The most fun I have ever had at a Gopher loss

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
I was bummed the Gophers didn't get their signature win on Saturday, just like everyone else. It is easy to nit pick the play of individual players, the coaching, the schemes, the running game, etc. etc.

But, lost in all those details is a lot of good news in my opinion.

First, the team itself. The Gophers showed they should be in every game this year and there is at least potential to have a great year on the field in the Big 10.

Remember all the comments over the last year about the "shallow bowl" in the stadium and people wondering if it woudn't be able to hold noise? Well, it was very clear in person and noted SEVERAL times on the ESPN broadcast that it was LOUD. It was very loud and after two games it can be said that TCF will be a tough place for visiting teams to play. What a difference from the Meat-ro-Dump. There was a window of opportunity for the Dome but that window closed when Lou Holtz left.

I TiVO'd both games and after getting home from the stadium watched both of them later. It is clear the atmosphere at TCF will have its own unique quality. You can tell the TV producers just can't get enough of the beautiful shots of downtown and the campus. The stadium shows extremely well on TV and the open end provides great material for the cameras during time outs or other breaks. The crowd also showed well when the Gophers were making a game of it. The announcers didn't fail to notice it (and I'm sure recruits are noticing it too). Speilman wondered out loud if the crowd was literally carrying the team. Perhaps that is a bit strong but hey, it was loud. I had high hopes and it looks to me that the TCF experience will be better than we had dreamed.

The last time the UofM had an on campus stadium... many of the games were not even on TV and the ones that were had a broadcast crew, a couple cameras, and that was about it. They never showed anything outside the stadium. Coverage of college football was like the stone age compared to now.

I know it has been said before but I find myself wanting to go earlier, stay later and it isn't just because the stadium is new. The entire atmosphere is light years beyond what the Gophers have had in the past. I was wondering if the 11:00 AM start would be sucking some of the energy away. I guess it did suck some of those late arriving students away but overall it was very exciting and it will continue to be a great experience, and a home field advantage for the long term.

I couldn't agree more. The atmoshpere in our stadium is amazing, better than I ever could have hoped for. It's definitely going to be a tough place for opponents to play. I recorded the game but haven't watched it yet but you're not the first person I've heard say that the announcers were impressed with the noise level. Looking forward to hearing their coments. It's just a perfect stadium.

It was a great game, very unexpected. I sit by the Cal band/cheerleaders section, and to see the look on their faces when it was 3rd and long for Cal was priceless.

Does anyone know if ESPN ever shows replays of games? I had intended on taping it and forgot....would love to watch it on t.v. and listen to the crowd noise .

Right after we tied it up at 21 and the crowd was super engaged with the Gophers defense on the field, I thought to myself,

"win-or-lose, I love this game." The environment was 100% college football nirvana. With 7 1/2 minutes left, we were neck-and-neck with a top-10 team.

Unlike a lot of folks, I feel much better about our team now than I did at the end of August. I didn't give us a lot of chance of winning on Saturday, but we sure made losing look good.

I reaaly do believe we can go undefeated in our conference games in the Bank. I am very proud of this team and can't wait to see how they play against Northwestern.

Go Gophers!

Does anyone know if ESPN ever shows replays of games? I had intended on taping it and forgot....would love to watch it on t.v. and listen to the crowd noise .
I think ESPN will often show the replay of their games overnight the day after, but that would already be too late for you. I'm not sure if they show another one during the week or not. If you have ESPN 360, you can watch the replay on your computer.

http://espn.go.com/broadband/espn360/schedule?

I couldn't agree more. The atmoshpere in our stadium is amazing, better than I ever could have hoped for. It's definitely going to be a tough place for opponents to play. I recorded the game but haven't watched it yet but you're not the first person I've heard say that the announcers were impressed with the noise level. Looking forward to hearing their coments. It's just a perfect stadium.

Nearly every recruit has said how impressed they were with how Gopher fans "support their team". Gopher fans supporting their team. How often do you remember that being said in the past?:clap: Curiously enough not one of them has mentioned empty seats in the upper corners of the end zone....:cool:

I only saw the game on TV, but your new stadium looks very impressive (and the crowd sounded very loud). While I am a Cal fan, I spent some years in Minnesota and remember seeing some Gopher games in the Dome and it was not good (even in the mid 80s when the Gophers were decent). I think the upgrade and the fan support it will bring, will finally allow Minnesota to get over the hump and a chance to move to the top of the Big 10. I think you guys are good enough to win the next 3 weeks, to put you at 5-1 when you go to Penn State.

Top Bottom