The Iverson/Sampson contrast

Doc1001

Reaction score
One is always smiling the other never smiles.

True, I actually saw Sampson excited for the first time during pregame. If you watch when they are in their huddle at the top of the key dancing or swaying, whatever, he is actually smiling and looks like he is having fun. It was actually kind of amusing.

One of them is more SMOOOOOTTTTHHHHH.
The other is a YEOMAN!!!!!!!

Guess which is which, both are gonna be stars.

...when they are in their huddle at the top of the key dancing or swaying, whatever...

I was excited to see them doing this as well. Last year, this was a pregame ritual for every game, with DJ in the center doing some crazy dancing stuff. The guys seem to enjoy it, and it's a fun way to get the game going right in front of the students.

am I alone in thinking

both these kids will be dominating games long before their senior year? Tubby is a genius.

Agreed

The sky is the limit with these two. Might we be saying the same thing next year with Royce & Rodney??????

Regular Season. 9-22........18-12.........18-3.........??-?, etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not remotely alone...

both these kids will be dominating games long before their senior year? Tubby is a genius.

These two are true freshmen and improving by the game. There will be setbacks, but both have shown real talent and skills.

RSIII is a smooth passer and has some nice moves on the block. With some maturity and 25-30 pounds of muscle, he seems poised to become a force. He's kind of the quiet assassin. I think some mistake his intensity for lack of energy.

Colt has good instincts and already has the frame and size. When he gets stronger and learns how to be more physical to match B10 play, he is going to own the glass. He had a REALLY pretty spin move on the block against Illinois that shows me that the offense is there, but I think most of his points will be doing the dirty work in the paint.

Not since Mychal Thomson and Kevin McHale have we had twin towers with this much talent and potential. It's shaping up to be fun for the next few years!

Sampson is very unemotional kinda like Tim Duncan. I remeber thinking that early in the season and I still rarely see much emotion out of him. I think he will develop into one of the best Gophers ever. Colton is learning and rebounding better, but Id say Junior year they will be beasts inside.

I don't think we'll have to wait until they are juniors. I expect both will put on some bulk and a lot of strength this off-season compare the two of them now vs. the first of the season. Go back and re-read the posts from the early season in which some almost suggested RSIII should be red shirted. Now they are at times a force.

Most importantly they have gotten to the level where the Tubster has been able to redirect the offense because of their presence down low. Honestly, now, who would have predicted that three months ago. Remember the MSU game to open the B10 season and watch Wednesday's game and we'll see just how far the entire team has come.

Sampson is a GREAT free throw shooter.. Colt needs some work on that end

Colt needs some work on that end
His shot needs work in general. The biggest issue I see is that rests the ball not on his fingertips when shooting, but on his palm, eventually rolling it up and off his fingers. Can't get nearly the touch with that much movement of the ball in your shot.

They should put these two through the Football team's S&C program in the offseason.

Next two games will be challenging for the big guys

Next week, we'll see just how far they've come over the last month.

Goran Suton has OWNED the Gophers the last couple years, averaging about 47 rebounds a frickin' game against them (okay, slight exaggeration). If the Gophers manage to even keep Suton to single digit rebounds, I'd be a happy camper. Suton is one player I can't wait to see leave this year.

Also interesting to see how things go against a significantly improved BJ Mullens at Value City Arena. Even though they started the game together again, I think as the game progressed against Illinois, having Sampson and Iverson banging on Tisdale all game long really wore on him and made him a non-factor. I hope the same happens against Mullens.

A split sure would be nice but the Gophers are looking at a tough couple of games next week. Nice to have a week off heading into them though. Break probably comes at a good time for the Rodents.

Top Bottom