The OL in the scrimmage

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
Has anyone heard how the OL looked at the scrimmage? There are a couple of posts on the Strib blog saying that they both looked bad. Wills and Carufel were singled out. This was mentioned to others by people who watched the scrimmage.

I know its early. But Davis has handed the starting spots to both Carufel and Wills in the offseason and it appears its theirs to lose. One can assume that Davis likes them better than the 08 combo of Tavale and Wynn. And Stommes has appeared out of nowhere since Davis came onboard. Alford to guard and I think Wynn moved to guard as well. Lots of changes and adjustments along with learning the new system. Brewster did praise the efforts of the front 5 on Dave and Sid.

I was certain the OL would be a major issue prior to the 08 season and that quickly became apparant once the season started. I have the same concern for the 09 OL.

I have just read what you've read Bayfield. I agree on the concerns for 2008, but I am guardedly optimistic about 2009. Davis is likely a better coach than Meyer and Carufel alone should help make things more cohesive. There's going to be more experience at the other positions and Alford is probably more suited to be a guard. Stommes' emergence surprises me as well, but there's no questioning his strength, athletic ability, and smarts. He's just always been looking for a position.

I don't want to be inconsistent, though. I always criticized Mason for his constant shuffling of guys and realize it is a risk and does show concern on the part of the coaches. We are deep in terms of bodies up front, but getting those guys in the best positions where they can play well consistently is going to be the challenge. That is what blunts my optimism a bit.

I thought the scrimmage was closed to the public and all but a select few reporters. so unless I heard wrong I'm not sure I'd put any stock in anything that didn't come from Brewster of sir Sid.

The first thing Coach Davis did was assemble 5 guys. The changes he made was indentifying the players who are hammers and those who could play in space. He inserted Trey Davis at Center. He takes a wrestler's mentality to the position. His agility, strength and hands are key. Moving Carufel into the right guard positon and teaming him with Wills makes any defense stack to that side. If they add Hageman, and Jonathan Hoese plays at 240. Running to the right side should be a given. Now Matt Stommes where did he come from? Eden Valley, Minnesota. No not Eden Praire. He is a Minnesota farm boy. Huge hands, strong and at 6'7 300 getting around him for a sack will not be easy. Alford to the inside is correct. He needs a target right in front of him. Now, what do these 5 players have that other lines have not. Size, yes bigger. Stronger I would think so, but if I miss my guess this group is nastier. And getting them together early will only add to their team work. This line has potential to be very good. Especially on third and short, and in the fourth quarter.

I'm just as excited as the next person to have Carufel on the line this year for us. But, is it really a given that he's going to be a starter all season long and dominate? He did lose his starting spot on a terrible offense at Notre Dame.

I thought the scrimmage was closed to the public and all but a select few reporters. so unless I heard wrong I'm not sure I'd put any stock in anything that didn't come from Brewster of sir Sid.

you are correct that the scrimmage was closed to all but select media, but according to the blog at gophersports:

"Saturday’s scrimmage was conducted in front of more than 250 high school football coaches, who also toured TCF Bank Stadium as part of the Minnesota Football Coaches Clinic. The clinic wrapped up with Saturday’s scrimmage at Gibson-Nagurski."

so there very well could have been people there who could post on the strib blog. but i WOULD NOT put stock in any think written in any comment on the blog at the strib.

You talk about Carufel was beaten out at ND. You must remember that OL is a position where most are 4th or 5th yr. players because it takes awhile to mature and get stronger. I'm sure he is a completely different player than he was 2 yrs. ago. Same will go for the Fr. and RS Fr. we had on the line last yr.

I wouldn't put stock in anything Bud writes. I've heard Brewster say Wills needs better conditioning and needs to get stronger but everything about Carufel has been positive and Brewster singled him out as the best lineman in the program last season (reference to Wade about why he is expected to start).

Maybe we should be excited at how good the d-line looks. We don't really know until April 25 when we get to see it firsthand. Six practices in to the spring while implementing a new system seems a little early to ring the warning bells.

Top Bottom