The Tim Brewster comparisons need to stop

I can understand being let down, but come on. Coach Johnson doesn't strike me as a blowhard like Brewster was. I will admit I wanted someone different, but I will support the new coach.
The biggest reason they should stop is because Brewster was a bonafide top notch recruiter (at multiple stops).

they should pick a women’s sport to revamp too and hire the female version of Brew as well

The situation feels similar. They obviously are not similar people.

Both coaches were (presumably) hired cheap because they had no head coaching experience. They were chosen because it was expected they would be good recruiters at a time when the programs were being criticized for not recruiting good enough. If they happen to show they can actually succeed at being a head coach, then all the better! Johnson recruited Coffee, Brewster recruited Vince Young. Both are very much high risk, high reward. I will be cheering hard for Johnson; hopefully he works out better than Brew.

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The University of Minnesota is cutting four of its men's sports programs — gymnastics, tennis, basketball and indoor track — partly due to budget deficit made worse by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Tim Brewster was a known commodity as a great recruiter who had turn down the Iowa State job the year prior. He coached under Mack Brown and Mike Shanahan among others.

Hopefully Ben Johnson will be much better than Brewster, but Brewster actually had the better resume when he was hired and sadly so did Richard Pitino.

Brewster also was an assistant at Texas, a big time program with lots of success when he was there. Johnson has been an assistant at marginal programs.

So please, quit insulting Brewster and comparing him to Ben Johnson.

Brewster was a better recruiter. So you're right, Ben is not at his level when it comes to that.

Well, RP used up the Cheryl Littlejohn comparisons.

This hire is typical Minnesota mediocre ...be happy in the bottom tier but oh we are so nice?

Were going to the
Rose Bowl of basketball....
Given how scary good the Pac 12 was this weekend, I don't think the Big 10 wants anything to do with a "Rose Bowl of Basketball". Just ask Mich St and Iowa.

Top Bottom