The next step in recruiting

Schlic,

You may hate Duke, but I think there's a lot of sense to what they are doing here. The reality is that the school's official website is really aimed at fans. It's there to inform about dates and times and results. It's meant to be a place where fans can buy tickets and t-shirts. It's meant to be a place that, in theory, can be used to be a substitute for the traditional media.

I truly think that this makes more sense than Tubby's site. This, however, is done to give potential recruits an inside look at the team. All of the video tells a story of who these guys are and what they would be like to be teammates. If it engages younger fans, that's great. But it's really about the program and is constantly being updated. Tubby's site is cool, but it's Tubby's site, not the site of the program. What Duke is doing is branding everything as Duke. The coach-labeled sites send mixed messages, imho, and can be interpreted in different ways by recruits.

Schlic,

You may hate Duke, but I think there's a lot of sense to what they are doing here. The reality is that the school's official website is really aimed at fans. It's there to inform about dates and times and results. It's meant to be a place where fans can buy tickets and t-shirts. It's meant to be a place that, in theory, can be used to be a substitute for the traditional media.

I truly think that this makes more sense than Tubby's site. This, however, is done to give potential recruits an inside look at the team. All of the video tells a story of who these guys are and what they would be like to be teammates. If it engages younger fans, that's great. But it's really about the program and is constantly being updated. Tubby's site is cool, but it's Tubby's site, not the site of the program. What Duke is doing is branding everything as Duke. The coach-labeled sites send mixed messages, imho, and can be interpreted in different ways by recruits.

Coach-labeled site may send mixed messages, but not in Duke's case. Coach K is Duke basketball and Duke basketball is Coach K. Still, I see what their doing and it makes sense.

The main reason I hate Duke is because they seem to always get really generous calls, and because ESPN is too busy drooling over them to give Midwest basketball it's due. Coach K's American Express recruiting commercials rub me the wrong way too. But none of those are Duke's fault. Gotta give them credit for running a great program, getting everyone to fall in love with them, and reaping the benefits.

Schlic,

Oh I'm aware that it makes sense. I just hate Duke:)

Top Bottom