The Perils of Groupthink-Our Coaching Staff

alphagopher

Reaction score
I'm sure all have heard of the danger to a group's well being when all keep telling themselves "all is fine, stay the course, all is well if we just keep doing what we are doing", etc. External or alternate views are ignored and shoved aside in favor of the status quo. The Vietnam conflict is a classic example of how this type of thinking manifests itself.

Okay-some levity. This coaching staff, I'm afraid, is suffering from this phenomenon. All of us morons saw weeks ago that Weber was regressing, and called for more play time for Gray. Nothing. All of us morons saw weeks ago that the team in general, was regressing. Nothing. All of us morons wondered how it was possible that a team with fairly decent talent cannot run the ball whatsoever, get any push up front from the Oline, continually drop interceptions, play deep cushions in the secondary, continually get beat deep and commit unbelievable amounts of penalties. No change. How can a team get worse as the year goes on when most teams get better? Should not at a minimum the players know the play book more than in weeks one or two?

This is not a good TEAM right now. In fact it is a quite POOR team. There is a good bit of talent that is just not translating to the field. Lack of preparation and lack of execution abound week in and week out. But, perplexingly, the staff stay the course. Seemingly no adjustments are being made at any key positions to mix things up, schemes look tired and inappropriate, and of course no change to the chemistry and dynamic with new blood--this is a lack of leadership, and groupthink.

It takes a lot of courage for Brew to bench Weber. But, it must be done. It is time to turn the page and move on. Weber is not the player to get us to where we all want the team to go. Great kid, but he just isn't the guy.

Iowa played a redshirt freshman yesterday against OSU and he played quite well. I'd say that is some seriously good coaching and gameplanning support-changing to suit the realities you are faced with... I don't think anyone believes the Vandenberg kid is more talented than Gray do they?

We have no chance at a win next week, unless some serious and major changes are made to the personnel we put on the field. Doing more of the same will not yield a different result. Rome is burning folks.

Top Bottom