Theret and Alford Still Suspended

KoolAid

Red Drank Brewmaster
Reaction score
From the presser today (courtesy of Doogie)

Big deal? Back for the USC game?

I think Theret needs reps now.

theret needs reps...

as in representation?

Hopefully... Gophs 31-SoDak 10! (due to one long return putting them in scoring position)

I'm alright with it for this week. I think the young guys Manuel/Lewis/Olson getting more reps vs SD is more important than the Senior "Leaders". Getting Theret and/or Royston back by the Big Ten season is a must though.

There has to be more to the Theret story than just a DWI. I fully understand how serious a DWI is, but this has gone on forever and it seems like Tinsely basically got a slap on the wrist for a similar offense. I just find it odd.

There has to be more to the Theret story than just a DWI. I fully understand how serious a DWI is, but this has gone on forever and it seems like Tinsely basically got a slap on the wrist for a similar offense. I just find it odd.

Agreed. I wonder what's going on here. Also, the Gophers are going to need Theret, Alford, and Royston for the USC game. Anyone have any idea if that is likely to happen?

Anything else from the press conference today?

I assume we would have heard

Makes me wonder if Brewster is making an example of Theret because he's a senior and should have been a captain on this team. Theret should have unquestionably been the leader of this young defense and for him to get tagged in an off-field legal issue brings his leadership ability into question.

Someone had speculated that maybe it has something to do with Brewster and Theret's personal relationship. This is a kid who is probably pretty close with the entire Brewster family. Maybe Brew knows the kid's parents or something.

I don't think Theret and Tinsley should have beeen treated any differently, but who knows.

Someone had speculated that maybe it has something to do with Brewster and Theret's personal relationship. This is a kid who is probably pretty close with the entire Brewster family. Maybe Brew knows the kid's parents or something.

I don't think Theret and Tinsley should have beeen treated any differently, but who knows.

I am glad Brewster is holding him out for two games -- it is more than just a slap on the wrist (although it is just USD). Wasn't he a captain last year/supposed to be a captain this year?

Not sure what is going on here with Theret either. I do recall several months ago, perhaps around the spring ball time period, during an interview Brew was questioned about Therets suspension and he replied "he (Theret) needs to start acting like a senior". I remember by the tone of Brews voice that it left me with the impression that there was more to the story then the general public knows ?
Anyway I hope we see Theret during the USC game, he needs the game reps to prepare for the Big 10 games.

I have a feeling that a part of Brewsters annual review with Maturi was a focus on these off field problems. I think maybe Brewster has committed himself as the ultimate leader of this team to be a little tougher. It's why we might see a difference between how Theret has been treated versus past situations.

Think about the huge price the Gophers have paid for these alcohol related problems. Whaley gone, Maresh gone, leader in the Fulmer cup. It's been the only hit against the off field portion in Brewsters program. Just my guess.

I have a feeling that a part of Brewsters annual review with Maturi was a focus on these off field problems. I think maybe Brewster has committed himself as the ultimate leader of this team to be a little tougher. It's why we might see a difference between how Theret has been treated versus past situations.

Think about the huge price the Gophers have paid for these alcohol related problems. Whaley gone, Maresh gone, leader in the Fulmer cup. It's been the only hit against the off field portion in Brewsters program. Just my guess.

I had the same thought myself. It's early, but I'm hopeful that we haven't heard of any overt problems for several months (I understand it's been summer, so let's knock on wood...). I hope you're thought is correct. It could be worth at least one victory this year if the guys can stay in line.

I had e-mailed Coach Brewster before the season opener to wish the team and coaches good luck this year and to thank him for bringing back some excitement and hope for the future of OUR program.

Anyway, one line in particular stuck out that he wrote back, "We have worked extremely hard and we are building a program to be proud of both on and off the field."

I would say your guess is pretty solid!

Sadly, we only took 3rd place in the Fulmer Cup. Georgia took the gold while Mizzou took the silver.

Bronze is something we can build on!

I would be shocked if Theret and Alford are not back by the USC game. I know someone like Sir Patrick will criticize Brewster for bringing those guys back just in time for the USC game but a two game suspension is a standard one.

Top Bottom