The most uneasy part of Kansas Jayhawks’ NCAA run — and what we should make of it

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sam:

On Monday night, Kansas will play for a national championship here in New Orleans, a game the Jayhawks are favored to win, and if it just so happens to play out that way, be prepared for the NCAA Tournament’s most abnormal postgame moment.

NCAA president Mark Emmert would stand on a makeshift stage at the Superdome and hand the men’s basketball championship trophy to KU coach Bill Self, which would sort of be like bumping into your ex after an ugly breakup.

Except these two are tied together, whether they like it or not, the subjects of a story lurking in the background of the tournament’s title game.

In what seems like forever ago now, the NCAA in 2019 alleged Kansas had committed five Level I violations, and named Self and assistant Kurtis Townsend personally in accusing them of “intentionally and willfully engaging in NCAA violations.” Self and his lawyers have adamantly disputed the allegations, which revolve around payments made by Adidas representatives, KU’s apparel sponsor, to potential recruits. Self referred to the accusations as innuendo and three years later, after the involvement of an independent review process, we still await a resolution.

So the games go on.

Go Gophers!!

Now it's legal for Adidas to pay kids to go to Adidas schools.

So I guess it's no longer a problem.

per Sam:

On Monday night, Kansas will play for a national championship here in New Orleans, a game the Jayhawks are favored to win, and if it just so happens to play out that way, be prepared for the NCAA Tournament’s most abnormal postgame moment.

NCAA president Mark Emmert would stand on a makeshift stage at the Superdome and hand the men’s basketball championship trophy to KU coach Bill Self, which would sort of be like bumping into your ex after an ugly breakup.

Except these two are tied together, whether they like it or not, the subjects of a story lurking in the background of the tournament’s title game.

In what seems like forever ago now, the NCAA in 2019 alleged Kansas had committed five Level I violations, and named Self and assistant Kurtis Townsend personally in accusing them of “intentionally and willfully engaging in NCAA violations.” Self and his lawyers have adamantly disputed the allegations, which revolve around payments made by Adidas representatives, KU’s apparel sponsor, to potential recruits. Self referred to the accusations as innuendo and three years later, after the involvement of an independent review process, we still await a resolution.

So the games go on.

Go Gophers!!
Boycott the game and don’t watch - someone someday who is much smarter than me will figure out how to use thus as a real tool to have this be a thing in social media and get some coverage on it

Suppose the alternative is the school with fake classes
Yeah. College basketball sucks right now.

Miami is a program I don’t trust.
Houston has a coach I don’t trust.
Arizona…

By my estimation. Cheaters were:
2 of final 2
3 of final 4
5 of final 8
6 or 7 of sweet 16

Let's be honest, while the cheating bothers me what really bothers me is that all of this cheating is far worse than what Clem and the U of M got busted for. Our program was on the rise and it got shut down. Their programs cheat, far worse than us, and nothing happens.

The problem with the NCAA is that it is as unjust as life. If you are a big brand that makes a lot of money, you can do anything. If you threaten those big brands, watch out the NCAA may get you. NCAA is a joke and needs to go away. College athletics need to figure out what they are and do it fast before it is ruined.

Let's be honest, while the cheating bothers me what really bothers me is that all of this cheating is far worse than what Clem and the U of M got busted for. Our program was on the rise and it got shut down. Their programs cheat, far worse than us, and nothing happens.

The problem with the NCAA is that it is as unjust as life. If you are a big brand that makes a lot of money, you can do anything. If you threaten those big brands, watch out the NCAA may get you. NCAA is a joke and needs to go away. College athletics need to figure out what they are and do it fast before it is ruined.
100% agree that the uneven enforcement is a far bigger issue than the rule breaking itself. One school gets hit with a ton of punishments while another that is clearly cheating just as badly or worse gets a slap on the wrist or no punishment at all.

The cheating has been going on forever. In a perfect world it doesn't happen but we all know that isn't ever going to be reality.

Just curious what kinds of things you think are going on.

Is your base premise something like "there is no way schools like those should be able to get the level of talent they are getting"? Or something else?

Just curious what kinds of things you think are going on.

Is your base premise something like "there is no way schools like those should be able to get the level of talent they are getting"? Or something else?
Miami has a history of all kinds of violations as a university
Houston coach has a history of violations as an individual

My premise is based on their resumes and nothing else: they could be clean.

Miami has a history of all kinds of violations as a university
Houston coach has a history of violations as an individual

My premise is based on their resumes and nothing else: they could be clean.
There not !!

Post of the year so far! And the frick'n TV Talking Heads are having multiple orgasms babbling on and on about these cheating coaches.

You nailed it. During Ganglegate, I said the exact same things. Nothing has changed, except cheating is far more in the open.

Mn fans praised the school administration to no end as the bb program bared its soul. No other program does it. They build walls and everyone shuts up. Here, holier than thou.

And then wonder why Mn can’t win.

Cheat and you shall be rewarded. Today’s America.

It's not like any of these teams are literally cheating on the court. Except perhaps all the "flopping", but that is pretty pervasive.

They're playing basketball, by the rules of basketball. They're just better at that.

You have the best players on your team, you play the best basketball, you win the games.

Just a matter of a rapidly changing environment of what is or is no longer considered "cheating" for which players are allowed to play on your team and how they came to be on your team.

I will write it again, the NCAA does not have subpoena powers so it cannot force testimony under oath.
That severely limits its ability to investigate and punish.
I believe NC has cleaned up its act under their new coach but it still rankles to see Old Roy treated as a celebrity at the game.
Again, the MN case was cut and dried because the perpetrator-the tutor- blew the whistle.
Disgraced Steve Miller, fired for cause at AZ, will return to XU to be their HC.
That says more about XU than it does about Miller.
In general, I believe college BB is far more corrupt than college FB.

It's not like any of these teams are literally cheating on the court. Except perhaps all the "flopping", but that is pretty pervasive.

They're playing basketball, by the rules of basketball. They're just better at that.

You have the best players on your team, you play the best basketball, you win the games.

Just a matter of a rapidly changing environment of what is or is no longer considered "cheating" for which players are allowed to play on your team and how they came to be on your team.

I agree that the academic stuff isn't really "cheating" in the typical sense. I'm more upset that UNC slipped through the cracks when the Gophers got hit pretty hard for what I'd say is a much lighter infraction when compared to the sham programs at UNC.

Where I disagree is that I think programs buying commitments is absolutely cheating. Creates a completely unlevel playing field. And I hope that if proof shows Kansas doing these things.....that the title is stripped....even though I doubt the NCAA has the balls to do it.

Really....with Duke, Villanova, UNC, and Kansas being in the Final Four....the best outcome could be Kansas winning and having the title vacated.

Yeah. College basketball sucks right now.

Arizona…

By my estimation. Cheaters were:
2 of final 2
3 of final 4
5 of final 8
6 or 7 of sweet 16
You are crazy if the 4 teams in the final four did not universally break eligibility rules during their most recent title runs: Ku (check), UNC (check), Duke (Check--google "Zion's House), and Villanova (Check). Does that mean they have ever been sanctioned? Nope across the board. Meanwhile Minnesota's Final Four run never happened. Inset wide eyed disbelief emoji here.

You are crazy if the 4 teams in the final four did not universally break eligibility rules during their most recent title runs: Ku (check), UNC (check), Duke (Check--google "Zion's House), and Villanova (Check). Does that mean they have ever been sanctioned? Nope across the board. Meanwhile Minnesota's Final Four run never happened. Inset wide eyed disbelief emoji here.
Never cooperate with an ncaa investigation

I agree that the academic stuff isn't really "cheating" in the typical sense. I'm more upset that UNC slipped through the cracks when the Gophers got hit pretty hard for what I'd say is a much lighter infraction when compared to the sham programs at UNC.

Where I disagree is that I think programs buying commitments is absolutely cheating. Creates a completely unlevel playing field. And I hope that if proof shows Kansas doing these things.....that the title is stripped....even though I doubt the NCAA has the balls to do it.

Really....with Duke, Villanova, UNC, and Kansas being in the Final Four....the best outcome could be Kansas winning and having the title vacated.
Bolded: but what is this?

Particularly now. "Sir, you are accused of 'buying' a recruit with money. What say you?"

"Huh??!! No, no, no, you got it all wrong! I offered the recruit a NIL deal, through my LLC! That is perfectly within the rules!"

Top Bottom