The Gophers better watch out vs. the Cats

Gold Rush

Reaction score
This one has me concerned and I will be happy and relieved if we come out of it with a win. The Gophers need to pay attention and play this team just as if they were playing the best team in the country. You never take a Big Ten team for granted especially on the road, with the possible exception of Rutgers anyways. We have taken Northwestern for granted before -- and lost. And not just once, either.

- The Gophers have been shut out the last two times in Evanston. I look for the Wildcats to try to make this a low scoring game.
- The Wildcats still have a tough defense and can run the ball. If they force the Gophers into being a one dimensional (running) team they can stay with this team and make it a game they can win.
- The Wildcats may have found their RB and offensive spark - Maple Grove's Evan Hull rushed for 4 TD's and 220 yards last week.
- Pat Fitzgerald really wants this one. He is a smart coach and reports from Evanston are that he is making this their bowl game and would like nothing more than knocking off the top ten Gophers. On his press conference, he praised the OC, the DC, and the QB. He did not mention PJ Fleck at all and I am hearing he can't stand him. Usually, he is tripping over himself praising the other team's head coach. Fitz is a very smart coach and his teams are usually very smart, too.
- You can expect Northwestern to stack the box against the Gophers if Morgan can't go and bring in a ton of pressure to force mistakes. They will try to win with their defense and running game,
- This is a great spot for the Wildcats. They are catching the Gophers in between their two biggest rivalry games, Iowa and Wisconsin and have it at home. The Gophers are reading about all the nice bowl games they can go to at the end of the year and already hearing about the tough Wisconsin game. Northwestern is only 2-8 - this should be an easy one, right??
- The line has moved from -7 to -14 in just a few days. This is without even having the status of QB Morgan revealed. The oddsmakers know all the info we do and probably a lot more. This initial -7 sure looks like a sucker play to me. With that, a ton of money has been coming in on the Gophers. Which way do you think the oddsmakers want this one to go?

Even with all these factors coming in, the Gophers SHOULD win this game. But they better bring it hard the entire game and expect the Wildcats to fight the entire way. If the Gophers come in taking this one for granted or take this one lightly, they can and probably will lose this game. I have seen this one play out like this way too many times over the years, ESPECIALLY against the Wildcats. PJ Fleck kind of got a free pass with the loss to Iowa last week and as one poster said, "This is the calmest I have seen the Gopher board after a loss." It was a case where every thing that could go wrong DID go wrong and these things happen over a long season. This will not be the case if Northwestern pulls out a win. There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth and I think I will avoid this board for a few days. PJ Fleck will come under considerable fire and I think it would probably eliminate him from any coach of the year discussion. Losing this one would be REALLY tough for a long time because it's a game we SHOULD win as we have much more talent than they do, even with a backup QB. It won't eliminate them from winning the western division, but it will probably eliminate them from the Rose Bowl as I would expect Penn St. and possibly Michigan to vault past them even if they beat Wisconsin.

The bottom line -- be careful here and go down to Evanston playing it as hard as you can and really go after it. I don't see this as an easy game - as I have said, I have seen this one way too many times before. If QB Morgan can go, it would obviously be a huge boost, maybe one that Northwestern simply can not match up against.. Regardless of who plays QB, they need to go down there and show everyone this is a new Gopher football era and new culture. Things are different now!!

Everytime someone tells me to worry about Northwestern, they point out previous years. They have 2 wins. Last year they were Big Ten West champs. Last year is not this year. There will be more fans at the prep bowl than in Evanston. We could start Seth Green at QB and win. This was a bad team to start the year, and injuries have destroyed them. We can play our C game and win.

And if a 1 in a million miracle happens and we lose, we still need to beat Wisconsin to win the west. It's really the definition of a nothing game.

It sucks being a gopher fan doesn't it? This whole year we've had to worry about opponents because we're the gophers and we can't have nice things. If we were any other team we'd be looking on to Wisconsin but because of our history we can't sleep on NW.

Fact is...they are bad...really bad.

NW has a great defense and always plays Minnesota tough. Minnesota has been shut out the last two times in Evanston losing 39-0 in 2017 and 27-0 in 2015. NW is also the defending Big Ten West Champions and have lost a lot of close games this year. This will be a tough game for the Gophers and I hope they are prepared and come out aggressive and not so flat like they did in Iowa City last week. Will be interesting to see how this team rebounds. Even though the home crowd will not be an issue, Minnesota needs to start fast and get ahead early.

- The Gophers have been shut out the last two times in Evanston. I look for the Wildcats to try to make this a low scoring game.
- The Wildcats still have a tough defense and can run the ball. If they force the Gophers into being a one dimensional (running) team they can stay with this team and make it a game they can win.
- The Wildcats may have found their RB and offensive spark - Maple Grove's Evan Hull rushed for 4 TD's and 220 yards last week.
- Pat Fitzgerald really wants this one. He is a smart coach and reports from Evanston are that he is making this their bowl game and would like nothing more than knocking off the top ten Gophers. On his press conference, he praised the OC, the DC, and the QB. He did not mention PJ Fleck at all and I am hearing he can't stand him. Usually, he is tripping over himself praising the other team's head coach. Fitz is a very smart coach and his teams are usually very smart, too.

Local guy so wouldn't mind seeing Hull turn into a solid player but I don't think I would read much into his huge day against one of the worst defenses ever. UMASS lost to Rutgers by 28, Rutgers, a team that can't score managed to score 48 points against them. Hull has 8 carries for 15 yards and zero TDs against teams that actually put a defense on the field.

Northwestern will absolutely try to make this a low scoring game because that is their only hope with their offense which is a complete mess this year.

You can never overlook anyone in the Big Ten and I don't think Fleck will let them take Northwestern lightly after the Iowa loss where we did not play well. This is 100% a game we win if we don't beat ourselves as we are a significantly better team then Northwestern this year.

A loss to Northwestern this year would be extremely disappointing.

NW has a great defense and always plays Minnesota tough. Minnesota has been shut out the last two times in Evanston losing 39-0 in 2017 and 27-0 in 2015. NW is also the defending Big Ten West Champions and have lost a lot of close games this year. This will be a tough game for the Gophers and I hope they are prepared and come out aggressive and not so flat like they did in Iowa City last week. Will be interesting to see how this team rebounds. Even though the home crowd will not be an issue, Minnesota needs to start fast and get ahead early.

Exactly. Starting fast will be key. The last thing you want is Northwestern feeling they have a chance to win. You can win the fight many times by hitting them as hard as you can and taking the fight right out of them.

NU has a good defense, they do not have a great defense. And of their 8 loses on the season only 2 (Nebraska and Purdue) have been within 1 score at the end.

I see some posters talking about this game like Northwestern and Iowa are the same. Iowa had 3 loses on the year all to ranked teams and all close. Northwestern has been blown out by the good teams they have played (Iowa, Ohio State, Indiana) and has played close with the mediocre to bad teams on their schedule (Purdue, Nebraska. Stanford).

They did have a solid game defensively against Wisconsin and we will need to execute on offense as I am sure their defense will be fundamentally sound like all Fitzgerald coached teams are. But the bottom line is that this is an extremely winnable game as long as we don't beat ourselves with turnovers the way we did against them last year at TCF.

Losing this game would be a feat worthy of ridicule. Minnesota wins by 2-3 touchdowns without Morgan. With Morgan it’s Rutgers 2.0

We may actually have more Gopher fans in the stands for this one.

In 2010 we were a total disaster. We barely beat Middle Tennessee away to open the season and then dropped 9 consecutive while giving up an average of 36 points per game with Tim Brewster getting fired. With two games to go, we beat Illinois on the road and with some confidence in place came home to beat #24 ranked Iowa, possibly costing the Hawkeyes a January 1 bowl in the process (the Outback Bowl took Penn State, the Gator Bowl took Michigan).

No one gave us a chance. The Hawkeyes might not have taken us seriously. Despite that, we got the job done. Northwestern is having a terrible season and are riddled with injuries, but they just won for the first time since mid December and have to feel much looser and more self assured. This is the definition of a trap game given how we might be mentally after falling to Iowa and with the Wisconsin game looming. This is absolutely a losable game if we aren't sharp.

Kill towards the end of his career had a quote

"We're still not good enough to look past anyone, we're not that kind of team yet."

I'm inclined to agree with that.

Losing this game would be a feat worthy of ridicule. Minnesota wins by 2-3 touchdowns without Morgan. With Morgan it’s Rutgers 2.0

We may actually have more Gopher fans in the stands for this one.

That is very possible. Quick glance at stub hub shows lower level seats being sold for $6. They don't draw well when they are winning, can't imagine what it will be like with them being 2-8.

According to Wikipedia they drew 37K for Purdue and that number dropped to 29K for UMASS. My bet would be that is tickets sold however and probably isn't actual gameday attendance.

This is the definition of a trap game given how we might be mentally after falling to Iowa and with the Wisconsin game looming. This is absolutely a losable game if we aren't sharp.

The trap game angle would apply more if we had beaten Iowa. I actually think the loss makes this less of a trap game because the Iowa loss probably brought the team back down to Earth some.

Haven't seen anyone say we can't lose this game, but it won't happen if we play the way we are capable of playing.

The trap game angle would apply more if we had beaten Iowa. I actually think the loss makes this less of a trap game because the Iowa loss probably brought the team back down to Earth some.

Haven't seen anyone say we can't lose this game, but it won't happen if we play the way we are capable of playing.

Yeah toss in star QB possibly out. Hard to call this a trap game in any way.

I had heard all year that UMASS is awful. Like, historically awful. Northwestern not only failed to cover the spread, but actually "only" scored 45 points against UMASS. This is one of UMASS' better defensive efforts of the season. UMASS equaled Northwestern in first downs and Northwestern only had 75 yards passing. My confidence level is somewhat high of victory even if one of the freshman QBs starts this game. I'd say I am not as confident as I was prior to Rutgers, but probably somewhere in the range of my confidence level leading up to the games against Illinois or Maryland.

This is a Big Ten game on the road in November. NOTHING is certain. On any given Saturday in November in ANY given Big Ten Stadium ANY unlikely outcome IS possible. Play as though the season depends on the outcome GOPHER...it does.

It always best to prepare for and expect their best. Yeah, I know... duh....

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

I had heard all year that UMASS is awful. Like, historically awful. Northwestern not only failed to cover the spread, but actually "only" scored 45 points against UMASS. This is one of UMASS' better defensive efforts of the season. UMASS equaled Northwestern in first downs and Northwestern only had 75 yards passing. My confidence level is somewhat high of victory even if one of the freshman QBs starts this game. I'd say I am not as confident as I was prior to Rutgers, but probably somewhere in the range of my confidence level leading up to the games against Illinois or Maryland.

So I finally watched the "highlights" from that game. Northwestern didn't pull away until really late in the game and I can see why the UMASS defense is so bad....holy crap they are bad. If you want to see some bad football take a look at the video.

So I finally watched the "highlights" from that game. Northwestern didn't pull away until really late in the game and I can see why the UMASS defense is so bad....holy crap they are bad. If you want to see some bad football take a look at the video.

Those UMASS linebackers have an inexplicable ability to not be anywhere near the guy with the ball.

Like if you tried I don't think you could be that far off ...

I'm not expecting the Gophers to win this game if Morgan doesn't play.

Northwestern is the worst team we will play all year. Yes that includes an FCS team. If you have not watched UMass it is pretty hard to describe how terrible they are. They hung with the most of the first half and then clearly gave up in the 2nd half. But there are 0 players on this NW team, Hull would be about 6th or 7th on our RB depth chart. Smith would be behind Kramer/Clark on the depth chart. I think we absolutely steam roll them.

UMass’ defense is bad, but what stood out to me even more is how incompetent Aiden Smith is. I don’t know everything about their QB situation, but how bad are things when he’s the better option than the 5-star transfer?

The Gophers should win this game easily, and the only reason Northwestern isn't considered a total joke in the Big Ten is that Rutgers is there to make them look slightly better. Too many people are bringing history into a game where the teams that will play Saturday look nothing like those previous teams.

If this game is close in the 4th quarter, we messed up somewhere.

Like I have said before, stats don't mean squat in the home stretch. It is a battle of wills and attrition. Home court advantage is always tough in Big Ten road games late in the season.

This is the wounded cats' redemption super bowl. They are licking their chops to knock off a 10th ranked Gopher squad and knock them out of Rose Bowl contention and/or title contention. You bet that they are going to be motivated.

The Gophers better focus and bring their A game. This is mano-a-mano Big Ten Football at its best win or lose.

Fleck is going against the veteran Fitz and don't forget, his defending Big Ten West team. There are still some very good players on the Wildcat team. It is not like they all fall off the earth and die. We have to watch for breakout freshmen players that we have never seen before.

ONE GAME CHAMPIONSHIP

All these folks talking about how easy it should be are missing the fact that Northwestern was good enough to get into a championship game...

This is a Big Ten game on the road in November. NOTHING is certain. On any given Saturday in November in ANY given Big Ten Stadium ANY unlikely outcome IS possible. Play as though the season depends on the outcome GOPHER...it does.
I couldn't agree more! We have been Gopher fans for a long time and we have seen just about everything over the years. I am hoping there is something behind the "new culture" and new era talk that PJ Fleck is talking about. For those that think this one is in the bag and it will be an easy win, we have seen that one before and it usually doesn't end very well for the maroon and gold.

Wow... basically 14-6 at the end of the 3rd quarter. (NW returned a blocked field goal about 90 yards). Those were two, really bad teams.

If anyone wants to have a stoke, just watch these "highlights" 3-4 times in a row. Some of the worst football I've ever seen at the FBS level.

Northwestern is the worst team we will play all year. Yes that includes an FCS team. If you have not watched UMass it is pretty hard to describe how terrible they are. They hung with the most of the first half and then clearly gave up in the 2nd half. But there are 0 players on this NW team, Hull would be about 6th or 7th on our RB depth chart. Smith would be behind Kramer/Clark on the depth chart. I think we absolutely steam roll them.
Smith would be behind Kramer/Clark/Green and Santaga

Top Bottom