"The only thing you can do to fight back is to work". Let's work, Gophers!!

Reaction score
"The only thing you can do to fight back is to work". Let's work, Gophers!!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-wiliamsqa020110&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Tubby Smith is a great coach and a good man. This season is far from over. Let’s get on a roll and start piling up the W’s.

A far less experienced coach and person compared to Tubby is Buzz Williams, head coach at Marquette… he is if anything too upfront and honest at times… but, can’t fault a guy for just coming out and being real. And the team has come through. Anyway, nice article / interview at Yahoo! Sports today – based on Minnesota’s current position, some of this might resonate with Gopher fans with respect to perseverance, everyone stepping up and being accountable, and just plain working hard.

I have been cursed with loving two programs that have had 'tough luck' both on and off the court this season... but, they both have a chance to make the tourney as of Feb 1.
----------
Excerpt (full link at top of post):

Q: You’ve lost five Big East games by a total of 11 points. So many teams would go in the tank after close losses like that. Why hasn’t that happened to your team?

A: I think it goes back to character. Maybe if I had been coaching longer than I have, or maybe if I was smarter, I’d have a different answer. But I think life is pretty simple. Sometimes we make it more complicated than it is. Any time you go through life and you go through a disappointment, it is hard to bounce back. The only way you can bounce back is if you believe in what you’re doing and you believe in the people you’re doing it with. The moral of the story is that it’s the character of your players.

Q: How much time have you had to spend talking to your players to keep their spirits up?

A: I probably should, but I’m not a big believer in Kumbaya meetings. I think you have Kumbaya meetings when you’re getting your tails whipped. I just don’t believe in that. The only thing you can do to fight back is to work. Make sure that you’re accountable in your work and efficient in your work. Make sure the things you’re working on are things you can utilize to not get your tails kicked. That’s all I know.

gw

It is ironic how similar your two teams, MN & MARQ, are positioned but I give the current tourney edge to your Eagles.

I still can not get used to that nickname, the Golden Eagles.

:)

OT Reply

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-wiliamsqa020110&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Tubby Smith is a great coach and a good man. This season is far from over. Let’s get on a roll and start piling up the W’s.

A far less experienced coach and person compared to Tubby is Buzz Williams, head coach at Marquette… he is if anything too upfront and honest at times… but, can’t fault a guy for just coming out and being real. And the team has come through. Anyway, nice article / interview at Yahoo! Sports today – based on Minnesota’s current position, some of this might resonate with Gopher fans with respect to perseverance, everyone stepping up and being accountable, and just plain working hard.

I have been cursed with loving two programs that have had 'tough luck' both on and off the court this season... but, they both have a chance to make the tourney as of Feb 1.
----------
Excerpt (full link at top of post):

Q: You’ve lost five Big East games by a total of 11 points. So many teams would go in the tank after close losses like that. Why hasn’t that happened to your team?

A: I think it goes back to character. Maybe if I had been coaching longer than I have, or maybe if I was smarter, I’d have a different answer. But I think life is pretty simple. Sometimes we make it more complicated than it is. Any time you go through life and you go through a disappointment, it is hard to bounce back. The only way you can bounce back is if you believe in what you’re doing and you believe in the people you’re doing it with. The moral of the story is that it’s the character of your players.

Q: How much time have you had to spend talking to your players to keep their spirits up?

A: I probably should, but I’m not a big believer in Kumbaya meetings. I think you have Kumbaya meetings when you’re getting your tails whipped. I just don’t believe in that. The only thing you can do to fight back is to work. Make sure that you’re accountable in your work and efficient in your work. Make sure the things you’re working on are things you can utilize to not get your tails kicked. That’s all I know.

PS to GW - Marq Prez Fr. Bob Wild taught me Latin in HS (Cincy St X in late 1960's). I give him grief about Marquette GOLD and GOLDEN EAGLES every time I see him at games or reunions.

PS to GW - Marq Prez Fr. Bob Wild taught me Latin in HS (Cincy St X in late 1960's). I give him grief about Marquette GOLD and GOLDEN EAGLES every time I see him at games or reunions.

That's awesome.. so he would have been... probably in his mid 20s then? Just a young pup.. I think St. Xavier was his first teaching gig?

I'm glad you give him grief about the name changes - it's well deserved!! It took me a long time to forgive Father DiUlio (I was in school at the time of the Warriors to GE's name change). The Gold debacle was utterly ridiculous. Nonetheless, Father Wild has always been nothing short of a cordial, kind man when I've seen him in public and he's done a lot of good for the University. Glad we have him.

Section201 said:
It is ironic how similar your two teams, MN & MARQ, are positioned but I give the current tourney edge to your Eagles.

I still can not get used to that nickname, the Golden Eagles.

I'm with you on both of those! It's interesting to hear some of the current student body.. some of the kids now say, 'well, I never really knew Marquette as the Warriors.. so it doesn't bother me... we're the Golden Eagles'.

PS-DePaul is playing some decent basketball as of late.. Wednesday at 6pm CT on ESPN2 is DePaul at Marquette... we owe them a little payback.

gw

Thanks for the heads up on the DePaul-Marquette game. I will try to catch that.

Ironically my high school's nickname was also the Warriors. They are now the Hopkins Royals.

Yes, that Hopkins.

:)

Top Bottom