iowa and Northwestern are both very difficult games. Hell, every team we've played with the EXCEPTION of Illinois have been difficult. Doesn't mean they will lose those games, just means they'll be difficult. I'm getting use to it. Or should it be used?

9-2 in the last 11 games.

8-1 in the last 9.

Even with some “unimpressive” wins mixed in, that’s pretty solid.

We are not in a position to take any team for granted but these next 3 are all very winnable. Agree that we will be an underdog in at least 3 of our last 4 and probably a pretty sizable underdog against Penn State and Wisconsin.

Northwestern looks very beatable and I have yet to be all that impressed by Iowa as well. Both seem solid on defense but their offenses are nothing special. Of course we get them both on the road which ups the degree of difficulty.

It feels like we are on the verge of something special, agree that it might not happen this year but for the first time in a while it seems like we are truly moving in the right direction to take that next step and become legit contenders in the BIG.

What scares me a little bit is that they have not remotely played an explosive offense yet that was close to hitting on all cylinders. The defense still has a lot of work to do. Getting better, and winning while they do it, but the defense still has a ways to go. On offense, I think they are playing some really good football. This team can move the ball and score against probably any team they'll play.

Also, I haven't been this nervous about the kicking game in many, many years. It always seemed like they had a pretty solid kicker going back quite a long ways. Lantz is doing okay, but still really inexperienced, and the continued kicking the ball out of bounds on kickoffs is just nuts. Not much of an excuse for that.

What scares me a little bit is that they have not remotely played an explosive offense yet that was close to hitting on all cylinders. The defense still has a lot of work to do. Getting better, and winning while they do it, but the defense still has a ways to go. On offense, I think they are playing some really good football. This team can move the ball and score against probably any team they'll play.

Also, I haven't been this nervous about the kicking game in many, many years. It always seemed like they had a pretty solid kicker going back quite a long ways. Lantz is doing okay, but still really inexperienced, and the continued kicking the ball out of bounds on kickoffs is just nuts. Not much of an excuse for that.

Agree that we have not played an explosive offense that was clicking on all cylinders yet but coming into this game Illinois had topped 30 in every game they had played so far this year. They got 3 on our defense. Their QB going down didn't help them but even before he went out it didn't feel like their offense was going to pose a massive threat to us.

Lots of room for improvement but I still feel like the defense is playing better then people are giving them credit for overall.

The exciting part is I still don't feel like our offense has hit their top gear yet. This was the first game where the running game kicked things into high gear but we struggled some in the passing game with dropped passes.

I do agree that the kicking game in general is a bit of a concern but so far has not cost us.

Being 5-0 right now isn't shocking given who we have played but as has been pointed out, getting to 5-0 is not something that has been commonplace around here as it has only happened a few times in the past few decades.

We are Minnesota fans so the natural reaction is to not let ourselves get too excited because we have seen it all blow up too many times in the past whenever the team has shown a glimmer of hope. This season could certainly still go that route but I really feel like we are on the verge of finally getting into the conference mix. 2020 could be the year where we truly bust out in a big way....but if the team can continue to find a way to win we could be in line for a great 2019 as well.

The way we finished last year was different, what we are seeing so far this year is different....this is not business as usual in regards to Gopher football and that is a good thing....time to stop just being a good program and become a great one......and we may very well finally be seeing that happen....

The next group of three are pivotal - Nebraska (H), Rutgers (A), and Maryland (H). If they can put Ws against all three, you have to believe that the Gophers have arrived at that pinnacle where there is limitless possibilities.

I don't think you can say this team has arrived at a pinnacle if they've beaten rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska, Illinois, and Purdue. Nebraska is the only team out of the bunch with a pulse that has the potential to finish their season with a winning record.

I agree they will be under dogs in the last four games. Iowa and Northwestern are both very difficult games. Hell, every team we've played with the EXCEPTION of Illinois have been difficult. Doesn't mean they will lose those games, just means they'll be difficult. I'm getting use to it. Or should it be used?

"Very difficult games".... Have you watched Northwestern this year... or Iowa, for that matter? I have to say I'm just not that impressed with either of them. Iowa had 1 net yard rushing yesterday, and allowed many, many sacks. Northwestern couldn't move the ball much and only scored 10 points against a very mediocre (at best) Nebraska defense.

I'm just not as sold on the quality of our upcoming opponents as some here are.

Last edited:

As of today, we would probably be favored in 4 remaining games (Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland,NW) and dogs in 3 (Penn St, Iowa, Wisky). My guess would be we lose one that we’re favored in and win one where we are an underdog.

But you never believed that did you? In the face of the onslaught of naysayers after those games, you stood up against the unknowing hordes and held back them back with your confidence and reason. Bravo sir.

And you were the credulous skeptic the whole time. Bravo for your bravery in questioning the team.

Illinois has been pretty good offensively. Corbin is a legit threat as we saw last year and I believe they scored 40 vs Nebraska a few weeks ago. If we are trying to put our opponents offenses in the explosive category, Penn St and Wisky may be the only two that qualify all year.

Top Bottom