Think Gray will play again as QB?

CWCWCW

Reaction score
I know that Gray is officially listed as the #2 quarterback behind Weber. I would suspect that if Weber got hurt or struggled a lot in the next three games, Gray would be our quarterback.
I think it's interesting in the last couple of weeks what has been said about Gray. Dave Mona stated he thought Gray would be All Big 10, and even Brewster has stated that Gray is going to be an excellent wide receiver.
Here is what I think may happen. If everything goes okay with Weber prior to the Big 10 season, I predict Brewster states that Gray is now a full time wide receiver. The reasoning is that he'll need the reps to focus on his position in practice. Of course, this means that Brewster must have some confidence in Alipate, which I have no idea if that is true. Time will tell.

If he really is a top 10 NFL draft pick type of WR (crabtree, calvin johnson, etc.) I doubt he will ever play QB again. It will be fun to see how he matches up against the SD defensive backs.

MarQueis is the #2 QB...

...which means, he's the #2 QB.;) I think that's pretty clear. Besides Weber, he has the most experience under center on the team, so he should be.

Mona's prediction was pretty ridiculous IMO, which is not to say Gray doesn't have the talent to be an All-Big Ten WR (I think he does), but rather that I just don't think he'll be on the field at WR enough to accumulate those kind of numbers. Whether or not Gray is the starting QB next year comes down to the competition with Alipate (presuming there is one).

My opinion is that Gray will be our starting QB for 2011 and 2012, with Alipate pushing him hard in camp both seasons.

Nope. Sorry. Gray's future may still be as a WR, even in college, but there is zero chance he is moved from #2 QB this year. Alipate isn't close to being ready, and we're in deep trouble if we have to rely on him taking meaningful snaps this year.

If the switch happens, it will be during 2011 spring practices.

This situation isn't unique in college football.
Guys like Siller for Purdue, Nichol for MSU, McGhee for IL, and Kerry Meier for Kansas have all played WR and QB recently.

It's going to come down to what gives the team it's best chance to win. Right now Weber is adequate enough to let Gray play another position.
I think Gray will play WR this year, have a nice not spectacular year and start at QB from next spring going forward.

I'm really hoping we get up big this saturday and he gets a half to play QB.

Wasn't Michael Robinson a RB, QB, WR for most of his time at PSU until he was full time QB is SR year? Someone with a fresher memory might help here.

Wasn't Michael Robinson a RB, QB, WR for most of his time at PSU until he was full time QB is SR year? Someone with a fresher memory might help here.

Your memory is correct. I think we'll see Gray at QB this weekend perhaps for the entire second half.

I'd start having Gray taking reps with the recievers full time. Brewster is sold on Weber and Weber doesn't get hurt often. I know that puts us in a difficult situation at number two qurterback but at times you need to take risks.

If Gray is as talented as people say he is at reciever then put him there full time and get him a lot of reps. I was suprised how much we saw him on the field against MTSU as a receiver.

I'd keep Gray at receiver full-time. Gray and Alipate can duke it out in the Spring for starting quarterback. If Gray has a great year at reciever this year then keep him at receiver and have Alipate be the starting quarterback next year.

Top Bottom