The timeout and replay

If you're a conspiracy theorist, those last few minutes of game play provided quite a bit of fodder.
  • Incompletion overturned on the Nebraska 4th down
  • Mo's first down overturned
  • Minnesota's timeout not returned and clock remains stopped after the overturn
  • After the long Nebraska pass, they complete a short one. WR forward momentum clearly stopped in bounds, but ref stops the clock after he goes out of bounds 2 yards back
  • 2nd down, the clock NEVER runs. An incompletion and 0 seconds wind off.
I was 100% convinced there would be some BS flag on 4th down to keep the drive going.

That was a horrible reversal and it joins two other horrible reversals that cost the Gophers dearly, in recent memory.

Mitch Leidner getting his chin put through the back of his helmet on a clear targeting by Ohio state, having it called correctly on the field, and then having it mysteriously overturned on review (allowing a pick 6 to stand) was very fishy. But the B1G apology the following Monday made it all better.

2018 Gophers come up with a critical stop vs Ohio state, only to have the spot of the ball overturned on review was equally bad.

Last year another review negates an OSU targeting. At least this one wasn’t vs Ohio State and at least the Gophers went on to win despite it this time. But it was a horrible reversal.

Supposedly, reversals only happen when the evidence is clear the initial call was wrong.

Both reversals which went Nebraska's way were questionable. On the catch, they gave the Nebraska receiver credit from the moment the ball hit his hands; IMO, his foot was off the ground by the time he clearly controlled the ball.

On the 3rd down, Mo was rolling over the Nebraska defender, not on the ground. By the time his back hit the ball was past the line to gain.

IMO, replay officials routinely ignore the standard they're supposed to employ in making reviews, they routinely treat the original call as irrelevant.

I have no problem with the catch, I think we all would have been screaming it was a catch if it was a Gopher who made it. I can see why the officials overturned that one...

The first down reversal was trash though. I can see marking him inches short because you can't see where the ball was in real time, but upon review there is no way you can take the call on the field and reverse it. Losing a TO over it and the clock staying stopped was also just off.

I am not a guy that harps of refs, but they botched that.

Screenshot_20221106-162405_Gallery.jpg

He was short...not half a yard short but short. His ass is on the ground and the ball is not even to that hash when the marker is at the far end of the hash.

Top Bottom